Author Topic: the next everdrive?  (Read 327777 times)

Offline zstandig

• View Profile
Re: the next everdrive?
« Reply #210 on: June 22, 2014, 04:39 AM »
All cartridge based systems with a significant fan-base have been covered, the 2600, 5200, Colecovision, and I think the Intellivision (Hell, even the Vectrex has one)have all been covered. The 7800 and Jaguar don't have anything, but their user-base is tiny so potential sales are also tiny. I mean realistically how many of those consoles are hooked up, functional, and have owners that want to play them? There weren't that many sold to begin with.

Most of the popular 8-16 bit pre IBM/Wintel dominance home computers have solutions as far as I know.

Handhelds, I'm pretty sure the Virtualboy, Wonderswan, and NeoGeo Pocket have solutions, but I don't think the Lynx does...but while it was an interesting handheld from a historic perspective (and equal-rights for left handedness) it was not a hit by any means. I can't imagine that many units still working without an LED screen mod.

Realistically I'd say if Krikzz is interested in making another flash cartridge, the GBA would be the best bet. It has a huge library, and many units are out there, and still functional. A large amount of hardware is capable of playing GBA games (3 models of GBA, 2 models of DS, GB players on GCN, then there was that portable DVD player...) So, yeah big base, big sales. 

Offline wilykat

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 22, 2014, 04:52 AM »
There are already a number of SD based adapter for C64 including cheap SD2IEC to http://www.1541ultimate.net/content/index.php The more expensive Ultimate does a real 1541 and is compatible with dang near every disk. Cheaper SD2IEC works with more than half of the disks.  There are also flash cart for cart games.

I think the market's well covered on C64 (and 128) and Everdrive would be competing with too many devices.

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 22, 2014, 11:18 AM »
The Lynx has its own flashcard too, can be found at atariage.

Offline kmksoulja

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 23, 2014, 05:55 AM »
Realistically I'd say if Krikzz is interested in making another flash cartridge, the GBA would be the best bet. It has a huge library, and many units are out there, and still functional. A large amount of hardware is capable of playing GBA games (3 models of GBA, 2 models of DS, GB players on GCN, then there was that portable DVD player...) So, yeah big base, big sales.

I never heard of that dvd player until you mentioned that and i had to google it. I seen they can be had for about $40 brand new on ebay.

I wonder if they play gameboy/gameboy color games and if they do, I wonder if the Everdrive GB would work in it.

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 23, 2014, 08:01 AM »
Do you have a link for those please ?
last time i looked for this item, it was pretty hard to find.

Offline kmksoulja

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 23, 2014, 09:33 AM »
nevermind i found out that i was looking at just a book about it!! lol

thats retarded. anyway i'm still curious if it would work with the everdrive gb

Offline relo999

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 23, 2014, 05:13 PM »
I think the Colecovision one could be made a lot cheaper, and maybe similar for the C64.

And I don't think a GBA version wouldn't be profitable unless he can make it even cheaper than the 35 euro EZ flash, as there isn't much to do better than that. This is because it already supports up to 2GB (and from what I've heard 4GB with some SD cards) which is enough for all popular games and more so having more memory is only a minor improvement, not using Mini SD is also an improvement but again not a big one and it having multiple save slots for the not even hand full of large ROMs which is again not a big improvement.

There are enough consoles with worse flash carts that don't get the love.

Offline wilykat

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 23, 2014, 09:30 PM »
There are console with NO flash drive: Microvision.  It'd be a bitch to make one working since Microvision has weird design. CPU are on the cart rather than on the mainboard so CPU would have to be emulated in the flash drive. ROM are stored inside the CPU and can't be dumped like other carts so no official dump exists.

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 24, 2014, 07:57 AM »
Just because:
GX4000 everdrive.

All info needed available here:
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/GX4000_cartridge
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/ACID

Now remember there are only 26 official cartridge released, and they all are 128K.

This likely sold even less than Jaguar.

I built my own replaceable multi EPROM, the default carts have a 27C1001 onboard, I replaced it with a ZIF socket
and a 27C801 (which can be used as 8 128K banks). So with 3 EPROMs I was basically done.
I really only put 23 games [I didn't bother with the 2 light gun, and the mythical Chase HQ 2 proto was never dumped].

Nonetheless, Krikzz may be able to wip something out in 1 week-end with full support for 64K to 512K (it's literally just links open/close) and a replacement ACID in the CPLD.

Not that a GX4000 everdrive is ever going to happen ;-).

Regarding the Jaguar this part is interesting (the technical manual):
http://www.hillsoftware.com/files/atari/jaguar/jag_v8.pdf
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 07:58 AM by phoenixdownita »

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 24, 2014, 08:06 AM »
About your GX4000 "flashcard", do you have some kind of "how to" notes please ?

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 24, 2014, 09:12 AM »
About your GX4000 "flashcard", do you have some kind of "how to" notes please ?

No flash card at all, but I published something here:
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/224038-multicarts-suggestions/page-3#entry3015347

I initiated the whole thread as i was making my own 7800 multi cards, again no flash, I am not that good, I cannot design a PCB, cannot program a CPLD, even less an FPGA, I wouldn't know how to interface an FTDI USB IC with the rest .... but I know how to cut trace, rewire, put pull ups and so on.

In any case about the GX4000 all I did was remove the EPROM, cut the traces around pin 32 (VCC), desolder LK1 [wire VCC to LK1 up via], mount a pin-header on the back, then simply solder a pcb on it and wire 29 signals as needed, I used simple dip switches with pull up to control the remaining 3 pins A17/A18/A19 [pins 30,31 and 1].
My EPROM is a 27C801 as such a 10k ohm pull up work just fine.

Anyway an inspirational project can be found here:
http://www.cpcmania.com/Docs/GX4000/GX4000.htm

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 28, 2014, 06:14 PM »
Just because:
GX4000 everdrive.

I never saw one of these, but I did read about it in Retro Gamer (British retro-gaming magazine). Were any of it's games any good (I can't remember what I read about it, I'll try to dig out the RG issue).

The Amstrad CPC range were very good, but sadly too many of the games were poor ports from the Spectrum version of the game, with little effort made to adequately maintain the feel (or even the look) of the game. But games like Get Dexter and Prehistorik 2 really showed what the CPC could do. Plus isometric games (Head Over Heels, Fairlight, etc) often were best on the CPC (compared to the Spectrum and Commodore 64, the CPC's two main rivals) because the four colour high resolution graphics looked fantastic (whereas the Spectrum was limited to two colours in most of these games, and the C64 used a lower resolution in those games).

The main problem with the CPC was that there were few good games written first (or solely) for the machine, and as we all know, many of the best games on any system are those written specially for that system. Ports are often very bad, and the CPC's library consisted mainly of ports, and many of those were less than good.

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 29, 2014, 01:22 AM »
Just because:
GX4000 everdrive.

I never saw one of these, but I did read about it in Retro Gamer (British retro-gaming magazine). Were any of it's games any good (I can't remember what I read about it, I'll try to dig out the RG issue).

Loaded question.

There are only 26 known games, and 1 is a never dumped prototype (Chase HQ 2), I would point you here:
http://gx4000.co.uk/gamebase/
Click on a game icon, scroll the central view and there's an honest little review.

I was just curious as hell, my experience with 8 bits is not too good in general, although I ended up spending tons of time on them (fabricating multis etc... as there's no real flash solution for some, like 7800).

Anyway regarding GX4000 I read that it was relatively easy to make your own multi, I found the roms, they all were 128K (same size so even easier), found out originally they were EPROM based anyway, then finally found it relatively cheap from the UK (like 20GBP + 21GBP shipping) so I took the plunge.

Was it worthy? ..... they never really are, it's more to keep us busy anyway.
Was it fun? ..... absolutely
Was it divorce-worthy? ...... nahhhh
Would you recommend it? If you have a way to fabricate a multi and ran out of other system to chase down then sure, the games are hard to come by and not that cheap.

Offline J-E

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 10, 2014, 08:04 PM »
everdrive for Atari lynx and why not for the dreamcast to replace the GD-ROM...

Offline KalessinDB

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 11, 2014, 02:48 AM »
GDEMU is already out for a Dreamcast GD-ROM replacement, and while it's not quite Everdrive quality, it works great (I have one).

I'm not sure of the quality of the Lynx flash cart, I don't have that particular one.
Attempting a complete NTSC-U NES set.  Sell me your games!
What I've Got.  253/677 licensed games, 39/95 unlicensed games (drawing # from NA's "semi-official" list