Author Topic: the next everdrive?  (Read 274204 times)

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile
Re: the next everdrive?
« Reply #225 on: July 11, 2014, 08:11 AM »
GDEMU has not the whole functionnality we could expect for an ODE, but it's a good start :)
The Lynx fkashcard is a good item, flashing the game can be a little complicated.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 11, 2014, 02:43 PM »

GX4000 everdrive. ... This likely sold even less than Jaguar. ...

According to Retro Gamer, only 15,000 of these consoles were ever sold. Which, on the plus side, makes it a real collector's item for people who really value rarity (a lot of hardcore collectors do, though I don't see how something being rare automatically makes an item more desirable, myself).

And since (as Retro Gamer said) the console is basically an Amstrad CPC with extra hardware (sprites, scrolling, etc), then if an Everdrive or similar was released for it, it could open up the door for homebrew. Granted, all Everdrives do this for their respective machines anyway, but the CPC is a Z80 based machine, and the Z80 is a very well known and easy to program CPU, being used in lots of different machines, such as the ZX81, ZX Spectrum, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, Game Gear, Sega Master System, and even some early arcade games. There are tons on finformation about the Z80 on the 'net, and since the CPC was so relatively popular, there are all sorts of programming utilities for it, and people who have progammed on it, making it (and so the GX4000) a much more likely candidate for homebrew than the relatively much less well understood (from the point of view of an amateur coder) consoles that the Evrdrives support.

Offline KalessinDB

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 11, 2014, 02:50 PM »
GDEMU has not the whole functionnality we could expect for an ODE, but it's a good start :)
The Lynx fkashcard is a good item, flashing the game can be a little complicated.

Not sure what you're lamenting the lack of.  It could use a menu, but that's not really functionality, it's just a bonus in my eyes.  I could see someone else disagreeing though.  Anything else that's missing?  I'll admit I haven't monkeyed around with it TOO much just yet.  Too many systems, not enough time to play with them all :)
Attempting a complete NTSC-U NES set.  Sell me your games!
What I've Got.  253/677 licensed games, 39/95 unlicensed games (drawing # from NA's "semi-official" list

Offline DBloke

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 11, 2014, 03:53 PM »

GX4000 everdrive. ... This likely sold even less than Jaguar. ...

According to Retro Gamer, only 15,000 of these consoles were ever sold. Which, on the plus side, makes it a real collector's item for people who really value rarity (a lot of hardcore collectors do, though I don't see how something being rare automatically makes an item more desirable, myself).

And since (as Retro Gamer said) the console is basically an Amstrad CPC with extra hardware (sprites, scrolling, etc), then if an Everdrive or similar was released for it, it could open up the door for homebrew. Granted, all Everdrives do this for their respective machines anyway, but the CPC is a Z80 based machine, and the Z80 is a very well known and easy to program CPU, being used in lots of different machines, such as the ZX81, ZX Spectrum, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, Game Gear, Sega Master System, and even some early arcade games. There are tons on finformation about the Z80 on the 'net, and since the CPC was so relatively popular, there are all sorts of programming utilities for it, and people who have progammed on it, making it (and so the GX4000) a much more likely candidate for homebrew than the relatively much less well understood (from the point of view of an amateur coder) consoles that the Evrdrives support.
You know the irnoic thing about it, they also realesed a computer version of the GX4000.

The games for the GX are bloody expensive and mostly cack
TNOG.ORG - Games nights in Manchester - https://www.youtube.com/user/Darkprinny

Offline magnus87

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 04, 2014, 03:39 AM »
I really want a NEW Master Everdrive with FM   :D

Check this!

Maybe not with YM2413 FM Synthesis Chip but  yes with the slot for it

Offline djpannda

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 04, 2014, 03:53 AM »
whatever it is.. i want it !!

Offline KalessinDB

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 05, 2014, 11:53 PM »
The price you'd pay for one, you could probably just mod your SMS for FM sound with one of Viletim's kits.
What I've Got.  253/677 licensed games, 39/95 unlicensed games (drawing # from NA's "semi-official" list

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 06, 2014, 09:37 AM »
Not counting the fact that SMS does not have pass thru audio pins, even Tim SMSFM board requires to solder on the board to actually do audio mixing and the like.

So what really should happen is an FM equipped board for either MegaED or EverdriveMD ... MegaED supposedly has enough juice left to be able to emulate it in FPGA but after 2Y+ I am not holding my breath, a socket based solution wouldn't be half as bad at this point .... so told is not that the FM makes the games play like a symphonic orchestra ... they are slightly better but nothing mind blowing ... I do have both a Jap SMS and an US SMS + Tim SMSFM 2.0 ... in hindsight not a necessary upgrade although I think Tim's work is outstanding.

Offline pckid

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 25, 2014, 05:35 PM »
The Fm Sound power bas converter ! update 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgm-sbANHfI

Offline KalessinDB

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 26, 2014, 11:00 AM »
Considering that post is nearly 2 years old, with no updates in over a year, and I've never heard a mention of it on Neo-Geo.com (where they DO occasionally bemoan the lack of an Everdrive, and loathe the French)... I'm skeptical.

Would love to see it happen, but skeptical.

Offline fabio_rosendo

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 13, 2014, 07:21 PM »
If KRIKzz want, i send to him one of my Neo Geo AES Cartridge to use for an Everdrive AES Prototype.
I have two AES games that i barely play, Art of Fighting 2 and Fatal Fury Special.
Most of the time, i play with my friends KOF 95 and Samurai Shodown 2.  ;)

Offline TheNeck

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 16, 2014, 08:11 AM »
whichever system krikzz does next i can't wait. ;)

i just learned about everdrives a month or 2 ago, and i already have 4 of them(N8,ED64,EDMD,TED) :D

keep up the AWESOME job krikzz!

Offline TheRetromancer

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 16, 2014, 07:26 PM »
If KRIKzz want, i send to him one of my Neo Geo AES Cartridge to use for an Everdrive AES Prototype.
I have two AES games that i barely play, Art of Fighting 2 and Fatal Fury Special.
Most of the time, i play with my friends KOF 95 and Samurai Shodown 2.  ;)

Krikzz has stated several times that an AES cartridge is technically possible, but that he has no intention of doing it.  The fact that the NEO GEO has TWO PCBs in it, not to mention the fact that the AES carts have 240 contacts to contend with, would make this theoretical NEO Everdrive cost-prohibitive to an insane degree - I seem to recall Krikzz theorising a cost in the $1000 USD range.
Code is sacred to programmers - Krikzz' stuff is the holy grail.  It's literally like asking if you can stick your finger up the Pope's arse.

The best way to learn is to ask questions.  Remember, there are no stupid questions - only stupid people, and stupid people DON'T ASK QUESTIONS.

Offline KalessinDB

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 16, 2014, 10:47 PM »
I seem to recall Krikzz theorising a cost in the $1000 USD range.

So.. the cost of 1 of the more expensive AES games out there then?  (Not joking, look up Metal Slug prices for the AES, it's obscene)