Author Topic: the next everdrive?  (Read 334566 times)

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: atari jaguar everdrive
« Reply #420 on: February 17, 2015, 04:58 AM »
The funny thing is there's probably several "hardcore" Jaguar fans that are hoarding all the games. Add to that people saccing retail games for shells for flashcards, there won't be no choice but to "pirate" and get decent flashcard.

Is there even an active homebrew community? At least the Vritual boy fans have THIS.

Offline DBloke

• View Profile
« Reply #421 on: February 17, 2015, 07:23 AM »

[/quote]
There is, I know someone that can code for it, but hes all up for a flash cart (apparently its great at 2D and was pushed as a 3D machine)
Almost all homebrew for it is on the Jag CD, the faulty add on that they released instead of more games

Theres a fixed version of Checkered flag that sorts out its meany problems
TNOG.ORG - Games nights in Manchester - https://www.youtube.com/user/Darkprinny

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #422 on: February 17, 2015, 04:28 PM »
the good news regarding most the homebrew being on jag cd format ios that apparetnly it would be rather easy with some know how to make a jaguar flashcart jag cd iso compatible. chilly willy explained why without going to much in depth a while back.
 i was hoping if krikzz was not up for making a jag flash cart that chilly willy may come up with something at some point. i would buy a jag flashcart in an instant, just so long as it ain't the skunkboard and supports game saves.

Offline NeoXbit

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: February 20, 2015, 02:44 AM »
Alright, I checked the "skunkboard" out and I would rather wait for a Jaguar Everdrive to be made, if possible/ever. The Everdrive line of carts has shown nothing but reliability and excellent features and I expect no less from any upcoming product made by Krikzz.

Offline teamvb

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: February 21, 2015, 02:57 AM »
Keep your original safe until the God of consoles, release a jag everdrive, but don't hold Ur breath
EVERDRIVE 64v3,SUPERDRIVE v2, SD2SNES rev F (mod to H),UFO PRO SD,GAME DOCTOR 7 128MB USB,TURBO EVERDRIVE v1,MEGA EVERDRIVE V2,EVERDRIVE MD V1,MASTER EVERDRIVE,FLASHKIT MD,EVERDRIVE N8/FAMICOM,EVERDRIVE GBA X5

Offline teamvb

• View Profile
« Reply #425 on: February 21, 2015, 05:39 AM »
I don't know why some people are concerned about pirateing old flash cards,they are discontinued products,I see Alot of people buying old console and games for cheap and reselling them for a high price, they are the ones make it  expensive for everyone, then krikzz (God of consoles) comes to the rescue with all these flash cards, don't get me wrong I still buy original carts, having  a krikzz flash cards have some benefit
Play with backup Keep your original safe,dust free, play translated Japanese games, mod, homebrew games, I just ordered a turbo everdrive, everdrive n64v3,mega everdrive v2,super everdrive v2 with dsp, master everdrive, sd2snes,flashkit md and flashkit md today for my bday present, I will play with these flash cards and continue to buy a flash card game, if the price is right, everyone is different, don't judge people if you don't know them, normal  people can not afford Alot of toys, only rich people can, krikzz thank you for making all these wonderful flash cards.
EVERDRIVE 64v3,SUPERDRIVE v2, SD2SNES rev F (mod to H),UFO PRO SD,GAME DOCTOR 7 128MB USB,TURBO EVERDRIVE v1,MEGA EVERDRIVE V2,EVERDRIVE MD V1,MASTER EVERDRIVE,FLASHKIT MD,EVERDRIVE N8/FAMICOM,EVERDRIVE GBA X5

Offline DBloke

• View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 21, 2015, 09:09 AM »
Well...........(Everytime I type that I imagine one of the Road warriors saying it, CURSE YOU WRESTLING!!)

Mostly its a piracy issue, some people are very anti piracy due to mental health problems

But then theres some right dumb gits that think things like Everdrives are emulation

I have had some people complain that I use Everdrives at my games nights ("Its not the same") to them I say the following

"Would you want to have a pile of YOUR expensive games laying about for any dodgy gezzer to nick also some people always want to play games I dont want to own"
I have had some games nicked in the past

Offline teamvb

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: February 23, 2015, 12:53 PM »
Lol, when I get my everdrives , I am going to sealed all my carts  in a airtight bag, and store them in a good place, I know the feeling when someone borrow  games and never return them and you pay good money for them $70 to $80 each  I let people borrow games 15years ago, I don't see any return till this day

Offline cutterjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #428 on: February 27, 2015, 02:17 AM »
May be at someday, but currently i have no plans to make the cart for jaguar
Heh.  I just came here to take a look at everdrive for n64 and THOUGH HAY! What about the Jag?!  Anyways you NEED to DO THIS.  Especially if you can emulate the CD drive as well.  OTOH Jag hardware was kinda flakey(CHEAP by Atari, IBM built them so the build is good, just questionable quality specced parts) to begin with so ...

Looked around for a forum to ask...

Offtopic looks about it...

...and what do I find?!
THIS thread.

You know that captcha to post is a real PITA and BOTH images that I tried were incredibly difficult to make out, the first one so bad that I didn't even try.  So many people just don't understand contrast... (you wouldn't believe the products that I buy and the shades of text color is so close to the background that it's almost impossible to read, e.g. mediumish yellow on darkish yellow, mediumish brown of darkish brown, lightish blue on mediumish blue, etc.  worst(mall maybe not worst) thing many of them it's supposed to apparently be marketing drivel...)

...and I phail at captcha... ...and again...

Offline teamvb

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 03, 2015, 03:49 AM »
I just bought 3 atari jaguar, now I will have total of 4 jaguar, only thing left is a good atari jaguar flash card,

Offline rocketblast

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: March 03, 2015, 06:38 AM »
What I could never get is why is the Jaguar emulator so bad.  I mean it plays games but it crashes like mad.  All we would need is an emulator just to see if the games are good, which they are not.  It is going to be hard to sell a flash cart for a system that has no good games.

Offline wilykat

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: March 03, 2015, 02:37 PM »
What I could never get is why is the Jaguar emulator so bad.  I mean it plays games but it crashes like mad.  All we would need is an emulator just to see if the games are good, which they are not.  It is going to be hard to sell a flash cart for a system that has no good games.

You ever try to emulate 5 CPUs at once?  Jaguar has an odd hardware design in that any of those 5 CPUs can be used as fit.  One game may use only the 16-bits 68000 and ignore other, one may use one for video, one for audio, one for AI, etc.

Those 5 never worked together nicely, it was a hack job like Sega Saturn was.  So when people tried to make emulator, they never quite got everything to work together properly.

Offline Johnny23b

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: March 03, 2015, 04:11 PM »
I don't know so much about the Atari Jaguar, but I guess that was the reason why it didnt get very popular, because of it beeing difficult to program games on it, just like the Sega Saturn never had the best graphics in 3D games as it could have been.
The Sega Saturn was an excellent console.
I am sad that there were so many games not as good as it should have been.

Offline DBloke

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: March 03, 2015, 04:53 PM »
Sega underestimated 3D games and due to that the SS wasnt to cleaver with them

2D wise ITS A MONSTER!!

Sos the Jag apparently

Offline rocketblast

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: March 04, 2015, 09:08 AM »
You know, Atari Karts was a kinda interesting game for this console.  Problem is, the game mechanics are kinda crude.  It's like a botched mario kart clone (as most popular mario kart clones tend to be anyway).

Checkered Flag was interesting til I saw reviews and also tried it in the emulator.  I won't say it is almost impossible to play but if you play it for a few minutes it feels like it is.

Aliens vs Predator was always the most hyped up game for this console back throughout the late 1990s and early 2000's and possibly to this day.  Problem is, the game is stale and lackluster as a title.

Club Drive I shouldn't go there.  Box art, game name, etc is kinda neat but the game just plain sucks.

I think that the Jaguar is an interesting piece of retro gaming history but seriously, why try to build a console with old fashioned stuff like a number pad (weren't we done with this, say from video game market crash ColecoVision which I do like, actually oddly enough the Coleco has a better game library than this console haha but I guess that goes without saying because it uses the tried and true Z80 which is also in your GameBoy [everdrive gameboy fans] and it is also the processor that gives you sound in the Sega Genesis / Megadrive [mega everdrive fans].)

I guess I should mention one more game, Tempest 2000.  While I think this game is quite lame after a couple minutes, a lot of people like it and also swear by the sound track.  There is a PC port of it so if you think you need a Jaguar just for a fix of this game, well you don't.  But as far as I recall the PC port I played did not have music.  Possibly it originally came with CDDA.  Anyway, I think the Jaguar version probably had music as well as included a pack in audio disc with the music tracks on it or something.

I just looked up top 10 Jaguar games and noticed Protector SE which for some reason I never heard of.  It looks nice in the screen shot but we have drop zone for snes anyways as well as a bunch of Defender games on various systems.

Less than 10 mentionable games, lack of interest from people who actually will put forward cash and purchase a flash cart for this system.

Seriously, KRIKzz would have an easier time developing and selling a flash cart for a more popular system such as of course GBA (why? we already have plenty kits for this system lol), NeoGeo Pocket Color (higher attachment rate, very affordable hardware, and it would be the only flash cart for this console that supports removable storage SD), and well there are those that want Atari 2600 flash cart but why? someone already makes it.  You can't expect that if KRIKzz makes a new 2600 flash cart that it is going to necessarily be any less expensive than the current offering.  What else have I missed here... I can't really think of anything else.

The biggest problem we have with anyone offering an Atari Jaguar flash cart is that a lot of people will express interest but a very small percentage of those people (I'm thinking 1-10%) will actually purchase it.  The rest of these guys (like me) have never even owned, let alone used a Jaguar in real life and plus are not planning to ever purchase one.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 09:10 AM by rocketblast »