Author Topic: Is there a Goldfinger rom with everything unlocked?  (Read 2417 times)

Offline BolinCaker

• View Profile
    • CakerBaby
Is there a Goldfinger rom with everything unlocked?
« on: March 26, 2019, 01:56 AM »
Like from the save file? Thanks in advance

Offline pcfreak324

• View Profile
Re: Is there a Goldfinger rom with everything unlocked?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 12:57 PM »
Like from the save file? Thanks in advance
Just use a GoldenEye save file. It is compatible.

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=1093.msg10893#msg10893

Offline BolinCaker

• View Profile
    • CakerBaby
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 06:44 AM »

Just use a GoldenEye save file. It is compatible.

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=1093.msg10893#msg10893
[/quote]

It didn’t work for me. I renamed the save file the same name as the Goldfinger rom too. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

Offline pcfreak324

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 10:37 AM »
It didn’t work for me. I renamed the save file the same name as the Goldfinger rom too. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

B) Tell the Everdrive 64 to use the 4kb EEPROM/EEP save format for the game. To do this, you must open the file 'save_db.txt' that is in the 'ED64' folder on the Everdrive's SD card, and add the line:

GF=1

to the end of the 'save_db.txt' file. Save the updated 'save_db.txt' file back into the 'ED64' folder, overwriting the original file, and now Goldfinger 64 will save correctly on your Everdrive 64.

Offline BolinCaker

• View Profile
    • CakerBaby
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 11:39 AM »
For whatever reason, I don’t have any text files in my ED64 folder. My other save files work fine without it though.. I don’t know what to do. Thank you for your help

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 01:19 PM »
You should have a file called save_db.txt in your \ED64\ folder on your SD card.

If you don't have one, then go to your \ED64\ folder, and manually create an empty save_db.txt file, and copy the data from the first post in the thread at:

https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=6126

into your \ED64\save_db.txt file.

To create an empty .txt file, just right click the mouse in the \ED64\ folder, then in the pop-up menu select New, then select Text Document, and rename the text document to save_db.txt

If you want to know what the save_db.txt does, basically, when you use the Everdrive 64, the games (or roms, as they are also known) that should save their game-save data to their cartridge instead save to the SD card inside the ED64, of course. The problem is, there are several game-save type chips in use in the various game cartridges, and the ED64 needs to know which game expects which type, or the game can't save properly.

The ED64 contains a database that tells it what save type to use with each game, but of course this only works for games that are known at the time of the database's creation, so any games released later, such as hacked games (where a game's code is altered to add new levels or whatever), unreleased games that finally emerge, prototypes of games, etc, won't be recognised, and the ED64 won't know which save type to use for that game.

To counter this, Krikzz added a feature whereby the user could add a save type setting for any new games that emerged. You add the settings by editing the text file 'save_db.txt' that is in the ED64 folder, adding the new setting to the bottom of the list.

Offline jonesalmighty

• View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 07:28 PM »
You should have a file called save_db.txt in your \ED64\ folder on your SD card.

If you don't have one, then go to your \ED64\ folder, and manually create an empty save_db.txt file, and copy the data from the first post in the thread at:

https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=6126

into your \ED64\save_db.txt file.

To create an empty .txt file, just right click the mouse in the \ED64\ folder, then in the pop-up menu select New, then select Text Document, and rename the text document to save_db.txt

If you want to know what the save_db.txt does, basically, when you use the Everdrive 64, the games (or roms, as they are also known) that should save their game-save data to their cartridge instead save to the SD card inside the ED64, of course. The problem is, there are several game-save type chips in use in the various game cartridges, and the ED64 needs to know which game expects which type, or the game can't save properly.

The ED64 contains a database that tells it what save type to use with each game, but of course this only works for games that are known at the time of the database's creation, so any games released later, such as hacked games...

Or you can use the unofficial official os, as this already has goldfinger support added... I.e. no need for the save_db.txt
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth...

Offline n64hack

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 12:28 PM »
Jones are you the guy who did the custom os?

Offline jonesalmighty

• View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 04:19 PM »
Jones are you the guy who did the custom os?

If you are referring to "Altra64" or the "unofficial official OS" then yes... Although both are based on prior work by Saturnu and Krikzz...
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth...