Author Topic: EverDrive DS Possible Someday?  (Read 14429 times)

Offline EmperorOfTigers

• View Profile
EverDrive DS Possible Someday?
« on: May 15, 2019, 02:13 PM »
I was wondering if it's possible and/or likely that we could see an EverDrive for Nintendo DS as there are other flash carts for it but none of such high quality and design as the EverDrive carts. I feel like there is a demand there for a DS flash cart that people can actually trust.

Just my thoughts though so other opinions would be welcomed.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
Re: EverDrive DS Possible Someday?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 03:26 PM »
To be honest there have been DS flashcarts that went beyond quality of Everdrive in the past. Offering all kinds of extra bells and whistles that not even Krikkz offers in most of his flashcarts. The problem is they didn't sell well, or those bells and whistles came at a price (huge battery drains).

https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Flashcart_Comparison_Chart

The bigger problem is many of the companies ended up going out of business, and there is no 3rd party support to keep them alive... For example Cyclone DS iEvolution was the only one to have DSi support, and the company never released their source code which would have allowed other flash cart developers to add DSi support.

The Supercard DSTwo + was also rather nice, but the company also went out of business. There hasn't been any updates to the emulators on it, one of its main draws. But it was a fullly featured DS flashcart too with save states and cheat code supports. You could also run dos on it to a point with one of the apps you could get for it!

We also live in an age where 3DS is fully hacked, and there is ability to hack the DSi as well. So flashcarts are somewhat less useful.

Stil if Krikkz made a flashcart that offered everything DsTwo + could do, and also offered DSi compatiblity I'd buy it in a heartbeat...

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 03:33 PM by Galron »

Offline EmperorOfTigers

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 06:32 PM »
To be honest there have been DS flashcarts that went beyond quality of Everdrive in the past. Offering all kinds of extra bells and whistles that not even Krikkz offers in most of his flashcarts. The problem is they didn't sell well, or those bells and whistles came at a price (huge battery drains).

The bigger problem is many of the companies ended up going out of business, and there is no 3rd party support to keep them alive... For example Cyclone DS iEvolution was the only one to have DSi support, and the company never released their source code which would have allowed other flash cart developers to add DSi support.

The Supercard DSTwo + was also rather nice, but the company also went out of business. There hasn't been any updates to the emulators on it, one of its main draws. But it was a fullly featured DS flashcart too with save states and cheat code supports. You could also run dos on it to a point with one of the apps you could get for it!

We also live in an age where 3DS is fully hacked, and there is ability to hack the DSi as well. So flashcarts are somewhat less useful.

Stil if Krikkz made a flashcart that offered everything DsTwo + could do, and also offered DSi compatiblity I'd buy it in a heartbeat...
Thank you for the reply. That's really interesting. Which DS flash cart do you think is the best then overall?

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 09:12 PM »
DSTWO/DSTWO+ is probably still best, even if you don't care about the emulators it offers. But it's missing DSi game support and most games needs to be patched to work. It patches them in memory though so you don't need to patch them before putting them on SD card unlike some older flashcarts. You can choose to start them without patching which fixes some games but breaks most.

I don't remember if Download Play works or not. On my old slot-2 M3 it didn't I think.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 10:37 PM »
Oh I didn' t know it 'patched' stuff, I usually just drop nointro sets into SD card.

Offline EmperorOfTigers

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 10:38 PM »
DSTWO/DSTWO+ is probably still best, even if you don't care about the emulators it offers. But it's missing DSi game support and most games needs to be patched to work. It patches them in memory though so you don't need to patch them before putting them on SD card unlike some older flashcarts. You can choose to start them without patching which fixes some games but breaks most.

I don't remember if Download Play works or not. On my old slot-2 M3 it didn't I think.
Ok thank you very much for explaining. To be fair there were not many DSi games and even less that are actually worth playing. The emulators definitely interest me but are not the most important part.

With the patching does it patch them for you or do you need to download and add the patches for it?

Download play isn't really a problem for me. I mostly just want to use one for ROM hacks, emulators etc.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 10:43 PM »

Thank you for the reply. That's really interesting. Which DS flash cart do you think is the best then overall?

For most things you could probably get by with an R4i Gold or whatever its called. It doesn't really have power for emulators... but since it isn't powering its own onboard CPU, you won't be draining your system battery as much... There may or may not be versions with custom menus that allow save states... They are also really cheap, the only issue is there are many clones out there, and some of them are 'time locked' as in they stop working after a certain date, and will have to be 'jailbroken' patched to remove the lock out with custom firmware.

If there is no save state features, DS Plus may be your only real option for those features, but they don't make it anymore, so good luck finding one... ANd it can be expensive.

THe link I gave should show you the feature comparisons between various flashcarts out there, and the compatibility for each DS firmware.

Another one I have called Stargate 3DS allows you to have 3DS roms on it as well, and basically has R4 style DS flashcart support, but it only fits in a 3DS. Its also a tad pricey. But I've had fun with it for my collection... Basically its Sky3DS style flash cart married to a R4 style DS flashcart in one.

Edit: yes some of the r4i Gold flashcarts do have real time save features...
 https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-use-r4i-gold-3ds-rts-real-time-save/
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 10:46 PM by Galron »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 12:19 AM »
Ok thank you very much for explaining. To be fair there were not many DSi games and even less that are actually worth playing. The emulators definitely interest me but are not the most important part.

With the patching does it patch them for you or do you need to download and add the patches for it?
There was one or two DSi games on cartridge, but there are quite a few downloadable ones that are worth playing. I would love to be able to play them. Now when you can hack a DSi I might be able to.

The patching is done automatically when you load the game by pressing A on it in the menu (you need the latest firmware for all supported games to work). The patch also includes the save state menu and stuff that I personally rather be without, but you have not much choice on the DSTWO. If you don't want to patch a game you press X (I think) to open a menu where you pick the "clean" option. This boots the game without patching it, no save state menu, no piracy protection crack or other stuff that needs to be patched. Most games will hang pretty soon after booting them cleanly though so normally you need to patch them. On the other hand a few games don't like being patched and requires to be run clean (which is why the clean option is there to begin with).

I just wish there was a DS flashcart that can boot clean roms without trouble or triggering piracy protection.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 02:27 AM »

Download play isn't really a problem for me. I mostly just want to use one for ROM hacks, emulators etc.

Many of the flashcarts out there do not allow for emulators, or emulators have to have be designed specifically for the flashcart.  Only reason it was a big feature point in Dstwo/Dstwo Plus was because it had its own on board CPU that made emulators work better. NES and GB emulators though probably work on all of the flashcarts as many of them function as regular DS apps. Don't expect any good GBA or SNES support.

The Stargate 3DS 'promised' emulators for SNES and GBA that would use the 3DS own CPU without hacking the flashcart, but they never actually released them... Call it false advertisement by this point?

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 05:01 AM »

There was one or two DSi games on cartridge, but there are quite a few downloadable ones that are worth playing. I would love to be able to play them. Now when you can hack a DSi I might be able to.

The patching is done automatically when you load the game by pressing A on it in the menu (you need the latest firmware for all supported games to work). The patch also includes the save state menu and stuff that I personally rather be without, but you have not much choice on the DSTWO. If you don't want to patch a game you press X (I think) to open a menu where you pick the "clean" option. This boots the game without patching it, no save state menu, no piracy protection crack or other stuff that needs to be patched. Most games will hang pretty soon after booting them cleanly though so normally you need to patch them. On the other hand a few games don't like being patched and requires to be run clean (which is why the clean option is there to begin with).

I just wish there was a DS flashcart that can boot clean roms without trouble or triggering piracy protection.

I wish there was a way to 'patch' the DSi Shop games, so they could run off a flashcart. Rather than have to hack the system... Besides the fact that system itself could only hold so many games in the internal memory... Putting them on flashcard and running them from a flashcard would save so much space.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 07:35 AM »
Come to think of it I think some of the Everdrives and possibly SD2SNES also 'patches' certain games to make them run, either by bypassing region restrictions or other things like fixing compatiblity with the saving features, or sometimes to add cheat code, or some kind of shortcut command to access back to the flashcart (or other ingame 'hooks')? Everdrive 64 might possibly do that for a few games?

Offline EmperorOfTigers

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 12:34 PM »
All very interesting.
Sounds like to me the best option if you want the emulators is SuperCard DSTWO or if you don't then that R4i Gold cart is best.

For 3DS I hear that CFW is the best way to go for 3DS games while the carts mentioned above do the DS games well.

Like personally right now I'm just after the best experience for playing NDS games and maybe some emulators. I might be interested in 3DS games at a later date but I prefer to wait until the console in question is fully updated and no longer worked on officially.

I currently have an Acekard 2i which I like quite a lot but it doesn't work on the latest DSi firmware or 3DS firmware.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 01:40 PM »
But as I said DStwo has long been out of production so good luck trying to find one. If you did it’s probably not going to be cheap. Also warned it’s a nasty battery drain. I only use it plugged in... the emulators have not been updated in ages and have very limited list of compatible games...

There are emulators for r4i gold (or equivalents) as well, lolsnes if you want to run SNES but I don’t know how well it works, and even custom emulators on DS two struggle (just not fast enough for every game, unless you skip frames) or hit and miss with game compatibility.  Another issue is DS screen just doesn’t have enough space to display tv resolutions properly so part of the screen is cut off or you are forced to run it in a lower resolution zoomed out which makes text hard to read...

Personally I prefer a hacked PSP for snes emulation for most emulation, psp 3000 has good emulator support.

Offline EmperorOfTigers

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 02:40 PM »
But as I said DStwo has long been out of production so good luck trying to find one. If you did it’s probably not going to be cheap. Also warned it’s a nasty battery drain. I only use it plugged in... the emulators have not been updated in ages and have very limited list of compatible games...

There are emulators for r4i gold (or equivalents) as well, lolsnes if you want to run SNES but I don’t know how well it works, and even custom emulators on DS two struggle (just not fast enough for every game, unless you skip frames) or hit and miss with game compatibility.  Another issue is DS screen just doesn’t have enough space to display tv resolutions properly so part of the screen is cut off or you are forced to run it in a lower resolution zoomed out which makes text hard to read...

Personally I prefer a hacked PSP for snes emulation for most emulation, psp 3000 has good emulator support.
That's a very good point.
I take it the R4i Gold one is probably the best pickup now then considering features, price and battery life?

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2019, 10:24 PM »
Ya as far as I know they are the most common out there. Because they don’t have a built in cpu the battery draw is comparable to a regular DS cartridge. Avoid any with timebombs (any that has a year listed in the title) and you should be good. Timebomb is an expiration date.

They range between $10 and $20.

https://www.nds-card.com/

Personally I’m thinking of getting one myself for most duties since my dstwo is such a battery drain.