Author Topic: Everdrive x-3 freezing on gbc  (Read 192 times)

Offline dokipugga

• View Profile
Everdrive x-3 freezing on gbc
« on: June 13, 2019, 11:04 PM »
Hey everybody, I bought an everdrive a week ago and have been playing survival kids on it. It would freeze ocassionaly and i thought it was because my cartridge slot was dirty. The freezing became more frequent, instead of taking an hour or so it could take only minutes. I went into the diagnostics menu, and everything is ok except for "CPY test...ERROR:02". My gba doesnt get this error, but im wondering if its because my gbc speaker is broken? Any help would be appreciated!  ;D

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: Everdrive x-3 freezing on gbc
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 11:32 PM »
Does the freezing happen on your GBA as well?
Since the CPY test fails, I think your GBC may have more problems than just the speaker. Try cleaning the cartridge slot, and if it doesn't help, try replacing all electrolytic capacitors.
I've played lots of Survival Kids with no freezing on my EDGB. My Everdrive predates the X-series though.

Offline dokipugga

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 12:16 AM »
As far as i know, my gba doesn't freeze at all while playing it. I've cleaned my cartridge slot with a credit card covered with a microfiber cloth and alcohol. I don't know if i can tackle soldering on new capacitors, but i can try, lol ;D. I recently just went through an injury and had surgery on my left hand. Out of curiosity though, do you think that no sound on my gbc could actually be the capacitors and not the speaker itself?

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 05:52 PM »
I don't know but I think it's possible, so it's a suggestion on what you can try. If you are not confident in soldering, you may want to practice a bit on something else or consider getting someone to repair it for you. No need to make it worse, especially since you don't know what the cause is.

Offline dokipugga

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 11:52 PM »
Thanks for the advice, I've ordered the electrolytic capacitors and a speaker. If you don't mind me asking, what does a CPY error mean? I've tried searching around and nothing comes up.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 02:16 AM »
There is no CPY instruction on the Z80-derrived CPU so I can only assume it means copy. I'm guessing it's a CPU error, but the cause may be related to something else.

Just remember the GBC is mostly SMD so soldering the caps may not be so easy. Get some SMD soldering and de-soldering practice at least.

Offline dokipugga

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 04:10 AM »
I've been watching some videos about smd soldering. I can practice desoldering and soldering capacitors on my dead ps3 motherboard. Thank you again, for helping. I'll make sure to let you know how it goes when it arrives, and i i still get the same error.

Offline dokipugga

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 07:39 AM »
Update : Found old speaker lying around. My gbc now has sound. Apart from the fact it gets the error, nobody would know its broken  ;D

Offline FeverDrive

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 09:29 PM »
Update : Found old speaker lying around. My gbc now has sound. Apart from the fact it gets the error, nobody would know its broken  ;D
Are you sure your GBC doesn't have water damage?
And so I go fast.

Offline dokipugga

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 11:20 PM »
It doesnt look like it has water damage. But i can see one of the pins on the cartridge slot is a little bit more "pushed in" than the rest of them. I'll post a pic in my next post.

Offline dokipugga

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 11:25 PM »
Is this normal?

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Today at 01:39 AM »
I don't see any pins pushed in on that pic.

Offline dokipugga

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Today at 02:59 AM »
My mistake, I thought the 32nd pin was pushed in.

I took my multimeter and tested the capacitors. One of them gave no readout, another seemed to only give a readout sometimes and the other worked from what i can tell.