Author Topic: the next everdrive?  (Read 343387 times)

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
Re: atari jaguar everdrive
« Reply #360 on: November 12, 2014, 03:34 PM »
i think there are more than two people interested in purchasing a jag cart but the topic seems to have become a no no on the forum, i guess dvd2vcd pushed it a little too much lol.
 tbh i don't know how well a jag cart would sell, realistically sales would probably be low to modest. it really all depends on whether krikzz would take on the project knowing it ain't going to be a great money maker. personally i hope krikzz makes a jag cart but maybe thats more for selfish reasons.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 03:37 PM by butfluffy »

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
  • So many games, too little time
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
« Reply #361 on: November 12, 2014, 03:36 PM »
If there were a good jag flash cart, I'd probably finally get one. I never had a jag growing up but always wanted to try it.
2600-Harmony Encore; NES-PowerPak, EverDrive N8; GB-EverDrive GB v1; SNES-Super ED v1, SD2SNES; GEN-Mega ED v1; N64-ED64 v2; NGPC-Bung 32Mb, NeoFlashMasta, NeoFlashMasta USB, NGP SD; GBA-EZ-Flash II 256Mb, EZ-Flash IV Redux, ED GBA X5; NDS-R4

Offline brooksyx

• View Profile
Re: the next everdrive?
« Reply #362 on: November 12, 2014, 04:18 PM »
After seeing the GBA everdrive tweet, I wonder if the cartridge will support SDRAM, and if so, will it support 32MB (256 megabit)? Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories is the largest game on the GBA and is the only game that has a ROM size that large, since the game uses compressed FMV.

Isn't Mother 3 also that big? Maybe just the translated version.
NES - EDN8 | SNES - Super ED | Genesis ED-MD | Gameboy - EDGB | N64  - ED64 | Game Geear - Everdrive GG | GBA - EZ-Flash IV| Gamecube - XenoGC & EZ Flash IV | NDSL - R4 wood & EZ Flash 3in1

Offline TeamShake

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 12, 2014, 06:03 PM »
The skunk board isn't that bad.  It can only hold 2 roms at a time and there are a couple games that it won't run (raiden and battlesphere gold). But it really wasn't designed to be a flashcart.
Someone on ebay sells multicarts that works with eeproms also. That cart runs everthing afaik and also saves. It's a bit more of a pain though as you need a programmer.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=181578097299
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 06:09 PM by TeamShake »

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 12, 2014, 09:20 PM »
The skunk board isn't that bad.  It can only hold 2 roms at a time and there are a couple games that it won't run (raiden and battlesphere gold). But it really wasn't designed to be a flashcart.
Someone on ebay sells multicarts that works with eeproms also. That cart runs everthing afaik and also saves. It's a bit more of a pain though as you need a programmer.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=181578097299

this is the problem that most of us casual gamers have with jaguar flash carts in general. there just is no easy plug and play flashcart available for this system. the skunkboard seems to be the best of a bad bunch but it has it's drawbacks.

1. it's a pain to load roms onto it.
2  it only holds two roms roms at a time (i had forgotten and thought it was one only one rom at a time).
3. it's deliberately incompatible with some homebrew games (even though those games are old now but maybe still sold i don't know).
4. it does not support eeprom saves for the few games which supported eeprom saving.

i was about to purchase a skunkboard a while back on the second run i think it was. there was one available all i had to do was pay and it was mine, but i had not done much research and i decided just to read a bit about the cart before purchase. after reading the above mentioned drawbacks i changed my mind and decided not to buy it.

just a decent functioning flash cart with simple menu and sd card and eeprom save support is whats required, don't matter who makes it, just so long as it's more in line with modern ease of use flashcarts everyone can enjoy. i would prefer krikzz to make a cart above anyone else because we know the guy makes quality products and his product support is second to none but i would be happy to buy any cart made by anyone so long as it has better functionality than whats currently available.
 whether people believe the console is not worth investing time into and a pile of steaming dog crap is irrelevant, i'm sure most jag owners would appreciate a decent cart and upgrade from skunkboards and alpine carts. even if the user base is rather small.
 i just wish someone would make something decent and noob friendly. my interest in the jag is more so because i'm a bit of a gaming collector and not because i think the system is awesome or anything, i own about 20 or so jag games ranging from very good to dog crappy but oh well it's all fun and gaming history :)

« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 09:25 PM by butfluffy »

Offline fille1976

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 12, 2014, 09:37 PM »
im also intrested in jag flashcard,but if krikzz not making one,it be so.
just need his gg everdrive,then i have them all.
great cards and really happy im having these,its so easy to use them.

Offline Chilly Willy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 12, 2014, 10:12 PM »
I bought one of the SillyVenture run of Skunkboards. It's a pretty limited flash cart. What I'd love to see on the Jaguar would be a cart like Mega Everdrive MD - have an FPGA with 16 or 32 MBytes of ram with SD and USB. Have a mode like the extended ssf mode where all the ram could be accessed (in banks). Have the FPGA hook to the I2S bus on the cart port and you'd be able to make a replacement CDROM - all the Jaguar CD does is stream raw data from the CD across the I2S bus. They don't decode the data, which is why Jaguar CDs hold more data, but are also more prone to errors.

That's my wish list for a Jaguar ED. I'm patient... we've gotten all kinds of good EDs from KRIKzz so far. Until then, I'll make do with the Skunkboard.

Offline Fmamarksman

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 12, 2014, 10:51 PM »
Talk about dead thread revival. That dvd2vcd guy has over 1,000 posts and this was his first.
"Father of the four winds fill my sails, cross the sea of years. With no provision, but an open face along the straits of fear."

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
  • So many games, too little time
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
« Reply #368 on: November 12, 2014, 11:56 PM »
Talk about dead thread revival. That dvd2vcd guy has over 1,000 posts and this was his first.
No kidding - I didn't even realize it.

Way to go, sevgames :P
2600-Harmony Encore; NES-PowerPak, EverDrive N8; GB-EverDrive GB v1; SNES-Super ED v1, SD2SNES; GEN-Mega ED v1; N64-ED64 v2; NGPC-Bung 32Mb, NeoFlashMasta, NeoFlashMasta USB, NGP SD; GBA-EZ-Flash II 256Mb, EZ-Flash IV Redux, ED GBA X5; NDS-R4

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 13, 2014, 05:08 AM »
even though dvd2vcd took some flac for his persistence, one way or another the subject/request does seem to keep popping up from time to time lol.

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 13, 2014, 06:11 AM »
Ugh, stop necro-bumping. The thread was over 2 years old, and here it is again.

Just...stop.

Offline fabio_rosendo

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 14, 2014, 07:13 PM »
The NEC CD is a flip top, so you couldn't change discs without removing the Genesis. I'd guess that's just a size comparison thing... showing you could stick a complete CD system into less the half the space the SegaCD takes.

And the image of the Genesis is just showing him probing the expansion port with an oscilloscope. There's nothing else going on there to make guess about why he's doing it.

At most you could guess he's thinking about putting a modern CD into the SegaCD case (possibly under the Genesis instead of beside it), which would then need a patched CD BIOS to control.
I dont find a replacement "Optima 5" lens for my American Sega CD Model 1 with JVC Drive.
He's stop working years ago, and i'm waiting for a solution.  :'(
A replacement Drive with a modern one, or a HD Attachment for put the Sega CD ISO's, or something like that.
I think krikzz will made a great surprise.

Offline fille1976

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 14, 2014, 08:33 PM »
maybe deunan,creator of gdemu will make one for sega cd in the future,he playing with it,read it on his website.
so i pray he will make one,or krikzz.

Offline Ahuch

• View Profile
Re: R: Re: the next everdrive?
« Reply #373 on: November 20, 2014, 05:49 AM »
First the pic with the gba and then these.. I'm going mad with all this hype!! Please krikzz let us know more and let me buy your new products soon!!!

Excited for GBA :D

Offline Retrografx

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 22, 2014, 06:50 PM »
Granted the Jaguar was a terrible gamble by Atari, the machine had tons of promise and potential was even stronger but never utilized. The marketing and design of the accessories specifically the controller was not terrible but not very well screened or implemented with customers expectations in mind, and a very limited variety of game lists, and lack of third party support doomed the system and ultimately the company to fail.

I'm not a huge fan of the jaguar, infact I only own 7 games, not worth mentioning which ones. but the system works and plays well.

I for one would love to see a Jaguar Everdrive created. As everything that Krikzz has created is the best, he leaves the competition scratching there heads. I think that someday his competition will be knocking on his door asking him to work for them, if they haven't already.

in the end there is a lot of potential for a Jaguar EverDrive. I would get one right away. though would it be cost effective for Krikzz, he's the one creating these masterpieces for us, it should be worth his time and energy to create something new.

Thank you Krikzz for everything you have done for the gaming community. I own a MasterED, EDN8, TurboED, SuperED, and MegaED. they are all great products, a true legacy to the systems they were created for.