Author Topic: EverDrive DS Possible Someday?  (Read 14428 times)

Offline Galron

• View Profile
Re: EverDrive DS Possible Someday?
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2019, 09:02 PM »
Not sure to trust this site... But if you are still looking for a Dstwo Plus to play around with (despite its battery drain issues)…

This site still claims to have new ones in stock.
https://www.r43ds.org/products/Supercard-DSTwo-Plus.html

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2019, 09:28 PM »
Thanks for the explanation and link. The reason I rather want to launch DSi game from their native environment is because that's what they are designed to do, and in case there is a problem from launching them from a flashcart. Having both options woudn't be bad though, but I really dislike unnecessary patching, cracking and meddling in software in general.

The problem is if you soft mod your system you risk even worse things... With moded/hacked roms you can turn system off, and turning it on usually resets teh system back to its standard settings as nothing is modified on the system itself.

But soft modding opens up possibilities of screwing the operating system up or permanently bricking it. So in that situation the whole 'loading' a game into DSI's memory (which is tied heavily into the security/operating system) might actually be worse 'hacking' than hacking the files themselves to run as regular roms. Besides those files generally still have to be 'decrypted' modified in the first place to get past that security. So they will be 'patched' in some form.... No way to get past that really...
Hacking and patching the system isn't excluded from the kind of meddling that I dislike. But if it's necessary it can't be helped. I just often feels like the problem isn't really solved when a game is made to work by a hack. There are of course things that have no other solution, like soundlink Satellaview games that can't really be played as they were meant to be played anymore. I like how the Wii softmods are not very intrusive since you just add new stuff and only modify unused IOSes (except for Bootmii which is a modification of boot2, and custom MIOS). Especially lately, Wii softmodding has become much easier and less intrusive since you don't have to downgrade a bunch of stuff anymore with newer CIOS. You just install the Homebrew channel and whatever CIOSes you want, and nothing is irreversible either.

It seems there are no "Bootmii" for DSi though.
What kind of DSi hack are recommended now? When googling the matter I got this https://dsi.cfw.guide/ which seems to require a DSi with Flip Note Studio. It looks like Unlaunch and HiyaCFW gives some brick protection though, although not quite as safe as boot2 Bootmii on Wii.
I'm planning to buy a Japanese DSi LL, so it looks like I need to get one with Flip Note Studio on it.

DSTWO Plus definitely has features to extend and link to 'real cards' or the tremor pak. But unless I have one of those specific daughter cards, there is no way to link to a flashcart. The Everdrive GBA certainly can't pass that data through to the flashcart, neither can the current EZ-Flash GBA cards.
OK I misunderstood how GBA Extend works on DSTWO. It looks like GBA Extend doesn't really remap the GBA cartridge port to a GBA rom file, it just gives access to the GBA area to the DS rom. So you still need a real GBA cart or a flashcart with the NOR memory. Maybe my M3 Lite has NOR.
But if it can't upload the save file to the required area, such things as Pokemon transferring will not work.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2019, 02:54 AM »
I don't know what to recommend for DSi hacking, because its still in primitive stages so far... as far as I know? You really have to follow instructions, and its complicated. Bootmii style alternative or being able to stick in a SD card hack method would be preferable. I'm also somewhat leary doing it to my own DSi because I have a lot of games I paid for, tied to it I don't really want to potentially lock myself out of using, if something goes wrong...

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2019, 03:01 AM »
Seems someone is unloading Ezflash V with the 3 in 1 daughter cards again. I just ordered one, been looking for one for several years. Was hoping to find full size daughter card so I could use it on my orignal Phat DS too, but this will have to do... (unless I can find an alternative case, some EZ Flashes came with both full size and half size cart you could switch).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-in-1-Expansion-Pack-for-EZ-Flash-V-Cartridge-GBA-DS-New-in-Box-/293096170060?oid=293088790745

Remember the batteries might be bad on these (by now), but you can always replace it, some  "do it yourself" required. Ezflash tends to solder its batteries in, so you need to break the clip and change the battery yourself. But it is a NOR flash daughter card, and is one of the few to work with 90% of the DSI/GBA linked games (short of Pokemon).

If I get it working I'll probably just use the EzFlash V + 3 in 1 as my primary flashcart for my DS Lite (with all the tremor pak games, and games that have game link abilities on it), and continue to use the DSTWO Plus on my DSI XL for majority of the others...

Of course I'll probably still put some games on the DSTWO Plus that have DSI/GBA linking (if I want to play on the larger screen), and use the special apps designed to allow it to use other brand's daughter cards, just to transfer items over(using the DS Lite), and then go back to using it on the DSI.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 03:10 AM by Galron »

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2019, 11:42 PM »
So I got the Ezflash combo card set in today. Started testing it out... First thing I discovered the 3 in 1 daughter card doesn't work as rumble card on its own (as far as I can tell), Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time could not even detect it. You need to use Pass-through method from a slot 1 flashcart itself.

Apparently EZ FLash V is only good with 2 gb or less micro SDs. I couldn't get it to work with a 4 gb I had on hand. No big deal, I switched over to my Dstwo Plus. DS Two plus seemed to work with pass through just fine.

In fact its a very strong motor almost as strong rumble as the full size DS rumble packs. Much stronger than a generic half-size rumble Pack I picked up...

Next test is seeing if I can use Dstwo to copy gba games over to the NOR...

Followed these instructions:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/beginners-guide-to-the-ez-flash-3in1.293643/

Uploaded Super Dodgeball as a test, just to try out the NOR save feature with ExpLoader, and bam, it works great! Now I'll find me a list of all the link games, and put those together into my flashcart so they'll be ready for me!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 03:44 AM by Galron »

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2019, 12:44 AM »
Not sure to trust this site... But if you are still looking for a Dstwo Plus to play around with (despite its battery drain issues)…

Don't ever trust these assholes, they scammed $73.90 out of my ass, because I fell for their legitimate looking website and stupidly tried to order a DSTWO plus cart.

I guess I'll just have to smack'em with a chargeback from my bank.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 12:50 AM by Missingno255 »
Owned Everdrives: Everdrive MD, Mega Everdrive, Everdrive N8, Everdrive GB X5, Turbo Everdrive, Super Everdrive, Everdrive GBA

Misc Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2019, 02:59 AM »

Don't ever trust these assholes, they scammed $73.90 out of my ass, because I fell for their legitimate looking website and stupidly tried to order a DSTWO plus cart.

I guess I'll just have to smack'em with a chargeback from my bank.

Wow that sucks!

Also apparently one of those places out of China that claims to be 'local' to the US. So deliveries if you get them, can take months.
https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/7l70t6/psa_dont_buy_anything_from_r43dsorg_they_are_a/

I am glad I got a DSTwo Plus when they were new (from recommended authorized dealer), and also glad that EZFlash 3 in 1 (that I finally found) works with it! Another thing that might be interesting about this combo is that 3 in 1 acts as a ram expansion pak, so you can use Opera Browser with it, or even better some improved Dos emulation, or even run Quake on it!

« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 03:02 AM by Galron »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2019, 12:45 PM »
Thanks for your advices. It looks like it's a bit early to dive into DSi hacking just yet.

Although that daughtercard has RAM, NOR and rumble it is a bit disappointing that it can't map save files for GBA-DS linking. But it seems to be the best that exists for now.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2019, 07:11 PM »
Ya, all the daughter card options out there have their problems. I don't know how many companies created NOR (FlashAdvance2 and Ezflash Trinity/3 in 1) or alternative methods (M3 Perfect, 'ram'?) to upload GBA games into a primary memory... But at least if you can find it adds the ability to use link play for 90% of the games that offer it.

Super Card had their own daughter card, but I haven't heard anything about its features compared to the others. Or if had NOR or not...

If Krikkz made a DSi/DS card, I'd love if he made it compatible with DSi code (for all the white games, and all the grey DSi bonus features games), if he figures a way to allow it to bypass 'region lock"  (so that any DSi game from any region could be played, not even 3DS flashcarts can do this unfortunately) that would be even better. Note: Any DS flashcart will allow "grey dsI' carts to work but it only loads up the classic DS compatiblity part of the game (no DSi) features (as the game would work if it was played on any DS Phat or DSLite).

I think he should also sell a 'daughter card' simply for purpose of accessing the DS Lite Options Pak features (some kind of premium 3 In 1 type card, with rumble, expansion ram, and NOR or equivalent), but also make sure to add compatiblity with ram types so Pokémon and few games that transfer 'data' over can use it. As an added bonus maybe toss in sun sensor for use with the four Boktai/Lunar Knights games and their link/connectivity as well. We can only dream, but also add some of the features from other Options Paks sold as 3rd party (Motion control?).

Plus maybe compatiblity with rumble games and motion games both in GBA and DS like; Tony Hawks Motion (DS), Drill Dozer (GBA), Yoshi's Topsy Turvy (GBA), Wario Ware Twisted (GBA Rumble + Motion), Koro Koro Puzzle Happy, etc. And also make 'rumble' work directly with official carts if you own them too (something most of these 3rd party daughter cards don't allow, official carts can't communicate with the daughter cards).

Wishful thinking, there isn't likely to be a  !00% compatiblity fix...

Alternatively, at least for the Pokémon linking it might be possible for someone to patch the ram type in the game itself (either on the DS game side or the GBA game side, or both?), or make some other way for card to see it? That could be useful... Someone hinted at a way to get Pokémon games linking to work I think, but it's definitely requires some hacking of the roms, I think? I need to check into that.

I did further research on the pokemon games and just as I expected the generation IV games is looking for the savegame information in the FLASH. Since none of my GBA Cards has flash storage, Pokemon Diamond refuses to see the pokemon savegame (out of the box). There is, however, a tool that allows you to patch the DS Pokemon games to look in the SRAM section of the GBA cart, which I got to work with my 3in1 and F2A as the patches are specific to the slot-2 flashcard used. I was not able to get it to work properly with the EZFlash IV even though the pokepatcher tool said it would be compatible, I got the option to show up but it would tell me the save data was corrupted.

Depending on how the EDGBA works with its savegame storage the DS games *might* be able to work ootb or *might* be patchable with pokepatcher.

You apparently have to use something called pokepatcher.

The only other games that might need to be patched, as they offer some kind of 'transfer' option is some of the Mega-Man battle network games I think.  And Pokémon Dash, not sure if that one is included in Pokepatcher.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 09:41 PM by Galron »

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2019, 10:09 PM »
BTW, here is an example of SUper Card's version of GBA flash cart + DS rumble support. I don't know if it had 'expansion ram' or not...

I don't know how compatible it was DS Linking or not, and although I almost want one to test out, I think 3 in 1 had better options/features. Again since I'm not sure if SuperCard is making these anymore, ording from these online sites is dubious at best...

It had the added bonus of being able to program cheap "rumble" into any game, including GBA games I think.. But this was limited to basically pushing a button = a certain kind of rumble, rather than actual game having real rumble for events. So it was effectively pointless and wouldn't work with drill dozer for example... You wouldn't get Drill Dozer's built in vibrations.

https://www.shop01media.com/en/SuperCard-flash-carts/SuperCard-Rumble-MiniSD-GBA-size-NDS-flash-kit

They also had DS Lite versions but those didn't have support for GBA games, just rumble for NDS games.

Eh.. I guess it would have been virtually worthless with GBA games....

No GBA Support (works only with very small 32K GBA games)

Their other MiniSD without RUmble did have GBA support, but I don't know if allowed for 'game linking' or not....
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 10:14 PM by Galron »

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2019, 10:26 PM »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2019, 02:10 AM »
Copied from my post in that other thread:

My friends got M3 Real and I remember I was jealous because Download Play worked fine on it but not on my M3 Perfect. I have no idea if NDS-GBA Linkage means it can link to rom images and save files though. Also the M3 team stopped long before DSTWO stopped so I think compatibility with games may be worse. I think they stopped releasing updates while new DS games was still being released.
The RAM cartridge is needed to play GBA games and for the Opera browser since both use a slot-2 cartridge that needs to be executed from. I don't think that means it necessarily has NOR though. Isn't the EZ daughter card doing the same thing except without GBA support? RAM and rumble are separate cartridges on the M3 Real though.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2019, 07:02 AM »
Download Play is the shared multiplayer feature right? Is there a list of flashcarts that allow it, and which don't work?

Also I think the M3 Real's 'rumble pak' is a real functional rumble pak, so it probably works with all official cartridges as well. It looks a lot like DS sized rumble pak I bought seperately (looks like the same sticker on it even). It doesn't work too well though I barely feel any rumble on it... Compared to the official full size rumble pak.… I've never been able to find the Japanese eWin rumble pack to try that one for comparison (though I really want one for my collection).

I'm pretty impressed by the rumble on the 3 in 1 even if it only functions with the flashcart. It's about as strong as the full sized GBA sized rumble pak.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 07:07 AM by Galron »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2019, 12:05 AM »
I wouldn't expect a quality rumble pak bundled with Chinese flashcarts like this. But it is good news if it works with the official NTR-008/USG-006 rumble pak. Is the included RAM expansion pak also compatible with the NTR-011/USG-007 as well?

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2019, 12:55 AM »
I wouldn't expect a quality rumble pak bundled with Chinese flashcarts like this. But it is good news if it works with the official NTR-008/USG-006 rumble pak. Is the included RAM expansion pak also compatible with the NTR-011/USG-007 as well?

Well to avoid any confusion on my part or yours, I'll try to explain what I've tested or understand bout this...

Using DSTWO+ menu, I can turn on options for each game individually either to a 'null' setting, a link setting, and rumble setting.

If I set it to rumble setting it will definitely can communicate with the official rumble pack, and any generic one designed to work with real cartridges. Link is there to allow a game loaded in the DSTWO Plus to communicate with a game in the slot two (for DS-GBA link options, presumably this is also how you would access the Ram expansion as well). Null has no function (and is default setting). You can't have both features running at the sam

Now, as for the generic rumble pak, I have (which maybe like the one with the M3 pak) it works as if it was an official rumble pak, same functionality and can run stand alone with official games. It works with the 'rumble' pass through option if using the flashcart as well. 3 In 1 functions as a rumble only if the rumble setting is activated in the DSTWO flashcart on the game being used.

EZflash 3 in 1 cannot function as a stand alone rumble pak... As there doesn't seem to be a way for real games to directly interface with its rumble feature (there maybe a hokey hackey way to get around this limitation, as I was reading, but its not simple thing to do).

Presumably using "link" one could use official ram expansion with roms of the programs that use it.  It is also how one 'links' to it using the DSTWO Plus. But it is also works as the way for other games like official pokemon games, or other GB/DS game links using official cartridges. If a game can offer NOR option or some other direct pass through to a specific GBA game, then link also allows for DS games to read GBA data to unlock stuff as well (except for the pokemon roms linking). Thus 3-in-1's NOR (or similar alternative flashcarts) acting like a stand alone cartridge, and being able to be discovered using the 'link' option in the DSTwo Flashcart.

I don't know if the generic ram expansion that comes with the M3 functions as a stand alone ram expansion itself.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 01:05 AM by Galron »