Author Topic: Master System games with Mega Sg + X7  (Read 3708 times)

Offline skootdiggity

• View Profile
Master System games with Mega Sg + X7
« on: March 27, 2019, 05:27 AM »
So, I'm trying to load Master System games from my X7 running on a Mega Sg and failing miserably. I'm not quite sure if this is even possible or not as there is some contradicting information out there. For example, GameSack's review of the Mega Sg says "If you have Master System games on your Genesis EverDrive, they're not gonna run here", while My Life in Gaming's review states "The Mega EverDrive X7 works like a charm and will boot Genesis, Master System and even SG-1000 games". Should this be possible, or do I need a Master EverDrive?

I personally have never had any success booting Master System games from my X7, on either a Model 1 US Genesis or a CDX. I'm running bios 3.06, which should be new enough to support this, but I just get a black screen when loading .sms files. I do have the 3 different region sms bios files in my \MEGA folder, named correctly.

Any thoughts? Do I just have a bad X7 perhaps? I had given up on this feature in the past, but was hoping the Mega Sg would be able to get around the problem.

Update:
I ended up fixing this myself in just a few minutes by deleting the 3 sms bios files in the \MEGA folder. I can confirm that you can load both SMS and SG-1000 games from the Mega EverDrive X7 on the Mega Sg.

Enjoy.

Thanks

« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 05:37 AM by skootdiggity »

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
Re: Master System games with Mega Sg + X7
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 12:28 PM »
Probably your bios were bad. Thank you for reporting back.

Can Can you test with Lion King and James Bond 007 sms games?

Offline skootdiggity

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 04:48 AM »
As far as the bios are concerned, they may have been bad. I noticed though that SmokeMonster posted this tweet a few hours after my forum post, "Mega Sg PSA: If you're using a Mega EverDrive and can't boot SMS ROMs, delete any SMS BIOS stored in /MEGA. This is a temporary workaround and a fix is being worked on." This implies to me that it was a known issue on the Mega Sg and would affect anyone, regardless of whether their bios were valid or not.

As for the 2 SMS games you mentioned, I was able to load the PAL version of The Lion King fine, but the PAL version of 007 froze after playing about 5 seconds of audio.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 04:51 AM by skootdiggity »

Offline zanth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 05:09 AM »
So, I'm trying to load Master System games from my X7 running on a Mega Sg and failing miserably. I'm not quite sure if this is even possible or not as there is some contradicting information out there. For example, GameSack's review of the Mega Sg says "If you have Master System games on your Genesis EverDrive, they're not gonna run here", while My Life in Gaming's review states "The Mega EverDrive X7 works like a charm and will boot Genesis, Master System and even SG-1000 games". Should this be possible, or do I need a Master EverDrive?

I personally have never had any success booting Master System games from my X7, on either a Model 1 US Genesis or a CDX. I'm running bios 3.06, which should be new enough to support this, but I just get a black screen when loading .sms files. I do have the 3 different region sms bios files in my \MEGA folder, named correctly.

Any thoughts? Do I just have a bad X7 perhaps? I had given up on this feature in the past, but was hoping the Mega Sg would be able to get around the problem.

Update:
I ended up fixing this myself in just a few minutes by deleting the 3 sms bios files in the \MEGA folder. I can confirm that you can load both SMS and SG-1000 games from the Mega EverDrive X7 on the Mega Sg.

Enjoy.

Thanks

Can I ask you if you could post your order number for your Mega Sg? I ordered mine the day they went up, and mine has not shipped yet. A buddy of mine ordered two hours before me, and his shipped last week Friday. Just trying to gather information.

Also, thank you for posting the info on the SMS games! Can't wait to try it myself!

Offline skootdiggity

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 05:20 AM »
Sorry, I don't feel comfortable posting my order number on here, but I will say that I also ordered mine immediately after the preorders went up. Mine shipped last Friday and I received it yesterday (Tuesday).

Offline zanth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 06:18 AM »
Sorry, I don't feel comfortable posting my order number on here, but I will say that I also ordered mine immediately after the preorders went up. Mine shipped last Friday and I received it yesterday (Tuesday).

That's fair, would you be comfortable saying if yours was higher or lower than 18400(not my actual number)?

Offline skootdiggity

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 06:30 AM »
Mine is in the 17000-17500 range

Offline zanth

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 06:35 AM »
Cheers, appreciate the information. I'm seeing tons and tons of reports of people getting theirs already, and mine is yet to ship, I'm starting to get kinda pissed off, and they're not responding to contact attempts. My order went in mid-afternoon on day one. /sigh Thanks again for your time, I really do appreciate it.

Offline skootdiggity

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 06:50 AM »
No prob. Hope you get yours soon.

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 07:51 AM »
As far as the bios are concerned, they may have been bad. I noticed though that SmokeMonster posted this tweet a few hours after my forum post, "Mega Sg PSA: If you're using a Mega EverDrive and can't boot SMS ROMs, delete any SMS BIOS stored in /MEGA. This is a temporary workaround and a fix is being worked on." This implies to me that it was a known issue on the Mega Sg and would affect anyone, regardless of whether their bios were valid or not.

As for the 2 SMS games you mentioned, I was able to load the PAL version of The Lion King fine, but the PAL version of 007 froze after playing about 5 seconds of audio.

Thank you for testing them.
The Lion King boots but it black screens before the level start.

So the Mega SG don't like the bios, so they weren't bad, interesting. The Mega Everdrive X series and V2 can't run some Master System games correctly, including those two I mentioned. The older Everdrive MD could run them.

Sg 1000 games should work fine (on original hardware the game runs, you can hear it but the screen is black).

Offline Adrian Gauna

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2019, 10:24 AM »
The Jungle Book doesn't play correctly either, after level 2, the game resets back to the title screen. Only on X7, original game cart works perfectly.

Offline csoren

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2019, 02:39 PM »
Could one of you lucky Mega Sg owners try the SMS game Micro Machines (PAL)? This title uses a video mode that only works on an SMS II and not on a Mega Drive.

Together with the SG-1000 support, if this works it might just push me over the fence
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 02:41 PM by csoren »

Offline nastc1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2019, 05:30 PM »
Just wait for the Jailbroken firmware to (hopefully) be released for the Mega sg. The game compatibility should be better than the Mega everdrive, and you should be able to load the SD with SMS and GG games as well. When I got my NT mini for NES games. The SD card slot on that thing has insanely good compatibility, so good in fact that I stopped using my N8.

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2019, 01:04 AM »
Sorry for going off topic but does the Super NT have a jailbroken firmware?

Offline zanth

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2019, 01:33 AM »
Sorry for going off topic but does the Super NT have a jailbroken firmware?

Yes, but it has zero support for any special chipsets, and the SNES has about 15 of those.