Author Topic: Multiboy 32 (Micro SD Virtual Boy Flashcart)  (Read 3417 times)

Offline Galron

• View Profile
Multiboy 32 (Micro SD Virtual Boy Flashcart)
« on: May 12, 2019, 05:47 AM »
Looks like a new Virtual Boy flashcart on the horizon, one that can hold up to 32 games at a time apparently.

I think there is rougly 33 games (counting complete sets of Japanese (22 games) and American (14 games) releases), although maybe only 23 total unique games (including games released in both regions, and exclusives to each region), and a small handful of homebrew games (11 or so?), and 3-4 unreleased prototypes that have been dumped...  So there is way more than 32 games total I think at this point (so roughly 37-38 'unique' games total?). A number of the Japanese exclusives have also gotten English translation romhacks which pretty cool, and will make those games more accessible.

However, even if it can't hold all the games, it is certainly a handier method to play multiple games at once. The original option was either find repros or get the flashcart (Flashboy and Flashboy Plus+) that could only hold one game at a time... Hopefully its possible to back up the saves (to the Micro SD), something that the original flashcarts couldn't do.

http://www.mellottsvrpage.com/index.php/multiboy-32/

https://www.planetvb.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7292

https://www.retrorgb.com/multiboy-32-project-update.html

https://www.planetvb.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=459

« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 05:56 PM by Galron »

Offline Alvis

• View Profile
Re: Multiboy 32 (Micro SD Virtual Boy Flashcart)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 07:49 AM »
Yaassssssss take my money

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 03:09 PM »
Only thing I don't understand is the 'limit to 32 games'? Why that limitation? If its using micro SDs why can't it have as many roms as there is space on a the Micro SD? That would leave more room to fit complete set + protos and homebrew games....

Offline RetroRGB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 05:06 PM »
"1. Flash space: 32 slots of 32Mbit RAM via a 1Gbit Flash."
That's talking about RAM, not the maximum amount of games.  You should just be able to dump the whole romset on a microSD.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 05:51 PM »
I talked to the developer, this is how he explained it....

The 32 slots are for the individual games.  A multi cart needs space for each game to be able to switch between them.

And here....
https://www.planetvb.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=459
Kevin Mellott has announced MultiBoy 32, the first ever Virtual Boy multicart! It comes equipped with an SD card slot and can store up to 32 games of up to 32 Mbit each on its internal 1 Gbit flash chip. A battery-free MRAM chip adds standard-sized SRAM for each of the 32 game slots, and is connected through a full 16bit bus width instead of the production 8bit width.

So apparently you use the Micro SD to dump games into the memory, but you can only have 32 games in memory at any given time. Unless there is a way to switch out games on the fly within the menus themselves, and access SD folders to do that?

I mean its possible I guess that it could have other games on the SD card... but has unholy amount of 'multiple' game flash storage...

Ever Drives, and most flash carts can usually 'store' one game in memory at a time.... But can hold lots of games in the SD card (which can be flashed into the main memory when needed)... Maybe this one is designed to have 32 in that storage (rather than most companies having only '1'), but also additional games outside of the internal storage?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 06:01 PM by Galron »

Offline Alvis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 07:51 PM »
This sounds like an old-school GBA flash cart, where all the games are loaded onto a big 128MB flash chip. But instead of loading them via some awkward parallel port or USB link device, they're flashed to the card right from an SD card.

Unlike Everdrives, which load single games from the SD into volatile storage, this would load multiple games into NV storage.

At least that's what it sure sounds like.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 08:48 PM »
Ya, that was what I was thinking which is less technically impressive than being to have access too all games at all times, and just loading up the one you want when you want to play it.

Still its more useful than having room for only one game, and having to load a new game on anytime you want to play something different...

I only hope it backs up the saves to the SD card, since earlier VB flashcarts didn't have any way of accessing the saves and transfer them to other media... If the developer is including the features from his earlier developer flashcart, we should also be able to dump roms from our own games. Not that is particularly important feature though, and roms are easy enough to come by.

Offline Davestra

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 10:26 AM »
This is just amazing! News on the horizon is that there's a new one coming out soon.

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 07:50 PM »
Actually not really.  Kevin announced months ago that he wasn't making progress so he decided to build new flash (only) carts.  They make use of a microSD but you still need to load via PC and it's ONE game at a time.  Since this was no more advanced than the old offerings, I didn't buy it.

Hi,

As I've discussed in a few other threads on the forums, I'm working on a HyperFlash32 cart as a replacement for the FlashBoy+.

HyperFlash32 will contain a 32Mbit Flash (enough for the full HF ROM), 32k x 8 nvSRAM (no save battery required), and a new faster 32bit ARM microcontroller (MCU) running at 32MHz, on board SD card slot, and USB port for control using your PC. ROM files are placed on the SD card and programmed to the flash memory using the MCU, with automatic padding. A simple PC based interface will be used to control the programming steps much like my VB programmer. The on board MCU and SD card slot arrangement was chosen to make programming as fast as possible and provide a single integrated programmer and cart solution. The ARM MCU will also have a bootloader to allow future firmware upgrades as functionality is added. It will also have the features of my VB programmer like SRAM save functionality to save your game progress.

Schematics are done and I'm ready to go to layout so I'm taking preorders to help get it across the finish line. You can read more about it here, as well as place your preorder if you're so interested: http://www.mellottsvrpage.com/index.php/hyperflash32/

Thanks,
Kevin

PS: Kevin did post again last month that he will revisit the Multiboy (some new parts came in) during January....