Author Topic: List of Gameboy Color enhanced built-in palletes.  (Read 4234 times)

Offline Galron

• View Profile
List of Gameboy Color enhanced built-in palletes.
« on: January 09, 2018, 07:49 PM »
http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?19247-Disassembling-the-GBC-Boot-ROM&p=128734

So there is apparently a total of 93 games that have built-in palettes for old B&W first generation gameboy games. Although the full list below would put it closer to '95' (93 if the Camera is not counted).

No place has made a complete list of these games, but here is what I've discovered and can confirm at least from experience... Please feel free to add to this or link to any other articles that show a list/confirm this list.

Some of these were easier to confirm on EDGB X7 since you can see what colors default to on the 'reset/save/load state' menu.

Note I'm not sure about Pokémon  Yellow at all... It has limited colors, but seems to show up as a grey menu item (in the 'reset/save/load state' menu), which would seem to match other "Gameboy Color Games".

The Japanese version on the other hand definitely appears to be a enhanced first generation game, as it shows up as a yellow menu in the 'reset/save/load state' menu.

-----Pocket Camera/GB Camera-----
Gameboy Camera Gold Edition
Pocket Camera (Japan)

-----World-----
Alleyway
Balloon Kid
Baseball
Donkey Kong GB
Dr. Mario
F-1 Race
Golf (SGB Pallette)
Metroid II
Qix
Solar Striker
Super Mario Land
Tennis
Tetris
Waro Land - Super Mario Land 3

----USA----
Battle Arena Toushinden
Game & Watch Gallery
King of Fighters
Pac-In-Time
Play Action Football
Tetris 2
Tetris Attack
Top Rank Tennis

----USA/Europe----
Arcade Classic No. 1 Asteroids & Missile Command
Arcade Classic No. 3 Galaga & Galaxian
Arcade Classic No. 4 Defender & Joust
Donkey Kong Land
Donkey Kong Land II
Donkey Kong Land III
James Bond 007
Kid Icarus
Killer Instinct
Kirby's Block Ball
Kirby's Dream Land
Kirby's Dream Land II
Kirby's Pinball
Kirby's Star Stacker
Link's Awakening
Mario's Picross
Mole Mania
Nintendo World Cup (SGB pallette)
Pokemon Blue
Pokemon Red
Radar Mission
Space Invaders
Star Wars
Street Fighter II
Super Mario Land II
Super R.C. Pro Am
Tetris Blast
Vegas Stakes
Wario Land II
Wave Race
Yoshi (USA) (SGB Pallette)
Yoshi's Cookie

-----Japan-----
Game Boy Wars
Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru
Picross II
Pocket Monsters Blue Edition
Pocket Monsters Red Edition
Pocket Monsters Green Edition
Pocket Monsters Yellow Pikachu Edition
Tetris Flash
X
Yakuman
Yoshi no Panepon

----European----
Adventurs of Lolo
Battletoads in Ragnarok's World (doesn't work with US version)
The Chessmaster
David Crane's A Boy and His Blob (doesn't work with US edition)
Dynablaster
Game Boy Gallery
King of the Zoo
Magnetic Soccer
Mega Man Dr Wiley's Revenge (does not work with US edition)
Mega Man II (does not work with US edition)
Mega Man III (does not work with US edition)
Mystic Quest (does not work with US edition)
Nigel Mansell's World Championship Racing
Othello
Pinocchio
Pocket Bomberman
Soccer

----These appear to be assigned default colors as claimed on some sites------
Arcade Classic No. 2 Centipede & Millipede (USA, Europe)
Ken Griffey Jr. presents Major League Baseball (USA, Europe)
Tetris Plus (USA, Europe)
Wario Blast Featuring Bomberman! (USA, Europe)

----Listed on some SGB lists but unknown on GBC----
Ms. Pacman (USA) (SGB Pallette?)
Pac-man (USA) (SGB Pallette?)

« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 01:45 AM by Galron »

Offline Galron

• View Profile
Re: List of Gameboy Color enhanced built-in palletes.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 11:28 PM »
Further testing and comparing default for Yoshi, with the various alternate color modes. Default appears to be light green, salmon, red, blue, black and white (it is the same as Right + A when choosing the colors).

Yoshi definitely is different than the default colors. It also seems to be the same as same color mode when you push right on the start screen before loading the game. This appears to replace the blue for a black, and there is an extra dark red color.

Default (also Right + A) mode has blue, whereas 'right' has a kind of reddish orange color.

Golf seems to be similar to default, but replaces the 'blue' with another shade of green. So two or three shades of green, black, white, and default salmon red color. So definitely seems to be an enhanced game. (confirmed to be different than Right + A default)

Game & Watch Gallery (USA) has a 'brown' color instead of the 'blue' from the default, so definitely seems to be using a unique color combination.

Nintendo World Cup (USA, Europe) (SGB pallette) similar combination as Golf (World), two or three shades of green (one replacing the blue from the default color), salmon, black and white.

Yoshi no Panepon (Japan) similar to Yoshi mode Yoshi uses. However, there is use of blue for one of the shades but its not the default. Forcing the default color Right + A will cause yoshi's tongue to be blue. Whereas this game's enhanced default has a red/pink tongue.

Play Action Football (USA) uses a enhanced color with the light and dark green as shows up on the title screen and menus. Forcing it into 'default" (Right + A) replaces dark green with 'blue'.

Vegas Stakes uses a color similar to default (Right + A), however it also seems to have a dark green rather than blue. Blue replaces salmon. But there is another Salmon color as well on certain items. A good way to see the difference is the tie screen menu, where salmon appears on blue (when forcing Right + A) or dark green (using built enhanced color combination), when starting the game, the car with the mountains behind it. The car will be blue in enhanced color version, or salmon with "Right + A (default colors)" The mountains themselves are dark greek and light green (built-in enhanced) or blue and light breen (Right + A).

Mystic Quest (Europe) uses a color combination similar to Vegas Stakes apparently. Two shades of green, dark and light, blue, salmon, and black and white. Main difference is that enemies and some other characters are 'blue' main character is salmon. Background is two shades of green and white/black. In default (Right + A) backgorund is light green, blue, white and black, while enemies and main character are salmon. This special enhanced color choice only works on the European cartridge, but not the Final Fantasy Adventure (USA).

Magnetic Soccer seems to have a combination to Vegas Stakes and Mystic Quest, two shades of green, blue used for opponents, and salmon used for player character, and black and white. If forced to default color (Right + A), it has blue for one of the two greens, and players and opponents are both salmon.

Othello (Europe) similar to Vegas Stakes, etc. Two shades of green, for menus/title screen, etc. If forced to "default" (Right + A), dark green is replaced with blue.

James Bond is very similar color to default, the only telltale difference is some characters "obj1" status appear green/blue as opposed to salmon/red (default).

Pocket Monsters/Pokemon Green uses the same pallete as James Bond 007, so 'obj1' is green/blue, this is hardly noticeable except that the start that crosses the screen in the intro is green or salmon depending if the game is playhed 'enhanced' or wiht 'default (Right + A)' palette.

Pac-In-Time uses a seperate unique pallette similar to James Bond and Pokemon Green, however, the obj1 is two shades of blue. If set to Right + A (standard default colors) obj1 will appear salmon/red. THe first place to notice this would be in the first level some kind of rotating planet-like object.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 02:54 PM by Galron »

Offline Jegriva

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 07:36 PM »
There is a comprehensive list on the SGB and GBC page on The Cutting Room Floor wiki.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 10:05 PM »
I believe the above list corresponds to TCRF list... minus the doubles on Europe, or Japanese versions. Except where Japanese or Europe version is different than the USA/World versions in some major way.

https://tcrf.net/Notes:Game_Boy_Color_Bootstrap_ROM

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 01:14 PM »
Pokémon Yellow operates as a type 2 cart. You can't change colors during a real cart boot using buttons/dpad.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 02:52 PM »
Except for the Japanese version, which is definitely just a regular original gameboy cart, and the colors can be changed.

Offline migles

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 10:26 PM »
thank you for the list, really appreciate it.
what about borders?

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 01:44 AM »
Migles there is a good list about SGB enhanced including the black cartridge hybrid "generation 2' games with SGB support on Wikipedia, although it may not be fully complete. I have already made my SGB folder for my X7, so I can try to put it together my own list later (divided by 'regions'), but it would take much more time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_Game_Boy_games

I may also add the early GB  'SGB enhanced' games (I.E. games made before SGB but had a built in color palette built into the Super Game Boy). It includes many of 'above' but minus the SGB era games (ones with borders), and the generation 2 GBC/GB hybrid games (largely black cartridge games).

Although there are some early GBA with SGB built in palettes, I have not 'confirmed' per se, but its claimed they have built in on some sites/YouTube, such as Pac-Man and MS. Pacman.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 02:30 AM »
SGB enhanced early games:
Mostly confirmed these by watching videos, looking at the Super Gameboy Nintendo Power Strategy Guide, and through emulators.

====World====
Alleyway
Balloon Kid
Baseball
Dr. Mario
F-1 Race
Golf
Metroid
Qix
Solar Striker
Super Mario Land
Tennis
Tetris
Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3

====USA====
Yoshi

====USA/Europe====
Kid Icarus
Kirby's Dream Land
Kirby's Pinball Land
Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Nintendo World Cup
Super Mario Land 2
Yoshi's Cookie

====Japan====
Game Boy Wars
Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru
X
Yakuman

====Unconfirmed (maybe assigning the default colors lots of browns and oranges, some sources do claim these have built in palette colors)====
Ms. Pacman
Pac-man
Play Action Football
Radar Mission
Tetris 2
Top Rank Tennis
Wave Race

I haven't fully tested any of the Europe ones, but stuff like Battletoad's in Ragnarok World or Mystic Quest which have a peculiar default setting in GBC, do not appear to have any specific defaults in Super Game Boy at least, they only default to the standard default colors.  So something like Mystic Quest shares the exact same 'default' as Final Fantasy Adventure, yet FFA was never assigned any specific default colors on GBC, while Mystic Quest was.

Keep in many many of the ones not listed here, but listed in the GBC list may actually be true SGB games, with borders, and other enhanced features sound, full color elements, etc. Such as Donkey Kong, Ken Griffey Baseball, Wario Blast, Mario's Picross, Adventures in Lolo (Europe), etc.

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 06:01 AM »
Except for the Japanese version, which is definitely just a regular original gameboy cart, and the colors can be changed.

The Japanese version have a different name (Pocket Monsters) and is already listed. Still thanks to making it more clear.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 09:50 PM »
Ya, I never listed Pokemon Yellow, because it's definitely using GBC mode on the cart itself.

Both are however a Super Gameboy enhanced games with borders and stuff.

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2019, 02:50 AM »
Ya, I never listed Pokemon Yellow, because it's definitely using GBC mode on the cart itself.

Both are however a Super Gameboy enhanced games with borders and stuff.

Too bad that game had a really awful pre-set pallet choice using hazy pallets for every single map you go on... thankfully a rom hack corrected this issue using the pallet interchange from R/B/S/G into Pokémon yellow the only downside was the sprites have been updated to be based off Gen 2 but apart from that it's a much nicer chosen pre-set pallet switching game over the official one.

Also this may be a year old but to note a few selected SGB enhanced games lost their SGB enhanced pallet color when used on an everdrive as the pallets cannot be recognized on a real hardware snes, thankfully I made a near accurate one based off the actual cartages I own of them as in game the password is just ----,----,----

Their are 3 games in total of the entire set which will load up a enhanced color set and these games unless owned on a real Gameboy cartage will just display the red and white color pallet by default when booted up on an Everdrive… the following passwords will near enough restore what they should have been...

Get Chuu Club - Minna no Konchuu Daizukan (Japan) (SGB Password 5311-9613-5723)

Hole In One Golf (USA) (Rumble Version) (SGB Password 0771-3515-6243)

Hot Wheels - Stunt Track Driver (USA, Europe) (SGB Password 7342-1534-9243)

Also speaking of built in pallets did you know they can be swapped between non enhanced games which do not say (SGB Enhanced) at the end of them. As the real hardware SNES can only remember what game is using them until turned off this can allow other games to use what ever it loads up... this also includes boarders.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 02:53 AM by Richardragon87 »
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!