Author Topic: the next everdrive?  (Read 335943 times)

Offline lastcallhall

• View Profile
Re: the next everdrive?
« Reply #345 on: November 07, 2014, 09:34 PM »
This is the best news I've heard all year!

Offline Chilly Willy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 07, 2014, 11:53 PM »
The NEC CD is a flip top, so you couldn't change discs without removing the Genesis. I'd guess that's just a size comparison thing... showing you could stick a complete CD system into less the half the space the SegaCD takes.

And the image of the Genesis is just showing him probing the expansion port with an oscilloscope. There's nothing else going on there to make guess about why he's doing it.

At most you could guess he's thinking about putting a modern CD into the SegaCD case (possibly under the Genesis instead of beside it), which would then need a patched CD BIOS to control.

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
  • So many games, too little time
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
« Reply #347 on: November 07, 2014, 11:58 PM »
And the image of the Genesis is just showing him probing the expansion port with an oscilloscope. There's nothing else going on there to make guess about why he's doing it.
Shhh! I was trying to build false hype! ;)
2600-Harmony Encore; NES-PowerPak, EverDrive N8; GB-EverDrive GB v1; SNES-Super ED v1, SD2SNES; GEN-Mega ED v1; N64-ED64 v2; NGPC-Bung 32Mb, NeoFlashMasta, NeoFlashMasta USB, NGP SD; GBA-EZ-Flash II 256Mb, EZ-Flash IV Redux, ED GBA X5; NDS-R4

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 08, 2014, 12:20 AM »
The sega posts were preceded by this one.  If you ask me, he's just showing off his wares.

Offline Link83

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 10, 2014, 01:05 AM »
Another teaser or...? What's going on there with the expansion port? ;)

https://twitter.com/krikzz/status/530534579615305729

I just noticed that the cartridge PCB says "Mega Everdrive" along the left edge, but it doesn't match the picture of the current Mega Everdrive v1:-

...So perhaps the twitter photo shows a Mega Everdrive v2?

I wonder if it will support Mega-CD ISO loading? Or maybe it even emulates the entire Mega-CD so you dont even need the add-on at all!?

I'm excited, but just hope v1 users will still get at least some of the new features.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 01:37 AM by Link83 »

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: November 10, 2014, 01:58 AM »
After seeing the GBA everdrive tweet, I wonder if the cartridge will support SDRAM, and if so, will it support 32MB (256 megabit)? Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories is the largest game on the GBA and is the only game that has a ROM size that large, since the game uses compressed FMV.
Owned Everdrives: Everdrive MD, Mega Everdrive, Everdrive N8, Everdrive GB X5, Turbo Everdrive, Super Everdrive, Everdrive GBA

Misc Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
  • So many games, too little time
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
« Reply #351 on: November 10, 2014, 03:50 AM »
I just noticed that the cartridge PCB says "Mega Everdrive" along the left edge, but it doesn't match the picture of the current Mega Everdrive v1:-

...So perhaps the twitter photo shows a Mega Everdrive v2?
I noticed this as well and was wondering if anyone else would spot it.
2600-Harmony Encore; NES-PowerPak, EverDrive N8; GB-EverDrive GB v1; SNES-Super ED v1, SD2SNES; GEN-Mega ED v1; N64-ED64 v2; NGPC-Bung 32Mb, NeoFlashMasta, NeoFlashMasta USB, NGP SD; GBA-EZ-Flash II 256Mb, EZ-Flash IV Redux, ED GBA X5; NDS-R4

Offline Chilly Willy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 10, 2014, 04:21 AM »
Considering how many chips are on the pcb, I was assuming it was an old pre-v1 board.

Offline Link83

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 10, 2014, 04:46 AM »
Considering how many chips are on the pcb, I was assuming it was an old pre-v1 board.
You can tell its a later 'v2' design as it uses voltage shift buffers on the address lines instead of resistors, and krikzz only started using those on Everdrive's designed after 2013 (The latest/current Mega Everdrive v1.01 PCB was designed on 19/03/2012 and still used resistors)

The Famicom Everdrive N8 was the first Everdrive to feature them:-
http://krikzz.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=59
"Voltage shift buffers on PPU and CPU bus for matching levels between 5v NES bus and 3.3 EverDrive bus. Far better than simple resistor buffers at reducing noise and power consumption."
Every Everdrive designed/released since has used voltage shift buffers (Except the Everdrive 64, which doesn't need them)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 05:13 AM by Link83 »

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 10, 2014, 08:44 PM »
Disc-based systems would be cool, but the libraries are much too big for what puts the charm into krikzz's products: everything on one cart.

That's an interesting point! Still, no doubt we'd all love to see Everdrives for disc based consoles, where the Everdrive uses a hard drive to store the roms. But out of interest, what disc based consoles have the smallest rom file sizes? Is there a disc based console who's entire rom library could fit onto say a 64GB USB stick? I wouldn't be too surprised if this were possible for some very early consoles, especially if their commercial game libraries weren't large.

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 10, 2014, 10:28 PM »
if it were possible to boot disk images in bin cue format with mp3's then a lot of space would be saved. not sure if it is possible and not a problem if it's not possible but the cd audio seems to take up most the space with sega mega cd, pcengine cd,  amiga cd32and other older cd based systems/addons.
 the actual game data for most of these old games is rather small, a lot of the games appear to be regular games with cd quality audio soundtracks.

Offline Jiro

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 11, 2014, 04:40 AM »
A full torrent of Sega CD (USA only) is 64.44 GB, but unfortunately that 1) is compressed, and 2) is in actual GB, not the 1000*1024 that are used for measuring SD cards, so it wouldn't fit.  It would fit on a 128G card though.  Wikipedia lists 210 games for all regions, which if you assume 500 MB each uncompressed on the average would be 105 GB and would fit on a 128G card. 

If you count 32X CD separately, of course, it would fit.

The magic of google gives me 125 games (but lots more non-games) for CD-I.  Depending on how close to max CD size they are, it's *possible* they could all fit on a 64G card, but who really knows.

Jaguar CD has 11 games plus 9 prototypes which should fit.  The Nuon had 8 games and 3 samplers, which may or may not fit depending on how big they are (Nuon was a DVD system).  The PC-FX had 62 games.  This should also fit.

Offline sevgames

• View Profile
Re: atari jaguar everdrive
« Reply #357 on: November 11, 2014, 02:32 PM »
yes I am also waiting for a jaguar everdrive

Offline DBloke

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 11, 2014, 08:35 PM »
A full library is fine, but it might end up having regional dupes and some total cack
TNOG.ORG - Games nights in Manchester - https://www.youtube.com/user/Darkprinny

Offline Dr.wario

• View Profile
Re: atari jaguar everdrive
« Reply #359 on: November 12, 2014, 01:24 PM »
That's makes two , well production cost covered i would say :p