Author Topic: GBA X5 battery run dry will wipe the save of your last game  (Read 1363 times)

Offline gamecollectorshop

• View Profile
I recently experienced this phenomenon. Once this error kicks on, you can kiss your save goodbye. According to what I observed, this is what happens when the battery is dry.

You have the save of your current game on the SRAM. Once the battery is dead, the SRAM will be wiped. Supposed the last game I played is Super Mario World.

• Played Super Mario World (no error yet)
  • Saved the game, then turned off the GBA
  • Turn the GBA ON and surprised! got the battery dry error
  • Play Super Mario World and save is gone

If you ever play another game, the GBA X5 will copy the contents of the SRAM to the SD CARD and... as you have guessed, since that SRAM is empty now, the copied save file will also be empty. I have confirmed this the hard way where several game files I have were all wiped!

Imagine this scenario:

Last Game: Super Mario World -> New Game: Advance Wars 2 -> Everdrive will load the Advance Wars 2 save file, it still works -> Once I turned off the GBA, the SRAM will be cleared -> I played a different game and this time, the cleared SRAM will overwrite the Advance Wars 2 save on the SD Card wiping out my progress.

This is a serious issue. I hope Krikzz will issue a firmware update to correct this. The obvious solution is to not copy the SRAM to the SD Card if the battery is dry. Another is to emulate the SRAM to the SD Card (slower method I guess).

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
Re: GBA X5 battery run dry will wipe the save of your last game
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 05:50 PM »
It seems that the OS uses the sd card info to know when to backup contents from sram to sdcard. Next time this happens it is advised to backup your save folder or the save file of the target game before loading another game.

It's not easy to notice before it's too late unfortunately.

While there is not a fix, the best solution is replace the battery.

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 08:33 PM »
It sure is weird how GBA X5 batteries run dry... I must have had my thing since 2017 and the device has yet to do that?
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline JCR1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 08:56 PM »
If you receive the message of battery dry, and turn off the console immediately,  backup your saves on pc, this avoid the lost of saves?

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 03:19 AM »
I recently experienced this phenomenon. Once this error kicks on, you can kiss your save goodbye. According to what I observed, this is what happens when the battery is dry.

You have the save of your current game on the SRAM. Once the battery is dead, the SRAM will be wiped. Supposed the last game I played is Super Mario World.

If you ever play another game, the GBA X5 will copy the contents of the SRAM to the SD CARD and... as you have guessed, since that SRAM is empty now, the copied save file will also be empty. I have confirmed this the hard way where several game files I have were all wiped!

Imagine this scenario:

Last Game: Super Mario World -> New Game: Advance Wars 2 -> Everdrive will load the Advance Wars 2 save file, it still works -> Once I turned off the GBA, the SRAM will be cleared -> I played a different game and this time, the cleared SRAM will overwrite the Advance Wars 2 save on the SD Card wiping out my progress.

This is a serious issue. I hope Krikzz will issue a firmware update to correct this. The obvious solution is to not copy the SRAM to the SD Card if the battery is dry. Another is to emulate the SRAM to the SD Card (slower method I guess).

Krikzz will not issue a firmware update to correct this. because that be stupid the end user just needs to replace the battery.

Offline gamecollectorshop

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 09:52 AM »

Imagine this scenario:

Krikzz will not issue a firmware update to correct this. because that be stupid the end user just needs to replace the battery.

The issue is that the last game you played before you get this message will have its save wiped and that will be written to the sd card. There is no way of knowing when will that happen.

What I am asking is that whenever this happens, the everdrive should not let the blank SRAM overwrite the saves on the sd card.