Author Topic: the next everdrive?  (Read 313710 times)

Offline Mad Hatter

• View Profile
Re: the next everdrive?
« Reply #255 on: September 22, 2014, 11:09 AM »
What about a Sega Saturn Everdrive. Where we could play games from the cartridge slot and eliminate load times :).

I think that is the most do-able suggestion here (after GBA everdrive)

Doable, possibly.  Worth it?  Ehhh, I dunno.  I love my Saturn, but a $30 easily installed mod-chip will let you play CD backups (with a very few games that use dual-layer encoding [Like Virtua Cop] being annoying exceptions). 

I'm also uncertain as to whether the Saturn is truly capable of accessing the cart slot in a meaningful (gameplay-wise) manner.

It'll be worth it. imo.

I agree with KalessinDB. Burning CDs is annoying, especially when you have to burn a lot of them. It's much easier to load things on a SD Card and organize it from there. You won't have to switch CDs, which is a big plus for me.

And lastly, Saturn lasers do die. From what I heard, the first thing to go wrong with the Saturn is usually the laser. So it would be nice to have something that could add life to the console.
Mega EverDrive x7, EverDrive-GB X7, SD2SNES Original, EZ Flash IV, R4i-SDHC

Offline Mad Hatter

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 22, 2014, 11:16 AM »
What about a Sega Saturn Everdrive. Where we could play games from the cartridge slot and eliminate load times :).

I think that is the most do-able suggestion here (after GBA everdrive)
What was kind of joking. a Saturn Everdrive seems impossible (to me).

You think a Saturn Everdrive is even possible?
Deunan (that makes GDEMU) is supposedly working on a Saturn ODE.  I doubt it will use the cartridge slot, but I imagine it'll be very nice.  My Saturn's got a mod chip and a region free bios, but I'd still likely buy one.  I hate burning CDs, and I hate burning coasters more, and eventually lasers do die.
Never knew about this GDEMU till now lol. Thanks. Looking into this thing now. And I just found out about NEO4All as well. What a day.

What does ODE mean?

I hear you on burning CDs. I hate burning them. But honestly, I haven't burnt a coaster in a long time. I used to burn a lot when I used my laptop's DVD drive. But I have an old desktop (and this PC is from 2006) now for CD/DVD burning. And I can honestly say that I have not done a bad burn unless it was my fault (using the wrong setting or something).

I use a Liteon iHAS324 and IMGBurn. Use it for Saturn, Dreamcast, and 360.

Just wanted to let you know. Just in case if you are burning a bunch of coasters and wasting CDs/DVDs.

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 22, 2014, 11:52 AM »
ODE means Optical Drive Emulator/Emulation

I can't rememeber where i read about it, but i think the PS-IO team is working on a Saturn ODE too.

Many people talks about laser failing, but for me, the main issue is the CD itself.
When it came out, the CD was meant to be the ultimate storage system, lifetime guarantee.
but, hell, no. Many of the CDs, or even DVDs i've burnt for the last 10-15 years have passed away, becoming unreadable. Not most, but many. and more than dead lasers :)
I'm not a tech, i won't be able to explain that, but everyone knows that burnt CD/DVD don't have the reliability of the pressed ones.

That's why i look for ODE for every CD/GD/DVD ROM systems i own.

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 22, 2014, 08:55 PM »
ODE means Optical Drive Emulator/Emulation

I can't rememeber where i read about it, but i think the PS-IO team is working on a Saturn ODE too.

Many people talks about laser failing, but for me, the main issue is the CD itself.
When it came out, the CD was meant to be the ultimate storage system, lifetime guarantee.
but, hell, no. Many of the CDs, or even DVDs i've burnt for the last 10-15 years have passed away, becoming unreadable. Not most, but many. and more than dead lasers :)
I'm not a tech, i won't be able to explain that, but everyone knows that burnt CD/DVD don't have the reliability of the pressed ones.

That's why i look for ODE for every CD/GD/DVD ROM systems i own.

i lose sleep over possible burnt cd-dvd failures from age. it's true that we need ODE devices for all possible classic gaming systems.
 now that storage is getting really big keeps getting bigger and more affordable i'm considering in the future backing up every cd/dvd/cd-r/dvd-r onto large hard drives and keeping the drives safe stored in very good conditions.
 i always purchased good brand cd-r and dvd-r in the past knowing that they would out last the cheap ones but with everything backed up and all these ode devices on the way the future would be good for optical drive classic gaming :)

Offline TeamShake

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 27, 2014, 07:13 AM »

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 27, 2014, 07:26 AM »

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 27, 2014, 10:19 AM »
What the heck ?
Damn, Krikzz, did you realise what you've done ? Did you realise what you're getting in ?
You've awaiken the beast....
Now you started the GBA project, even when you stated that you won't do it...
Now..

You''l have the JAGUAR Everdrive claimer at your bottom !!
Run, Krikzz, RUUUUNN !

Offline GreatFunky

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 27, 2014, 10:21 AM »
 :o the next baby after ed64V3 .....

Offline TheRetromancer

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 27, 2014, 10:26 AM »
What the heck ?
Damn, Krikzz, did you realise what you've done ? Did you realise what you're getting in ?
You've awaiken the beast....
Now you started the GBA project, even when you stated that you won't do it...
Now..

You''l have the JAGUAR Everdrive claimer at your bottom !!
Run, Krikzz, RUUUUNN !
Who knows?  Maybe we'll get the NEO Everdrive, after all...
Code is sacred to programmers - Krikzz' stuff is the holy grail.  It's literally like asking if you can stick your finger up the Pope's arse.

The best way to learn is to ask questions.  Remember, there are no stupid questions - only stupid people, and stupid people DON'T ASK QUESTIONS.

Offline TheNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 27, 2014, 10:43 AM »
May be a GBA Everdrive afterall
https://twitter.com/krikzz/status/515682206577348608
i can't wait, i just got a gameboy micro & gameboy SP a couple weeks ago.

Offline sk8er000

• View Profile
R: Re: the next everdrive?
« Reply #265 on: September 27, 2014, 01:33 PM »
May be a GBA Everdrive afterall
https://twitter.com/krikzz/status/515682206577348608
Whaaaaat?!?!? I really need to start to save my money.. I hope to be in the first orders!

Offline Mad Hatter

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 27, 2014, 01:47 PM »
I don't mean any disrespect here, but I really didn't think there would be so much buzz for a GBA cart tbh since the EZ Flash IV has already been out for a while.

I have one, and it works fine. It could be better though. You have to use a program to transfer your games. And it isn't able to play GB/GBC games without an emulator.

Offline actionless

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 27, 2014, 04:09 PM »
Have to disagree, the EZ Flash is garbage compared to the quality of Everdrives. I have one and its going straight in the bin once I get an Everdrive GBA. I am sure they will sell like hot cakes. For GB/GBC get the Everdrive GB which is awesome.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 27, 2014, 05:09 PM »
I knew this would happen! :D

Have to disagree, the EZ Flash is garbage compared to the quality of Everdrives. I have one and its going straight in the bin once I get an Everdrive GBA. I am sure they will sell like hot cakes. For GB/GBC get the Everdrive GB which is awesome.
It will probably be a lot better than EZ Flash but I'm more inclined if it will be better than my M3.

Offline Mad Hatter

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 27, 2014, 05:26 PM »
What's wrong with your EZ Flash IV?