Author Topic: Super Metroid Hacks?  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Galron

• View Profile
Super Metroid Hacks?
« on: May 27, 2019, 09:49 PM »
Anyone have any recommended Super Metroid Hacks? I'm not necessarily looking for challenging ones, but would like to find some that might have new stories, new abilities, new background art, new music, and new bosses... Not simply a 'remix'...

Same goes for Zelda hacks?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 09:54 PM by Galron »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: Super Metroid Hacks?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 12:53 AM »

Offline Relikk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 12:58 AM »

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 01:48 AM »
Owned Everdrives: Everdrive MD, Mega Everdrive, Everdrive N8, Everdrive GB X5, Turbo Everdrive, Super Everdrive, Everdrive GBA

Misc Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 03:38 AM »
Ok, I added Hyper Metroid, Super Metroid Zero Mission hack (very interesting use of Zero's art asssets), another one called Super Metroid Hypererion (which attempts to have a new world story, new puzzle type (some kind of dual door mechanic) and changes enemy artwork/assets(but I don't know if its a 'complete' game however). But most on those pages seem to be simply map remixes, nothing particularly new... There is also another I might try that puts Metroid into Castlevania style setting using assetts from Castlevania games, that might be interesting....

Still those sites aren't very easy to navigate, and doesn't give me much individual thoughts or opinions, on what makes certain ones 'interesting'.

I still haven't found anything as interesting as NES fan mod game "Rogue Dawn", that completely overhauls everything though, at least not from initial trials (other than mavbe that aforementioned Hypererion)..

Hyper Metroid claims to be a 'third quest" set on Zebes, but Zebes gets so overused LOL.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 03:40 AM by Galron »

Offline Alvis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 12:07 AM »
new stories, new abilities, new background art, new music, and new bosses

Yeah, it's called "Castlevania."  ;D

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 01:06 AM »
LOL< I think they called it Metroid: Holloween,

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 04:16 PM »
I was wrong, the patch I was thinking of is actually for Metroid Zero Mission, and it actually utilizes graphics from all kinds of sources apparently including Castlevania, Super Mario World (ghost houses), Super Ghouls & Ghosts, and Demon's Crest, and others. Most of the enemies edited to have a spooky theme...

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3900/

As for  Super Metroid patches, I've been trying out one called Super Metroid: Ascent that's pretty interesting, some enemy changes, some neat tricks with how the map changes as you find items (and use of new artwork, and musical tweaks). Like one room lava fills in after you get the morph ball, in another it becomes dark and ashy after you discover the map terminal in another room. The main theme though is most of the map has you climbing from the bottom to the top of the world, rather than working your way down. And save games are far apart (like the first save point is almost half hour to an hour into the game if you don't know where you going, and I surely don't LOL), but there are plenty of enemy spawn points to farm health from. Also some neat tricks with some of the enemies, like having to stand on the back of a caterpillar bug to cross over lava.

Offline Eyedunno

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 08:59 PM »
As for  Super Metroid patches, I've been trying out one called Super Metroid: Ascent that's pretty interesting, some enemy changes, some neat tricks with how the map changes as you find items (and use of new artwork, and musical tweaks). Like one room lava fills in after you get the morph ball, in another it becomes dark and ashy after you discover the map terminal in another room. The main theme though is most of the map has you climbing from the bottom to the top of the world, rather than working your way down. And save games are far apart (like the first save point is almost half hour to an hour into the game if you don't know where you going, and I surely don't LOL), but there are plenty of enemy spawn points to farm health from. Also some neat tricks with some of the enemies, like having to stand on the back of a caterpillar bug to cross over lava.
A lot of that sort of reminds me of Rotation, which is probably my favorite hack of the few I've played, other than Dessyreqt's randomizer, which I've played (speedrunner difficulty) hundreds of hours of, but I do not know if you'd call a randomizer a hack, as every seed is sort of its own hack.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 02:50 AM »
 Is rotation the one where Super Metroid map is on it's side?

Not a huge fan of over use of need of triangle jump, for some reason don't know if its the condition of my controllers, or timing issues with hacks, but for some reason I'm not all that good with trinanel jumps. It seemed much easier on the original Super Metorid as I remember it... Might just be I've lost skill over time, and not able to pull it off as well as I used to do :(. Seems some of the hacks also break bomb jumping too.

Another one that looks great and promising is Super Metorid: Phazon where you play as Dark Samus, but as far as I know only verison .3 is available opnely, and while .4 is discussed in a few places I haven't found a copy, and there doesn't seem to have been an update for several years.. .3 is still fairly buggy, and utilizes alot of required triangle jumping to get past certain obstacles.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 02:51 AM by Galron »

Offline Eyedunno

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2019, 07:54 PM »
Is rotation the one where Super Metroid map is on it is side?
Yes. And yes, you have to be good at wall jumping, and there might even be a spot or two where you have to be capable of Alcatraz Escape (balling up right after a wall jump), but I forget. There are also some annoying things with water (like just before getting Gravity Suit) and lava/acid (some of the rooms in upper Norfair and even in Tourian) and one wicked-hard missile expansion (Main Street missiles) if you are going for 100%. Otherwise, a pretty straightforward hack. ;)

Offline Entroper

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 09:39 AM »
Super Zero Mission is probably the best, but my other favorite is Z-Factor.