Author Topic: A new, third party N64 console is on the way! But...  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
A new, third party N64 console is on the way! But...
« on: June 09, 2019, 04:47 PM »
A third party (i.e. not made by Nintendo) N64 console is being developed, and will be previewed at the E3 show. It almost certainly won't come with any games built in (unlike the official 'Classic' consoles such as the NES Classic and the SNES Classic), but the real problem is that the console seems to be emulator based, which is potentially very bad indeed.

Quote from the announcement web page:

"Now while I am super excited about this system being revealed and coming out, as I hope it will open the flood gates for other companies to follow, there are some things to be aware of.

First off N64 emulation is actually pretty substandard and inaccurate. What does this mean for the average user, well for anyone looking to play only the most popular titles on N64 like Mario and Zelda the experience will be fine and you might never notice a difference.

There are games that will flat-out not work in many N64 emulators like the Factor 5 games. and the ones that can run it require hardware that the Ultra Retron is likely not using. Seriously my 7700K overclocked to 5GHZ still can’t get Battle for Naboo up to decent frame rates…

Other games will likely exhibit graphical glitches which we can already see in Hyperkin’s own demo video during Mario Kart 64.
"

Since the new console is emulator based, then even if the emulation is perfect then it almost certainly won't work with the Everdrive 64, unfortunately. And we don't yet know how much internal storage the console will have, or if it will have a USB or SD card port (though it probably won't), so even if the emulation turns out to be good enough, then we might not be able copy game roms to the console and play them from there.

It will be doubly unfortunate if the console is bad because it will no doubt come with a HDMI out socket, and that alone (if the new console was otherwise identical to the genuine N64) would be reason to use the new console, since genuine N64 consoles look bad on many new TV sets. You can get your genuine N64 modded to support HDMI, but that costs near enough two hundred dollars, plus then you need to be very skillful with a soldering iron to install it. The new console is likely to be much cheaper than buying an N64 HDMI kit, so it will be very attractive to N64 fans, providing the new console plays the games properly.

We'll have to wait and see, I suppose:

Source and video:

http://gametyrant.com/news/hyperkin-has-teased-an-n64-clone-console-and-is-bringing-it-to-e3

Edit: Just to add, I don't like the fact that the preview video has no almost no console based sound in it, instead it just has a non-N64 soundtrack loudly playing all the way through. This might just be a bad choice by the person who made the video, but it also might have been done deliberately, to hide any sound related problems that the new console has. The emulator the console uses might lack the ability to accurately reproduce every sound the N64 can make, or the emulator might have timing problems with the sound. I've seen both of these problems in N64 emulators, and the music that they dubbed onto the video might be their sneaky way to hide the problems from us. I *really* hope that's not the case.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 04:57 PM by Kerr Avon »

Offline Galron

• View Profile
Re: A new, third party N64 console is on the way! But...
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 05:46 PM »
You mean the Hyperkin n64?

It's  'emulation'... and emulation for the N64 sucks currently...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08hDvX3rOvY

Offline y0da89

• View Profile
Re: A new, third party N64 console is on the way! But...
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 10:15 AM »
MVG also made a video about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fWQ6JCNrH4