Author Topic: VA6 Genesis - X3 Freezing Issues  (Read 2006 times)

Offline FarewellTransmission

• View Profile
VA6 Genesis - X3 Freezing Issues
« on: April 28, 2019, 02:12 PM »
Hey Guys!

Another report of this issue. Earthworm Jim freezes at the beginning of the first level with my Genesis but not on my friends Genesis. I also have the issues with Street Fighter II mentioned in other threads.

Digging through the forum I found a handful of people reporting this exact set of issues and it being related to the VA6. (Or one variety of the VA6 at least)

Can this be fixed in an OS update?
Why is this happening?
What more obscure games might be affected that no one has found yet?
Can I patch these ROMs/is there anything I can do in the meantime?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 02:20 PM by FarewellTransmission »

• View Profile
Re: VA6 Genesis - X3 Freezing Issues
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 09:30 PM »
Oddly enough when earthworm Jim came up when using “play random game” it worked but froze on the third level 😢.

Tried loading another rom then reloading Earthworm Jim and it is now freezing at first level.

Dunno if this helps you troubleshoot why this is happening at all.

Offline Earthwormjim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 02:30 AM »
I have the same problem with a genesis model 1 and everdrive x3 , it freezes when the FIRST level starts of earthworm Jim , I did try multiple roms , sometimes I get a menu popup, but most times the game just freezes when the first level starts
Normally I would just buy a non tmss genesis but they cost to way to much right now

Can you guys fix this freeze via software update ?

My model number GENESIS  is FJ8USASEGA

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 12:59 PM »
Yes I also had it at the start of the first level most times. Sometimes freezes, sometimes brings up a save state menu (which x3 doesn’t even have) Just once did it get to the third level and then freeze.

Using level skip game genie codes allows you to play some levels for those looking for a half fix in the meantime.

If you look through the forums there are many posts with the same issue from different people. They are all model 1s and seemingly all VA6 board revisions.

I have tested a huge portion of the Genesis/Megadrive library and so far EWJ and Street Fighter 2 are the only games that freeze
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 01:03 PM by FarewellTransmission »

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 01:49 PM »
Can you guys try Contra Hard Corps? Back then a cousin's console would lock up after a couple minutes of gameplay.

Offline gaavoid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 05:53 PM »
This happened on my PAL Mega Drive (now sold) with Mega Everdrive X3. I believe it was a VA6.5 (no EXT port on the back). I did test on another PAL MD with the EXT port on the back (didn’t open it up to check revision as it wasn’t my console) and it also crashed in the same way.
I now have a VA6 Genesis model 1 (with EXT port & high definition graphics logo), VA2.3 Genesis model 2 and a VA4 region modded PAL Mega Drive model 2. No crashes on any of them. So my recommendation is to buy another Genesis.

I also have a VA2 model 3 Genesis which seems to corrupt the SD card whenever the console is reset or powered off and back on again. Not sure exactly why. I know on the older MD Everdrive firmware there was a Genesis 3 mode for it to operate correctly. Maybe something similar is needed for the current Mega ED?

So avoid the model 3 and the VA6.5 model 1.

I had an issue with a model 1 VA4 where the X3 would hang on the initialisation screen and then an error message would appear when resetting the console while using a Master System ROM.

Offline Licentious Howler

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 04:37 AM »
fwiw I seem to have no issue with US versions of Earthworm Jim or Street Fighter II after spending maybe 15-20 minutes with each and running EWJ's first mission a few times over and just playing arcade in SFII. It's possible it could freeze if I spend more time, but I'm pretty sure it's not worth further testing.

I do have a weird issue where Master System games are unplayable because they always result in a black screen; I can hear the game running in the background and press the start button, make inputs and hear noise and/or music, but I can't see anything because it's all black. This doesn't happen with any Genesis games I've tested so far, but happens with every SMS game.
I tested the cart without making any changes to the SD or contents on a friend's Genesis unit (HDG non-TMSS--probably VA2 or 3?), and it worked there even though he was using a cruddy generic power brick.

Tested on an HDG TMSS Genesis with EXT port, Mega Everdrive X3 with OS 3.06 and 3.07, over composite and RGB cables, and with an original OEM PSU for Model 1 Genesis and an original 6-button controller if that should even matter. There's not a lot of settings to play with on the X3, and certainly none I can think of that should matter here.

Unfortunately I don't have access to a Power Base converter to test with, and didn't really plan on buying one. I don't really expect a solution, just wanted to share my experience if it helps anybody. Will probably purchase a non-TMSS unit soon and cross my fingers.

Offline Licentious Howler

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 06:01 AM »
Wanted to update that it turns out my Genesis was able to display Master System games the whole time.
It was my XRGB-3 unit that wasn't playing ball (I had long since abandoned TVs in my apartment and have used the XRGB-3 with computer monitors).

I tested the VA6 Genesis on that friend's TV and it displayed perfectly (and you could visibly see the resolution/timing switch going from the EverDrive screen to the SMS game).

What tipped me off was the non-TMSS Sega Genesis I bought also not working, and I knew something was up, so I made sure to test the exact same VA6 unit on a different TV. Kind of surprising as the XRGB-3 has worked with anything else I've ever thrown at it.  : P
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 06:03 AM by Licentious Howler »

Offline Earthwormjim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 01:00 AM »
So this never got fixed ?

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 02:36 AM »
At the moment there is the only known compatibility problem related to x3/x5. They may hangs at japanese model1 VA4. Most notable in Thunder Force IV:  usually game hangs shortly at start intro. Was fixed with cart Rev.D.
Anyone who has this problem may request cart exchange via "contact us" form.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 02:40 AM by KRIKzz »

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 06:11 PM »
Sorry for being unrelated Krikzz, but can you tell if this rev D fixes problems with certain SMS games? Like James Bond 007 (keeps resetting) and Lion King (hangs after start the game).

Is there any way to apply the fix on rev B x5 carts?