Author Topic: GBA X5 compatible text files  (Read 849 times)

Offline AcerM

• View Profile
GBA X5 compatible text files
« on: May 27, 2019, 06:34 PM »
This might be an odd question. But i was wondering if the X5 could read ordinary text (.txt) files and display their contents on screen.

I was hoping to include a list of "games to be played" on the SD card. Or possibly other info about them like release dates, most units sold or historically significant.

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
Re: GBA X5 compatible text files
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 01:11 AM »
Can't you just copy the said games you want to add extra info about and rename the entirety of that said file with the date and stuff inside it but keeping the maximum limit of how many lines of text it can contain?
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 02:05 AM »
Just create a 'games to be played' folder? Put your priority roms in it? If you have a lot of space to spare it souldn't take up much room.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 12:37 PM »
Some Everdrive's OS has a "hex view" option which allows displaying file content in hexadecimal and ASCII like a hex editor, but not all.

Offline EverStranger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 12:12 PM »
I know this is a bit of an old topic, but I've seen it a few times and wanted to respond. (Just those darn verification questions knock the wind out of my sails when I spend 20 minutes trying to post)

Without PogoShell compatibility or booting into another shell interface, I don't think you can read text on the fly.
But, if you want to take the work to convert your text beforehand, there are certainly options on the gba for reading text. To be more precise I know there is some kind of ebook/ereader homebrew available as I have fond memories of chilling in the mall circa 2003 reading The Hobbit on my gba thinking I was so cool and hip with my silly futuretech.

Looking around I believe the homebrew I'm thinking of is called GameBoy Book Reader. The site for it is super old and sloppy with a lot of dead links. If you're interested in downloading it though the GameBoy Book Reader download page is http://www.mqp.com/fun/gb_dnld.htm
Look for the are  that says:
"Downloads without Source
(Latest Version, For Users)"

Just searching for this I found another similar homebrew aswell entitled "GBA Notepad"
It's should be easy enough to find on google.

GBA Notepad

"Instead of a videogame, this is a useful NOTEBOOK for Gameboy Advance. You can type notes in 59-pages, choose 30 or 60-characters across, and can change the background picture for each page.

There are 3 MODES in GBA-Notepad. You can press two arrow keys at the same time so diagonal movements are possible. This will speedup message entry."

Perhaps one of these will fulfill your need?

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 06:54 PM »
But is the Everdrive even compatible with PogoShell or other standard ways to access the SD-card? Those homebrew might not work if that is the case.

Offline EverStranger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 11:02 PM »
But is the Everdrive even compatible with PogoShell or other standard ways to access the SD-card? Those homebrew might not work if that is the case.
Good point, I can't remember if it required pogoshell. I figured it was a standalone .gba game as (if I remember right) you have to embed the text file into the homebrew through a windows exe, and if I remember right I think it builds to a .gba.
I'd test it but I don't have any windows machines handy. I might push the exe through wine on my linux setup when I get the chance and see how it works/what it spits out, and if that can be used sans pogoshell.

Edit: Just glancing at the messy site I see this:

Hah, it might actually be for the original gameboy then. But I imagine that would (hopefully) run fine pushed through goomba.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 11:06 PM by EverStranger »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 12:11 AM »
OK, if it doesn't access the SD-card it should work on the EDGB.