Author Topic: Standalone Stadium GB Emulator Compatibility List  (Read 4062 times)

Offline y0da89

• View Profile
Standalone Stadium GB Emulator Compatibility List
« on: June 10, 2019, 10:49 AM »
Hello folks.

Last month, zoinkitty released a standalone GB/GBC emulator for the N64.
He isolated the Pokemon Stadium 2 emulator and that's why you need a Transfer Pak to play your games.
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4506/

So far, only one guy on assemblergames reported some games working. Unfortunately, the website will close very shortly.
https://assemblergames.com/threads/standalone-stadium-gb-emulator-n64-transfer-pak.70999/
That's why I am starting this thread here.

I tested it on my PAL N64 + Everdrive v2.5. I did not test the save feature, only a few minutes of gameplay.

These are my results :

Kirby's Dream Land : Working
Legend of the River King : Working
Legend of the River King 2 : Working
LoZ Zelda Link's Awakening DX : Working with minor graphical glitches
LoZ oracle of seasons : Working
LoZ Oracle of Ages : Working
Lucky Luke : Not Working. Stuck on a black screen when booting the game
Lucky Luke Desperado Train : Working with minor graphical glitches
Mario Golf : Working
Mario Tennis : Working
Pokémon Card GB2: Great Rocket-Dan Sanjō! (ENG translated on a repro cart) : Not working. Game is too big
Pokémon Gold : Working
Pokemon Pinball : Working
Pokemon Trading Card Game : Working
Pokemon Yellow : Working
Resident Evil Gaiden : Working
Shadowgate Classic : Not working. Graphics do not work. Blank image.

Shantae (Repro cart) : Not working. Game is too big
Wario Land 3 : Not working. The transfer pak is not setup properly.
Wario Land 2 : Working
Yu Gi Oh Dark Duel stories : Not Working. Game is too big

thebigman1106 list :

Super Mario Land 2 : Working
Jurassic Park : Working
Zelda Links awakening DX (Via Nintendo Power Flash Cart) : Working Minor GFX errors
Space Invaders : Working GFX errors in Super Gameboy Mode
Arcade Classic No. 4: Defender / Joust - Not Working
Everdrive GB : Not working
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 10:52 AM by y0da89 »

Offline Levine91

• View Profile
Re: Standalone Stadium GB Emulator Compatibility List
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 06:09 AM »
I'm surprised it took so long for someone to unlock that emulator! I hope we continue to see progress on this (if it's even possible. Maybe injecting a ROM)

Thank you so much for sharing.

Offline y0da89

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 11:43 PM »
You are welcome.

Come on people, we need to get more results  ;D

Offline The Renegadist

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 05:54 PM »
Hmm, this format looks familiar.

Offline Aroenai

• Sentient Hunk of Green Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 09:32 PM »

Yep, I'm pretty sure I've seen highlighting in green, orange, and red since the 90's.
---
Mostly working on Zelda OoT & MM GC patches
Also, breaking region protections
Everdrive 64 v2.01 modified with an UltraCIC II, 64drive HW2

Offline The Renegadist

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 10:42 PM »

Yep, I'm pretty sure I've seen highlighting in green, orange, and red since the 90's.
Glad you picked up what I was putting down.

Offline Shenhulahula

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 07:18 PM »
Here are my results on PAL N64 with HDMI mod + Everdrive v2.5:

All-Star Baseball 2000 (GB Color): Working
Blades of Steel : Working
Bust-A-Move 2: Arcade Edition : Working
Selection: Erabareshi Mono : Working
Super R.C. Pro-Am: Working
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 02:55 PM by Shenhulahula »

Offline Frank

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 09:14 PM »
The release page says saving isn't guaranteed. I'm curious if some games save data better than others or if it's flaky for all. Some RPGs use a password save anyway, like Sword of Hope I & II. On a side note, it's cool the emulator uses special SGB borders.

Offline sgakensymd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2020, 02:45 PM »
I came across this recently after searching for years if there was a way to utilise the N64 transfer pak to play all GB games via Pokemon Stadium rather than just Pokemone Blue/Red/Yellow.

Big thanks to zoinkitty for giving us this. As a way to help and contribute with the continued development of this N64 GB Emulator (assuming it's still an ongoing project), I decided to contribute my experience using it.

I extensively tested the GB Emulator on my RGB modded NTSC N64 + Everdrive v3 using a Japanese and PAL transfer pak. Both transfer paks worked fine so no hardware region issues were present.

The error messages are a little ambigious when using it. I wasn't sure whether the fault originated from the GB cartridge slot or the controller/transfer pak slot. Thankfully I was able to deduce what the solutions were after many trial/error attempts.

"Transfer Pak not set properly" Error Message (Green background with X-marked controller and N64 console. No Pokemon Geisha)
 Exclusively hardware (Transfer Pak and/or Controller) related. Infrequently happens. Just take out the Transfer Pak and put it in again. I found that sometimes jamming the Transfer Pak hard into the controller didn't work for me so I had to gentle push it until it clicks. Could be my controller though.

"The Transfer Pak is not Set Properly. Please turn the N64 Control Deck OFF and check all connections" Error Message (Red/Purple-ish background with Pokemon Geisha)

Two possible outcomes to getting this error message.

1.) If this error message appears automatically after you booted up the emulator: No Transfer Pak found in controller. Transfer Pak not recognised in controller.

2.) If this error message appears automatically after the initial "Loading Gameboy Title" screen: Emulator was unable to properly read the GB cart (similar to how an actual Gameboy would show a scrambled Nintendo logo on boot if it is unable to properly read the cartridge). Simply take out the GB cart, give it a clean and re-insert GB cart. No need to completely remove the Transfer Pak given that it is operating properly if you are able to get to the "Loading GB Game" screen and can see the title of the GB game on your screen. 

Note: Multicarts and Repro carts that failed to load also gave this error message so it is also presumed that if this particular error message appears after the repro/multicart has been identified on the "Loading GB Game" screen  on numerous attempts to boot it then obviously - in this context - the "Transfer Pak not set" error message means that game can't be booted up for whatever reason.

Aside from that, I found the emulator to be quite good. A glitchy/unstable version of the Super GameBoy. Uses the same SGB borders. Pretty cool to have on the N64.

These are my game results:

Baseball: Working
FIFA 98: Working
Gameboy Camera: Boots up and plays fine but camera doesn't work. Frozen on last capture frame when you enter "Shoot" mode. Saves image fine.
GTA 2: Working
Hudson's Adventure Island: Working
Killer Instinct: Working
Lion King: Working
NBA Live 96: Working
Pac Man: Working
Pokemon Pinball: Working - Took a while to load
Pokemon Trading Card Game: Working -  Took a while to load. Plays fine. Save capabilities untested
Soccer Mania: Working
Super Mario Land 2: Working - "Speed-up" button layout banner on bottom of screen is unavailable and replaced with a constant "Saving..." icon that's in a red background. Unsure why. Plays fine
Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land: Working - "Speed-up" button layout banner on bottom of screen is unavailable and replaced with a constant "Saving..." icon that's in a green background. Unsure why. Plays fine
Super Mario Land: Working
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turles II: Back From The Sewers: Working
Tetris: Working
The Jungle Book: Graphical glitching on first level of game. Constant flickering. Plays/controls are fine
Top Ranking Tennis: Not Playable - Game boots up but the "Speed-up" button layout banner on bottom of screen is unavailable and instead there's a constant "Loading..." icon that's in a green background preventing you from using any of the buttons. You can't press start so you can't go anywhere beyond the Title Screen

None of my multicarts worked.
None of my repro/bootleg carts worked.
None of my GBC games worked (Tested "Tomb Raider Starring Lara Croft" - It was able to recognise the cart and go through the load process but would hang on that screen and blur after a while)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 02:47 PM by sgakensymd »

Offline y0da89

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2020, 01:19 PM »
Thanks for your feedback sgakensymd

I got some new GB/GBC games

Towers Lors Baniff's Deicit : Working
Stranded kids : Working Speed-up" button layout banner on bottom of screen is unavailable and replaced with a constant "Saving..."
Nushi Tsuri Adventure - Kite no Bouken ENG (flashed to a repro cart) : Working a few seconds until a saving error appears from the emulator and freezes the game

Offline Lezrup

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2020, 01:18 PM »
Hi all,

games I've tested so far on my ED64Plus. I'm covering the games that were not listed so far or which came out with another result on my end.

Wario Land 2 Runs well but it does not save even when it says so. Saves without problems on my Gameboy Advance. Would be nice if somebody else would test the save function.
Lufia - The Legend Returns Runs well and does save. GBC game.
Harvest Moon 2 Runs well and does save.
Pokemon Trading Card Game Runs well but killed my save file so I guess saving does not work either.
Dragon Quest Monsters Runs well but killed my save file so I guess saving does not work either.

Is there still any develpoment on this rom?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 03:56 PM by Lezrup »