Author Topic: the next everdrive?  (Read 327497 times)

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
Re: the next everdrive?
« Reply #720 on: April 12, 2017, 12:47 AM »
A new GB Everdrive? Interesting. What can he add to the  GB Everdrive already? I thought it was already pretty complete.
he could add savestates.

Looks like a whole new model though.  $ out the window.

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: April 18, 2017, 02:46 AM »
A new GB Everdrive? Interesting. What can he add to the  GB Everdrive already? I thought it was already pretty complete.
he could add savestates.
And realtime clock
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline Kroc

• View Profile
« Reply #722 on: April 21, 2017, 09:06 PM »
Also, _much_ lower power-draw if he's using similar parts to the EDGBA. Playing games is fine, but in the menu the power-draw is massive and prevents Gameboy Light and some Gameboy Pockets from working.

I'm hoping for a much improved OS. I would like automatic file sorting and the ability to delete files.

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #723 on: April 21, 2017, 10:13 PM »
Also, _much_ lower power-draw if he's using similar parts to the EDGBA. Playing games is fine, but in the menu the power-draw is massive and prevents Gameboy Light and some Gameboy Pockets from working.

I'm hoping for a much improved OS. I would like automatic file sorting and the ability to delete files.

This caused some argument, but file sorting will no longer be added to everdrives. In fact, I think it will be removed from most existing ones, Krikzz mentioned it has an impact on the everdrive's navigation performance.
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO - MODE - MISTer

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: April 22, 2017, 08:26 AM »

This caused some argument, but file sorting will no longer be added to everdrives. In fact, I think it will be removed from most existing ones, Krikzz mentioned it has an impact on the everdrive's navigation performance.
Really?
Can you link me to the thread where this is discussed?
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #725 on: April 23, 2017, 12:32 AM »

That wouldn't be a popular decision, I and no doubt many other people would hate navigating through various game folders where the games weren't listed alphabetically. But then again, it isn't too difficult for someone to put the files in the right order themselves, to quote from http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=1294.msg41380#msg41380

Lots of hardware devices (such as home media players, portable mp3 players, flash cartridges, etc) don't sort the filenames properly, and instead partially or totally list the files in a folder according to the order they were copied to the USB stick or memory card. To fix this, you can move the files from the USB or SD Card, and then back again, or you can use a utility such as FolderSort which will sort the files into proper order for you automatically.

Note that there's a later version of FolderSort available, but v1.1 seems quicker and does the job properly, so that's the one I use, and you can get it from here:

ftp://ftp.mypcwerks.com/software/Utilities/Misc/FolderSort/

I've used Foldersort for mp3 players, and it's fast and reliable at sorting everything into alphabetical order in folders (it doesn't change the locations of any files, of course, just the order they are listed on the disc), and would work fine for Everdrives that don't support automatic filename sorting, provided the Everdrives use a medium (SD card, etc) that a Windows PC can read.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 12:34 AM by Kerr Avon »

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #726 on: April 26, 2017, 02:14 PM »

That wouldn't be a popular decision, I and no doubt many other people would hate navigating through various game folders where the games weren't listed alphabetically.

Indeed it wasn't, and will continue to be a hot button topic for some. The quote is this one:
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=2944.0
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO - MODE - MISTer

Offline Swift S. Lawliet

• View Profile
« Reply #727 on: May 20, 2017, 07:08 AM »
I have an idea for an Everdrive-DS, it would beat the competing R4 flashcarts for the DS and DSi if it has a CPU like the Supercard DSTWO, as well as if it can play DSiWare ROMs and have full DSi support for DSi enhanced games, as well as support for SD cards with larger capacities.

Even better if it has support for the fancy Slot-2 accessories like the Rumble Pak, Expansion Pak and Game Boy Advance cartridges and has some kind of Everdrive-DS Companion cartridge for original DS and DS Lite systems. The Game Boy Advance ROMs can be either on the Everdrive-DS itself like how the EZ-Flash 3in1 handles it or the Game Boy Advance ROMs can be loaded via an SD card slot on the Everdrive-DS Companion itself.

But if we do the latter, I think we should just do a newer iteration of the Everdrive-GBA instead but this time, with Rumble Pak and Expansion Pak support for DS games that support it when it's plugged into a DS/DS Lite.
It'll still work for the Game Boy Advance but it'll only work as your typical Everdrive when played on a Game Boy Advance, you can also choose to boot the selected ROM by default and the DS will recognize it as that game, this will particularly be useful for GBA - DS connection for games like Pokemon Generation IV (linking for Generation III and the Generation I remakes), Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Harvest Moon DS and Friends of Mineral Town/Harvest Moon DS and More Friends of Mineral Town, etc...

Again, these are just ideas and I am personally hoping for Krikzz to look into my ideas.

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: May 21, 2017, 07:44 PM »
I have an idea for an Everdrive-DS, it would beat the competing R4 flashcarts for the DS and DSi if it has a CPU like the Supercard DSTWO, as well as if it can play DSiWare ROMs and have full DSi support for DSi enhanced games, as well as support for SD cards with larger capacities.

Even better if it has support for the fancy Slot-2 accessories like the Rumble Pak, Expansion Pak and Game Boy Advance cartridges and has some kind of Everdrive-DS Companion cartridge for original DS and DS Lite systems. The Game Boy Advance ROMs can be either on the Everdrive-DS itself like how the EZ-Flash 3in1 handles it or the Game Boy Advance ROMs can be loaded via an SD card slot on the Everdrive-DS Companion itself.

But if we do the latter, I think we should just do a newer iteration of the Everdrive-GBA instead but this time, with Rumble Pak and Expansion Pak support for DS games that support it when it's plugged into a DS/DS Lite.
It'll still work for the Game Boy Advance but it'll only work as your typical Everdrive when played on a Game Boy Advance, you can also choose to boot the selected ROM by default and the DS will recognize it as that game, this will particularly be useful for GBA - DS connection for games like Pokemon Generation IV (linking for Generation III and the Generation I remakes), Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Harvest Moon DS and Friends of Mineral Town/Harvest Moon DS and More Friends of Mineral Town, etc...

Again, these are just ideas and I am personally hoping for Krikzz to look into my ideas.
Mmmmm... for this wait at least 10 more years for the DS to become "retro" and the current DS flashcarts have all disappeared.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline Great Hierophant

• View Profile
« Reply #729 on: June 30, 2017, 10:57 PM »
After the new Gameboy EverDrives, I am seeing two systems that could really use some love, the Master System and the Game Gear.  They could be updated for more modern features, such as :

SRAM instead of flash for instant game loading
Battery backed memory (no need to press reset to save battery backed games like Phantasy Star)
Save state support
YM-2413 support via socket
Configurable FPGA for more exotic mapper support

Then perhaps the EverDrive N8 could be revised with :

Support for 2MB PRG-ROM and 2MB CHR-ROM
Audio amplifier with programmable filter

And finally an EverDrive GBA X7 with save state support.

Check Out My Vintage Video Game & Computing Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Offline Captain N

• View Profile
« Reply #730 on: July 17, 2017, 01:54 PM »
Does anyone know what is technically feasable with the cartridge slot on the Sega Saturn?
Would it in any way be possible to run full Saturn games through it if it had enough storage?

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: July 17, 2017, 11:23 PM »
Does anyone know what is technically feasable with the cartridge slot on the Sega Saturn?
Would it in any way be possible to run full Saturn games through it if it had enough storage?
I've heard it's possible to run software but it has to be very small in size.
The VCD expansion port is capable of running games, look up Satisfier by Professor Abrasive. (Still work in progress)
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline ReWrite

• View Profile
« Reply #732 on: July 26, 2017, 05:09 AM »

My Gameboy Light has no issues working just dandy with the current EDGB.

Offline Laz

• View Profile
« Reply #733 on: August 23, 2017, 10:31 PM »

Mmmmm... for this wait at least 10 more years for the DS to become "retro" and the current DS flashcarts have all disappeared.

And I bet Krikzz could make the thing do SNES emulation properly. Damn DSTwo just won't run any SNES emulator smoothly enough to play. I paid through the arse for it compared to an R4 etc. just to have that ability and it's useless regardless of how much I configure it fiddle. 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 10:32 PM by Laz »
biokrik
@ruffisgreat sure, expansion pack not need, also you not need ac adapter and joypad, with ed64 you can control the game by the mind, like jedi. you even not need n64 deck (:

Offline eldontyrell

• View Profile
« Reply #734 on: August 24, 2017, 03:31 PM »
I was just talking about this when I did my YouTube video on my new backlit Neo-Geo Pocket a Color and Flash Masta cart.

I'd love to see Krikzz do an Everdrive for the Neo-Geo Pocket Color. It may be a hard sell for him though as it only had maybe 80-90 games released for it. But still, it's a community worth selling to as there were a LOT of good, but expensive games made for that system.

I know Flash Masta also makes one for the Wonderswan, but to me, the only reason to own one is for the Final Fantasy games, but those are also on the GBA which does have an Everdrive.

An everdrive for the neo geo pocket color would be cool, indeed !

Where did you buy the backlit screen ?
Any tutorial ?

Thanks

Stephane