Author Topic: X3 with Model 2 Genesis fails  (Read 693 times)

Offline Raja258

• View Profile
X3 with Model 2 Genesis fails
« on: July 17, 2019, 11:23 PM »
Hi,

So I'm on my 2nd X3 actually.  Just sent back the other to Amazon and I am having compatibility issues.

To get things out of the way:

My Genesis is nearly mint, can run any game.  I had some long sessions of Sonic 2 and X-Men (I know, it sucks) with real cartridges with no issues.  It's not modded and it has the original power adapter.  I even opened it up, it's as mint as can be.  I ran the diagnostics and everything came back just fine.

I used 2 SD cards.  One is a nice Samsung 32gb card I bought a couple of years ago for my RPI3 and another is a 512gb card from sandisk.  Formatted them twice in FAT 32.

I went ahead and tried multiple versions of the following roms from the GoodGen torrent.  Supposedly these are the ones to use.

Here's my issues:

Sonic 2 - crashes and get's graphical glitches everywhere

Shadow Dancer - crash crash crash, just won't stop.  I get lucky and make it level 3 sometimes, but most of time times it'll crash in level 1-2.  I tried multiple roms and multiple regions.  Same result.  Just feels like it's incompatible.

Rocket Knight Adventures - works a bit longer than most of the games, but seems to crash a few levels in.

Moonwalker - graphical glitches, long long pauses when Bubbles the Monkey comes out and eventually it'll crash but the music will still play.

Like I said, I'm at my wit's end.  I would buy another Genesis, but it seems pointless being that it plays real games just fine, including the non-rom of Sonic 2.  What are my options?  Should I return yet another?  Is there a bad batch of these or something?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 11:33 PM by Raja258 »

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
Re: X3 with Model 2 Genesis fails
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 12:02 AM »
What revision is your console main board (VAx)?

I've seen people having issues with VA4 consoles.

I would try recapping it and replace it's power regulators to another 7805 or 78s05.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 12:04 AM by Marteicos »

Offline Raja258

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 02:29 AM »
According to this link:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?7796-GUIDE-Telling-apart-good-Genesis-1s-and-Genesis-2s-from-bad-ones

It's a VA0

I don't think there's a VA4 for the model 2 variants.

Edit: I have 0 soldering skills and I'd rather buy another Genesis but I promise you this thing is tip top.

Edit 2: As annoying as it is, I went ahead and picked up another Genesis Model 2 and lo and behold it works.  I'm pretty disappointed with overall compatibility. but I guess now I have 2 Genesis's.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 05:18 AM by Raja258 »

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 01:03 PM »
In your previous post the was no mention of what model exactly it was, I wrongly assumed it was model1, sorry about that.

I have a Tectoy Mega Drive lii that sports a VA0 (very similar with the Genesis model 2 VA0) main pcb and have no problems with my Everdrive, chances are that something with your system is not working correctly.

It's good to know that it works with another system, enjoy your Everdrive.

I've seen some consoles playing some games perfectly but crashing with others, good real game cart to test this is Contra Hard Corps, this one straight crashes after a couple time of gameplay. Also probably Sonic and Knuckles with Sonic 3 attached would have problems with your first Genesis.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 01:09 PM by Marteicos »

Offline Raja258

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 05:09 PM »
In your previous post the was no mention of what model exactly it was

It literally says the model I have in the post title.

Also, I'd really like to see pics of your board and such from Tectoy.  I don't think Sega handled the manufacturing on it and I'd like to see what it looks like.

edit: According to what little information there is out there, Tectoy did not always rebadge Sega boards, but made their own:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?10292-Tectoy-Megadrive-motherboard-revisions
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 05:36 PM by Raja258 »

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 02:39 PM »
I missed the tittle entirely, sorry.  :-[

I know but Mega Drive lii VA0 main pcb are strikingly similar with Genesis 2 with a VA0 main pcb. There is some differences, it's not exactly the same pcb.
At the time I think they made the pcb only, Sega parts were imported and the system was built in Brazilian territory.

I can take photos but the pcb is modded with a Mega amp and a Arduino nano (Mega drive++), the install schematics for Genesis 2 VA0 matched perfectly.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 02:45 PM by Marteicos »