Author Topic: New Mega Everdrive X7 revision!!  (Read 14603 times)

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
Re: New Mega Everdrive X7 revision!!
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2019, 04:19 PM »
Not every Krikkz product has been great too, thus need for 'revisions'. I don't hold that against him if the next product improves on it...

Ikari's SD2SNES also had sound issues under certain revisions. Some of it could be patched with updates, others needed soldering something onto the cart. But later revisions fixed issues with earlier models, or added new features.

The SD2Snes has never had "sound" issues. If you are referring to MSU1, that was something Ikari added after the fact with Byuu's input as it seemed like a cool feature to add at the time, and as it turns out the special chip emulation needed extra hardware for correct volume levels on PCM audio, which is something the snes was never originally designed to work with.
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO - MODE - MISTer

Offline Relikk

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2019, 07:18 PM »
The SD2Snes has never had "sound" issues.

Rev. G did.

Rev. G boosted the MSU1 volume, but in doing so it amplified background noise that couldn't be eliminated without modification. Rev. H added an op-amp and fixed it.

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2019, 09:32 PM »
The SD2Snes has never had "sound" issues.

Rev. G did.

Rev. G boosted the MSU1 volume, but in doing so it amplified background noise that couldn't be eliminated without modification. Rev. H added an op-amp and fixed it.

My point is that anything MSU1 is something that neither the SD2Snes nor the Snes were originally designed for, so you cannot compare those issues with the shitfest that terraonion did with the SSDS3, nor the poor way they handled the issue (aka "quality can't be measured")
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO - MODE - MISTer

Offline Nigoli

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2019, 07:39 PM »
Not sure if mega-sd supports eeprom saves, is it?
When I asked about EEPROM support on Twitter when it was announced, I didn't get a reply at all.

I also think that MEDX7 does save/load state faster than the initial Mega SD does.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 07:41 PM by Nigoli »

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2019, 11:41 PM »
When I asked about EEPROM support on Twitter when it was announced, I didn't get a reply at all.

I also think that MEDX7 does save/load state faster than the initial Mega SD does.

https://downloads.terraonion.com/public/MegaSD_user_manual.pdf
Battery Backup CartridgesMegaSD does not require nor use a battery in order to store saves for the games containing a battery backup cartridge. Instead it saves those directly on the microSD card

Offline Nigoli

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2019, 12:58 AM »

https://downloads.terraonion.com/public/MegaSD_user_manual.pdf
Battery Backup CartridgesMegaSD does not require nor use a battery in order to store saves for the games containing a battery backup cartridge. Instead it saves those directly on the microSD card
It doesn’t say anything about serial EEPROM save support, does it?

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2019, 01:29 AM »
No, but it does seem to confirm it doesn't have a battery to do the saving. Also photos of the board doesn't show a battery either. There is a photo in one of the videos I posted earlier (if anyone can make out what the chips are).

Offline Nigoli

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2019, 05:53 AM »
The battery has nothing to do with what I’m talking about. People saying that “it’s a Mega EverDrive X7 and more” is unacceptable to me. It remains to be seen.

Save states are already slower, and EEPROM saving was a key feature of the X7. It’s one of the reasons why I purchased an X7. So 3 of my favorite games will refuse to save unless I use patches? For the price given there’s no excuse for this.

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2019, 06:24 AM »

A T.O. team member on Sega-16 confirmed "Yes, EEPROM carts are supported without patches. We have just one issue with Megaman Willy Wars not properly reading the save, but I hope it will be fixed today."

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?34349-Mega-CD-Sega-CD-FPGA-Optical-Disc-Emulator&p=844676&viewfull=1#post844676

Offline nastc1

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2019, 03:14 PM »
The battery has nothing to do with what I’m talking about. People saying that “it’s a Mega EverDrive X7 and more” is unacceptable to me. It remains to be seen.

Save states are already slower, and EEPROM saving was a key feature of the X7. It’s one of the reasons why I purchased an X7. So 3 of my favorite games will refuse to save unless I use patches? For the price given there’s no excuse for this.

You're assuming a lot aren't you?

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2019, 07:21 PM »
Ya, I'm trying to figure out where the 'save states are slower' thing comes from. What review? Very few people have review copies, and no one has complained as far as I know about speed of save states.

We still need to more information on how it saves, if it doesn't actually use battery Krikkz. THere is nothing in the manual indicating you have to 'reset' to menu, which seems to suggest some kind of Real-Time Saves, but not with a battery (since the manual confirms it doesn't need a battery).

Offline Nigoli

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2019, 02:22 AM »
EEPROM still isn't perfect. Have they tested and tried every game? That's one game that most people want from the EEPROM feature and it doesn't work. I'm not a TO apologist. What's right is right. SSD3 had problems. This could have a bunch.

RetroRGB's video shows state saving. I own an MEDX7 and it does it much quicker. You'd figure that the cart with all it's RAM power would make this feature quicker. lol

The majority of people make bold claims because it has CD support. What will happen when normal MD games have problems?

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2019, 03:46 AM »
Well find out once it is released.

What's the matter with you people? Even Krikzz stated that competition will spur him to make an even better product, it's all good.

And what's the rush anyway? if you NEED it right away buy it, if you do not NEED it wait a little for it to go into consumer hands and take it from there ... it's that easy.

The market is big enough, if not then only one offering will survive and it'll make us deciding even easier!

Time will tell, patience is a virtue, a lot of people have pre-ordered it so it won't be long after they start shipping (mid Aug I think) for the reviews to come in ... if you are in doubt wait for those at least.
If you can wait for Krikzz then up to you ... I have a real MegaCD for now and some (not too many) "backups" and I am perfectly fine for the time being.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2019, 06:18 AM »
Krikkz's save stating is a buggy mess, as per most reviews of the X7... It hit and miss which games it even works on (some save state menu is not accessible, some games crash when trying to use it, others have music desyncs, and other glitchy problems). To the point many people don't consider it a 'must have' feature on the product.

If TerraOnion compatiblity for save stating is higher (or has an improved method) than it would be an improvement (despite being 'slower')... If it doesn't improve and just as buggy as Krikkz save state feature, then its not really a 'must have' feature.

Unless someone finds a way to bypass the buffer, the likelyhood of improving save states is unlikely. Ikari has promised a possible alternate way to add improved save states for SD2SNES Pro in the future... But SNES is a different beast, and works differently than Sega Genesis... I don't know if there would be any 'alternative methods' to improve save states for Sega even with more 'ram/memory' and larger FPGA to work with...

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2019/03/mega-everdrive-x7-almost-everything.html

The In-Game Menu allows for save states.  When you load a game, you should be able to bring up the In-Game Menu by holding Down and Start.  This will bring you to a menu that allows you to load a save state, save the state or return to the main menu (quitting the game in progress) without having to reach for the reset button on the console.  Save states are very useful with games which do not have a battery save or have long passwords.  You can also preview save states or start the game at the save state by loading the .gen file, which is very convenient.

The In-Game Menu may not work for all games, support for any particular game is not guaranteed.  The save state may crash when loaded.  Finally, the music driver for most games is usually run by the Z80 Co-Processor in the Genesis/Mega Drive and the save states only save the state of the main 68000 CPU. It has no access to the Z80's bus.  This can result in the music being out of sync or not being played back properly or at all until the music engine writes to the particular audio chip registers.  Software emulators have access to the whole system and they can avoid the sync issue.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2019, 06:21 AM »
Well find out once it is released.

Well even Krikkz was asking those questions, he'd like to know too... It doesn't hurt to ask questions, especially if pepole want to make sure its worth 'pre-ordering' and putting down that much money for it....

Besides, TerraOnions products are 'limited production/release' so if people miss the preorder, it might be ages before a new batch is made, if ever. He doesn't mass produce like Krikkz, and he makes orders based on the number of preorders/interest... So people really do need to know before they decide its worth it, or miss out.