Author Topic: Mega Everdrive Obsolete?  (Read 3682 times)

Offline JonJonXD

• View Profile
Mega Everdrive Obsolete?
« on: April 20, 2019, 07:02 PM »
With the Mega SG Jailbreak out, outside of 32X support, do we think that the Mega Everdrive is obsolete?

Also, with the jail break, are we able to load Sega CD ISOs off of SD?

I am thinking outside of beign a backup RAM cart for Sega CD games (unless that is also possible with the jail break), that the Mega Everdrive is for those of thus still rocking original hardware.

I personally have the entire setup and bought the Mega Everdrive V2 back in 2016, but the allure of getting a Mega SG to my Sega CD model 2 and that's it is appealing and much cleaner to setup (unless I want to play on my CRT).

Offline Alvis

• View Profile
Re: Mega Everdrive Obsolete?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 08:15 PM »
You're making a lot of assumptions about what people value in the setups they use to play their games.

If I wanted to use an emulator I'd just use a free one, not one that costs $200.

Nothing's going to replace original hardware in my collection.

HDMI output is pretty much last-place on my "features" list (I'm not even sure I'd call it that).

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 10:31 PM »
Now Sega SG isn't a software emulator but I agree that there is no way these FPGA clones are replacing the original hardware yet.

Offline Alvis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 11:20 PM »
I find the difference between an emulator implemented as FPGA logic or as software for a general-purpose microprocessor immaterial. It's still emulation.

Offline JonJonXD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 04:26 AM »
Those are great points!

Isn't the FPGA supposed to be the same? It's similar to how in the SD2SNES the FPGA emulating the special chips is acceptable in the speed running community as legit.

I can agree though that it isn't the same as having the actual hardware setup, but rather a happy medium.

I personally prefer to play on my CRT with the HD retrovision cables.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 05:43 AM »
I find the difference between an emulator implemented as FPGA logic or as software for a general-purpose microprocessor immaterial. It's still emulation.

It's 'simulation' not 'emulation' there is a difference on how they function.

More accurately its hardware reproduction... as it mimicking actual hardware chip by chip rather than running the game on a software level.

It might still be accurate to call it 'hardware emulation', but it's more than 'software emulation' which most "emulators" are. So its bottom up 'functionality' (every chip of hte original hardware being reproduced) rather than 'top down' like most emulators (emulator access rom and runs it on modern hardware, along with how modern hardware access memory differently.).

Those are great points!

Isn't the FPGA supposed to be the same? It's similar to how in the SD2SNES the FPGA emulating the special chips is acceptable in the speed running community as legit.

I can agree though that it isn't the same as having the actual hardware setup, but rather a happy medium.

I personally prefer to play on my CRT with the HD retrovision cables.

Yes FPGA on a SD2SNES 'simulates' the actual hardware functionality, it doesn't emulate.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 05:57 AM by Galron »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 05:37 PM »
Pretty much every Everdrive is using FPGA or CPLD to emulate/simulate/reproduce the cartridge part. Not only the SD2SNES.

Depending on how well the hardware reproduction is done there may be some or no differences to the original system.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 10:19 PM »
Nuu good point... if someone doesn't consider using anything but the original hardware to be 'emulation' then they'll have to toss out their flash cart collections…. Because they are emulating/simulating/replicating original hardware but using newer chips....
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 10:23 PM by Galron »

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 02:18 PM »
Oh, also two things that make Mega Everdrive X5 and X7 slightly better than the jailbroken Mega SG, is that they can 'save without resetting'. The Mega SG jailbreak firmware, requires you to exit to Mega SG's menu to save data.

X7 also offers save states for 'some' games. Mega SG does not. X7 might also have a few extra features over the Mega SG, but most of these are probably pretty minor... Pause on SMS games?
Saves
When a game is exited to the menu, it will prompt you to save. Return to the file menu and save your progress before powering down.

Offline Davestra

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 10:25 AM »
Now this, I'd have to agree with.