Author Topic: the next everdrive?  (Read 335338 times)

Offline kruuth

• View Profile
Re: the next everdrive?
« Reply #195 on: June 02, 2014, 09:34 PM »
Forget the AES.  Make an MVS version and someone will develop an adapter that will work with it.  if Krikzz announced that he would be releasing an MVS everdrive tomorrow and the cost was $750 USD I'd be emailing him asking if he took preorders.  With the cost of games being what they are, it's still cheaper buying the everdrive.  Assume the cost of a single MVS game is $50 right now, then counting the 152 official games, and with clones there's 240.  So doing the math there:

152*$50= $7600
240*$50= $12000

I'm just throwing numbers there, but given the amount of $$ that I've sunk into my MVS system over the years $500 would be reasonable to me. 

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 03, 2014, 11:48 AM »
I would love a Jag flash cart but I'm not sure its even possible otherwise somebody would have made one by now.
There are loads of hardcore Atari gamers that would by one in an instant , so lots of money to be made.

There are not enough games, and certainly not enough GOOD games for the Jag to warrant a flashcart. I was surprised he made one for the SMS and GG and there are way more collectors who have those, with way more games for each console.
true but theres alot of jag developers out there some really clever guys, at this moment there is a new skunkboard production batch in the works and its created alot of interest, a few hundred members from atari age have already claimed a unit including myself, god knows where else the production batch has been announced so yes plenty of ££££££ will be made with a jaguar flashcart, looks like krikzz has missed out a good opportunity from a buisness point of view, yes the jag has poor games and yes the skunkboard is a pain to use so just imagine how easy a everdrive version would be for the developer, that is where and why it will sell easy :)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 11:54 AM by dvd2vcd »
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 03, 2014, 01:32 PM »
I would love a Jag flash cart but I'm not sure its even possible otherwise somebody would have made one by now.
There are loads of hardcore Atari gamers that would by one in an instant , so lots of money to be made.

There are not enough games, and certainly not enough GOOD games for the Jag to warrant a flashcart. I was surprised he made one for the SMS and GG and there are way more collectors who have those, with way more games for each console.
true but theres alot of jag developers out there some really clever guys, at this moment there is a new skunkboard production batch in the works and its created alot of interest, a few hundred members from atari age have already claimed a unit including myself, god knows where else the production batch has been announced so yes plenty of ££££££ will be made with a jaguar flashcart, looks like krikzz has missed out a good opportunity from a buisness point of view, yes the jag has poor games and yes the skunkboard is a pain to use so just imagine how easy a everdrive version would be for the developer, that is where and why it will sell easy :)
The system was a piece of shit console then and still is one today. There is NOTHING that will change that fact. Krikzz has not missed any business opportunity on this. This was one of the worst selling consoles of all time and has some of the worst design ideas I've ever seen, in both hardware and game development (gets perfect doom port, but can't play any of the music?). What the hell was the numberpad for? The design of the controller looks like my hands would fall off if I used it for more than five minutes at a time. The CD add on just makes the design look even more horrible. How many games does thing thing have? less than 150? I would assume so, since the damn thing sold fuck all basically, selling less than 250,000 units. The homebrew stuff probably isn't even worth it either. Strider1911 is right. There aren't any good games for it. :P
Owned Everdrives: Everdrive MD, Mega Everdrive, Everdrive N8, Everdrive GB X5, Turbo Everdrive, Super Everdrive, Everdrive GBA

Misc Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 03, 2014, 02:29 PM »

The system was a piece of shit console then and still is one today. There is NOTHING that will change that fact. Krikzz has not missed any business opportunity on this. This was one of the worst selling consoles of all time and has some of the worst design ideas I've ever seen, in both hardware and game development (gets perfect doom port, but can't play any of the music?). What the hell was the numberpad for? The design of the controller looks like my hands would fall off if I used it for more than five minutes at a time. The CD add on just makes the design look even more horrible. How many games does thing thing have? less than 150? I would assume so, since the damn thing sold fuck all basically, selling less than 250,000 units. The homebrew stuff probably isn't even worth it either. Strider1911 is right. There aren't any good games for it. :P
says the guy who finds ezflash complicated to use  :o LOL....yet skunkboards sell out as soon as they are released  :-X
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 02:38 PM by dvd2vcd »

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 03, 2014, 03:18 PM »
I've never used a Jaguar, so I can't really comment on it (well, I did try to emulate a few of it's games, but the emulator was less than perfect, I keep meaning to try it now, since so long has passed the emulators are probably a lot more accurate now), but when I read about the console being twenty years old this year I looked through the Jaguar forums at Atari Age for information, and the Jaguar does have some very loyal fans. I don't know how many, so I don't know if it would be cost effective for Krikzz or anyone to develop a real backup cartridge (as opposed to a Skunk board, which if I've got it right doesn't allow for game saving, only holds two games, and has to be connected directly to the PC to transfer game roms across), but the Jaguar must have something good about it to have such loyalty, even if from only a few users.

And the Jaguar does have a much more active homebrew scene than the N64, although I don't know if Jaguar game hacking/modding is as popular as N64 game hacking/modding (well, game hacking on the N64 isn't exactly common, but thankfully the games that are altered are mostly very good, such as Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Super Mario 64, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, F-Zero X, etc). And the Jaguar homebrew scene does seem to be still fairly alive, as opposed to the (much easer to program, with a much larger user base) original XBox, which once had a *massive* homebrew scene yet nowadays the homebrew is almost dead.*

There are even dedicated events such as Jagfest, where Jaguar fans meet up to discuss/play and swap software/hardware for the Jaguar, but I don't know of anything even remotely similar for either the N64 or XBox, despite them both having far more users and games.

* Well, XBox homebrew is now very rarely released, but of course the huge number of past hmebrew releases are still available, and many of them are still well worth using, such as ports of games that had their source codes released (Doom 1 and 2, Quake 1 to 3, Duke Nukem 3D, Alien vs. Predator, Shadow Warrior, Descent 1 and 2, Cave Story, etc), a *superb* media player (XBMC, that plays just about any movie or audio format you can name, it's only failing is that (due to the XBox's limitations) it can't play hi-def movies or Blu-ray discs), fantastic emulators for just about every 8 and 16 bit console/computer you can name, and even emulators for 32 and 64 bit systems (such as the Playstation and N64, though here the performance and compatibility is often much less satisfactory, depending on the game you're emulating, again due to the XBox's hardware limitations).

Offline wilykat

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 03, 2014, 03:22 PM »

Nothing? I guess game.com, N-Gage, or Sega Pico Everdrive would be better?

Virtualboy was a bigger flop than Jaguar by a long shot. They were sold in USA for only about 6 months before Nintendo abandoned it. You can count the number of good games with just one hand and 14 games total for USA release. Jaguar had more than that.

Offline DBloke

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 03, 2014, 08:34 PM »
^But the Virtual Boy has a ton of Homebrew, so does the Jag
TNOG.ORG - Games nights in Manchester - https://www.youtube.com/user/Darkprinny

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 03, 2014, 09:46 PM »

says the guy who finds ezflash complicated to use  :o LOL....yet skunkboards sell out as soon as they are released  :-X
Neversaid it was confusing. I said that they are cheap products sold from china that break in a month and use complicated software that have either No documentation or it's in complete pidgin english.

Nothing? I guess game.com, N-Gage, or Sega Pico Everdrive would be better?

Virtualboy was a bigger flop than Jaguar by a long shot. They were sold in USA for only about 6 months before Nintendo abandoned it. You can count the number of good games with just one hand and 14 games total for USA release. Jaguar had more than that.
Those systems aren't better. When did I ever say or imply that they were better? >_> A GBA Everdrive would be nice. Don't tell me that foolishness that Krikzz said he isn't going to make one. he's said that about previous  Everdrives.
^But the Virtual Boy has a ton of Homebrew, so does the Jag
Except that nobody would ever buy these failed consoles for homebrew in the first place.  ::)

Is the homebrew on the Jaguar even good?? Because every game that I saw gameplay of, looked like crap, played like crap, and sounded like crap. So you'd be playing like 30 licensed games (Off topic, but why the hell is the music missing in Doom?) and bunch of homebrew games that may or may not be any good? So you people are trying to tell me, that a system that sold fewer than 250,00 units in the US and sold pretty much nothing in Europe, with almost no games, and with horrible hardware flaws and design choices, warrants an everdrive?? Really? How can krikzz even know how to program the OS of the system is so goddamned complicated to program for with its shitty hardware? I'm sure he can learn, but is it worth it? Are the manufacturing costs worth it?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 10:25 PM by Missingno255 »
Owned Everdrives: Everdrive MD, Mega Everdrive, Everdrive N8, Everdrive GB X5, Turbo Everdrive, Super Everdrive, Everdrive GBA

Misc Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Online nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 05, 2014, 02:00 AM »
I have a feeling this thread will end up like the last one.

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 05, 2014, 05:54 AM »
OK. Enough with the 5 year olds at the playground discussion style that this thread is venturing towards.

Comments were deleted.

I'm not gonna lock it.

Everyone just needs to calm the F**K down...like seriously.

As I mentioned before, KRIKzz has already covered the popular systems (sans the GBA), leaving only the consoles with a cult following. We need to look beyond the scope of titles released for X console and see future possibilities of homebrew with an Everdrive for X console.

Time will tell if KRIKzz even decides to add to the Everdrive family. Whatever he decides, I'm sure we'll all support him 100%.

We can keep this thread going, just KEEP IT CIVIL!

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 05, 2014, 10:35 PM »
KRIKzz has already covered the popular systems (sans the GBA), leaving only the consoles with a cult following. We need to look beyond the scope of titles released for X console and see future possibilities of homebrew with an Everdrive for X console.
here here!

Offline Dr.wario

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 06, 2014, 06:47 AM »
Forget the AES.  Make an MVS version and someone will develop an adapter that will work with it.  if Krikzz announced that he would be releasing an MVS everdrive tomorrow and the cost was $750 USD I'd be emailing him asking if he took preorders.  With the cost of games being what they are, it's still cheaper buying the everdrive.  Assume the cost of a single MVS game is $50 right now, then counting the 152 official games, and with clones there's 240.  So doing the math there:

152*$50= $7600
240*$50= $12000

I'm just throwing numbers there, but given the amount of $$ that I've sunk into my MVS system over the years $500 would be reasonable to me.

I prove you wrong:
a MVS 161 in 1 plus a 151 in 1 covers about 98% of the games => costs you about 200$
nobody is going to buy a MVS everdrive, the deal is wiht the AES, cost of a decent AES->MVS convertor is about 260$ and up

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 06, 2014, 07:00 AM »

152*$50= $7600
240*$50= $12000

I prove you wrong:
a MVS 161 in 1 plus a 151 in 1 covers about 98% of the games => costs you about 200$
nobody is going to buy a MVS everdrive, the deal is wiht the AES, cost of a decent AES->MVS convertor is about 260$ and up

Sort of:
http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/MVS_Multicart

More like 85%.

Offline francouai

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 20, 2014, 09:31 AM »
I am also for Gameboy Advance Everdrive GBA Everdrive!! Please create one Krikzz!!

@YES!!

Offline relo999

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 22, 2014, 03:23 AM »
Apart from my still love for CD addon replacement, I also think a good one would be a ColecoVision or C64 (that is console-ish) one, both have still quite and active following/homebrew community and in the case of colecovision not that complex (both have one already to some extend, but the colecovision one is quite expensive compared to similar console flashcarts from that era and the C64 has an SD2IED one but a cart would be nice).

A 7800 or a better 2600 one would be nice to, I know they are both in development but they seem to be in development hell. If I remeber correct the 7800 one was announced in 2010 and set for release 2011 and yet there is still not a clear date set.