Author Topic: the next everdrive?  (Read 335972 times)

Offline rocketblast

• View Profile
Re: atari jaguar everdrive
« Reply #375 on: December 19, 2014, 08:35 PM »
He probably isn't going to make one because he knows it won't sell.

Look what happened with the skunkboard.  People backed out of preorders because the console is so terrible.   I was actually one that was late to preorder and was offered the preorder and couldn't make up my mind so I just stopped going to the forum skunkboard was being displayed on.

It is good to see KRIKzz make flash carts for every system but I believe he has to be interested in the system to a certain extent in order to build for it.

Personally I would rather see him make a flash cart for neogeo pocket color because nobody is making one with an SD slot.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 08:37 PM by rocketblast »

Online butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 19, 2014, 11:00 PM »
well i almost ordered a skunkboard a few years back and backed out when i discovered that it was a pain to use and could only hold 1 or two roms at a time and had no eeprom save support. i almost ordered before doing enough research and decided against it when i discovered how limited it was. it also blocks certain homebrew games which are old now which for me was another minus for the product.
 i'm not saying that a jaguar flashcart would sell well by any means cos i think the sales would be modest at best but i would not go by skunkboard sales and lack of enthusiasm for that product.
 the fact is that most people think the skunkboard is rather poor by modern flashcart standards and some people just didn't buy one for the same reasons i chose not to.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 01:48 AM by butfluffy »

Offline DBloke

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 20, 2014, 12:04 AM »
Look what happened with the skunkboard.  People backed out of preorders because the console is so terrible.
No they backed out because the Sunkboard is cack.
The Jag isnt terrible, its just average,

For terrible try the 5200, Acetronic or PS4/Xbox1

It wont be a mega seller, but then nether will the Neogeo one due to price
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 12:09 AM by DBloke »
TNOG.ORG - Games nights in Manchester - https://www.youtube.com/user/Darkprinny

Offline rocketblast

• View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 20, 2014, 09:02 AM »
Look what happened with the skunkboard.  People backed out of preorders because the console is so terrible.
No they backed out because the Sunkboard is cack.
The Jag isnt terrible, its just average,

For terrible try the 5200, Acetronic or PS4/Xbox1

It wont be a mega seller, but then nether will the Neogeo one due to price

haha ps4/xbox1 I haven't looked into those two consoles, what is going on with em?  Just the other day someone I was chatting with was telling me to buy one.  I was like what for? he said GTA V.. gta V? isn't this game on xbox360 already and it is coming out on pc? what is the point.  plus, who cares about GTA not me.

Anyway I am thinking about buying some ngpc games since there's no decent flash cart just so I have something more to do on my console.  Nobody's ever going to make a decent flash cart for it.  Flavor's flash cart is too expensive for a cart that doesn't even support an SD card imho.  I would like to have all the games in a menu.

As far as Jaguar being average, how so?  It only has one game people talk about which is also on PC already.. tempest.  who cares about this game?  I have had it for ages on PC and it is nothing on Jaguar to speak of due to the fact that all of us are using PCs to connect to this forum so all of us can play it lol.  So yeah it has atari karts, doom (does this game even count? no.), aliens vs predator, and ..... well.. that is about it because checkered flag I heard is a horrible game as are most others I can think of off the top of my head usually.  atari karts at least looks like something.  I have only tried it in the emulator which doesn't work very well from what I remember.

man the jaguar....ohh man... I remember those little magazine booklets you get in the mail, you know the ones with star trek costumes, blackhead removers, cheap teddies / lingerie for women, yeah those little magazines.. they used to sell the jaguar and some games in it.  lol.

what I thought was more cool was the Atari Lynx.  I forgot if anyone discussed a flash cart for the Lynx.  The screen on those old color systems are nothing short of unbearably garbage but some of the games were kinda neat.

Offline KalessinDB

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 20, 2014, 10:09 AM »
Lynx flashcart is in development, there's a thread on AtariAge forums by a guy named SainT... he's making progress (and posting about it) relatively frequently.
Attempting a complete NTSC-U NES set.  Sell me your games!
What I've Got.  253/677 licensed games, 39/95 unlicensed games (drawing # from NA's "semi-official" list

Offline DBloke

• View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 20, 2014, 11:37 AM »

haha ps4/xbox1 I haven't looked into those two consoles, what is going on with em?  Just the other day someone I was chatting with was telling me to buy one.  I was like what for? he said GTA V.. gta V? isn't this game on xbox360 already and it is coming out on pc? what is the point.  plus, who cares about GTA not me.

That only thing going on is lack of exclusives of note, DLC on everything (announced while the games being made) and lots of buggy unfinished games, also games that need a day one download
Well bar SF5, but that aint out for a while.

Think quite a few people care about GTA5V (look at the box, thats what its called)

Anyway I am thinking about buying some ngpc games since there's no decent flash cart just so I have something more to do on my console.  Nobody's ever going to make a decent flash cart for it.  Flavor's flash cart is too expensive for a cart that doesn't even support an SD card imho.  I would like to have all the games in a menu.

if you value your wallet dont
I was lucky to get almost all the games I want when everywhere was getting rid

As far as Jaguar being average, how so?  It only has one game people talk about which is also on PC already.. tempest.  who cares about this game?  I have had it for ages on PC and it is nothing on Jaguar to speak of due to the fact that all of us are using PCs to connect to this forum so all of us can play it lol.  So yeah it has atari karts, doom (does this game even count? no.), aliens vs predator, and ..... well.. that is about it because checkered flag I heard is a horrible game as are most others I can think of off the top of my head usually.  atari karts at least looks like something.  I have only tried it in the emulator which doesn't work very well from what I remember.
Cant the same be said about almost all retro consoles?
Emulators for it are a bit rubbish
Lots of homebrew
man the jaguar....ohh man... I remember those little magazine booklets you get in the mail, you know the ones with star trek costumes, blackhead removers, cheap teddies / lingerie for women, yeah those little magazines.. they used to sell the jaguar and some games in it.  lol.
And every other console
what I thought was more cool was the Atari Lynx.  I forgot if anyone discussed a flash cart for the Lynx.  The screen on those old color systems are nothing short of unbearably garbage but some of the games were kinda neat.
Theres a few bobbing about

Offline rocketblast

• View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 20, 2014, 12:24 PM »
A lot of emulators are great which is why I never bothered buying certain systems such as neogeo, turbo grafix 16, and even the NES.  the emulators just played the games fine and I played the crap out of em.  You can't really compare a jag emulator to a system that has been worked on and perfected in emulation over and over such as nes, tg16, any sega cart based console, coleco, 2600 and on from there.  The Jaguar stuff took longer to come out and I imagine it still needs some work.  It would be cool to be able to fully emulate it on a PC because then everyone who ever wanted to check out the games could and you wouldn't need to wait for a flash cart to get released again (or hope that someone doesn't think the system is an entire waste of time and effort, which I am uncertain is the case with KRIKzz so I'm not implying that but it could be :) ).

There are certain systems I prefer to use the original console and some consoles I actually own I would rather play on emulator, or at least some of the time.  Sega genesis is one I would prefer on emulator as the actual hardware is clunky and junky.  But the caveat with playing genesis on an emulator is 32x is only emulated on x86.  But I wouldn't spend over $100 on a 32x add on anyway.  I do own a flash cart for the genesis but I prefer not to use it when I have a Wii plugged into the same TV set.

Hm well KRIKzz NES flash cart is beyond awesome but I played so much nesticle back in the day and the emulators on dreamcast and such that I'm uncertain if I'm ever going to get an actual NES again.

NGPC games, last I checked, most of them were pretty cheap unless you are looking for some of the more rare imports (which probably aren't even rare at all..)  I just bought gal's fighters and it was cheap and pretty fun, nice graphics and smooth gameplay.

Anyway hopefully the next system KRIKzz does, if he does more, is something cool.  There's Flavor working on wonderswan color (who owns one, beats me) and not sure if KRIKzz is making more stuff.  At least KRIKzz gave us a good sd2snes and a really decent NES flash cart among all the other stuff he made.  Plus his N64 flash carts are incredible.  Talking about Jaguar, 64-bit on N64 is quite decent and there's more than a baker's dozen of games that were great on the N64.  I can think and list out 20 games usually off the top of my head so there's probably a bunch more.  Nobody can list that many good titles for Jaguar lol.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 12:29 PM by rocketblast »

Offline DBloke

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 20, 2014, 12:47 PM »
 Cart only games for NGPC are really cheap, boxed on the other hand
I once owned a Wonder swan for about a week, its not very English friendly

I tend to not like emulating as it feels off

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 20, 2014, 07:29 PM »
Console emulation has no soul...ever...

I would rather get KRIKzz devices when it comes to "cult" following consoles like the NGPC and Wonderswan, but if he doesn't plan on making something like that, I may just go with Flavor's flash cards. I'm really hoping (kinda) for a Virtual Boy ED...and before anyone argues about it, yes, I know the Flashboy is available and yes, there is a decent amount of homebrew still being worked on, and it seems even stronger than the Jags.

There is a device that may/will resurrect my old Doctor GB card, but I haven't heard any more development on it.

Offline rocketblast

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 20, 2014, 09:06 PM »
Console emulation has no soul...ever...

This is opinion, not fact.  Most of the NES gaming I did had enough nostalgia and soul.  True that I won't play certain systems (much) on emulators but still, this is just opinion and not fact.  I would emulate SNES however on a handheld for certain games.  The games I pick work perfectly fine on a PSP emulator.

I could understand where you are coming from if you stated "console emulation on a touch screen has no soul ever" because on my android tablet I don't have a bluetooth controller for it and emulated games feel very clunky and akward on it.  Compatibility is "iffy".  N64 plays fine on my evga tegra though but it still needs a controller.  This is one thing I don't like about some emulators is the amount of configuring and tinkering you have to do to get the games to operate the way you want them to.  Otherwise it is fine.  A lot of stuff works fine.  Plus are you really going to find a flash cart for an AES/MVS and start gaming right now? try. 

People that post comments like this typically hide a collection of NeoGeo ROMs and typically a large hoard of MAME to boot.

I would rather get KRIKzz devices when it comes to "cult" following consoles like the NGPC and Wonderswan, but if he doesn't plan on making something like that, I may just go with Flavor's flash cards. I'm really hoping (kinda) for a Virtual Boy ED...and before anyone argues about it, yes, I know the Flashboy is available and yes, there is a decent amount of homebrew still being worked on, and it seems even stronger than the Jags.

Well I never looked at nor was interested in wonderswan.  They were late with color and I never saw them selling this console in the states.  Basing building a flash cart for it off of opinions from a web survey is a bad idea.  People will tell a flash cart developer to build everything under the sun.  Will they say build it? yes.  Will they buy it? hell no.

There is a device that may/will resurrect my old Doctor GB card, but I haven't heard any more development on it.

I wish there was a decent USB programmer for all the old MGD3 and Flash2Advance stuff.  I do own the USB programmer for the F2A but it was difficult to operate.  I think it had to be used in windows xp and the drivers were fidgety to install so I gave up on it.  I still own all of my old bung handheld flash carts.  They were the only products Bung ever made that weren't pure shit. (doctor v64, v64 jr, all the snes copiers they made were made with inferior parts no matter what anyone tells you, they are crap.  I sold all of my bung stuff years ago because it still worked and there's always someone that wants it.  Nothing beats a Front FarEast product and there were no good N64 copiers made until 3 different teams made flash carts for it).

Offline rocketblast

• View Profile
Re: the next everdrive?
« Reply #385 on: December 20, 2014, 09:15 PM »
aes probably possible, but huge R&D cost + huge components cost + very small market = damn expensive toy

I'd buy one 8)

There is another flash cart manufacturer that is "looking into the feasability of" this product and they will probably end up with the same result.  I am no expert so don't quote me on this but as far as I know, this project would require more bank switching than your typical stuff that we have been able to purchase so far for other systems and the bigger games had multiple big EEPROM chips on them containing sections of the game which the bank switching combined together.  I'm no expert though, I would have to look up exactly what bank switching is to fully understand what I am talking about so I could be a little bit off.  There might be more involved than just one or two things.

I am guessing what it could involve is using an actel fpga core that recognizes a set of rom files per game and does all the combining, bankswitching, and everything.  You would have to devise a way to name or detect the files for each game or have all the files in sub folders.  There still would probably need to be a way to figure out which file goes with what but there is a lot of open source emulator code for the neogeo so that it wouldn't be difficult to figure out what is going on inside the machine.

So in that, I suppose one possibly could make a neogeo flash cart for < $300 and sell it.  but < $200 maybe not.

Offline DandySephy

• View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 21, 2014, 01:50 PM »
It should be noted that you can buy a cart for STV that loads a chosen rom from a SD into a bank of flash roms before rebooting as and running the game as normal (Much like a Sega Naomi does with non-carts). However there are several problems with this process.

1)It requires a large sum of upfront costs to buy hundreds of flash roms.
2)It requires a lot of time and effort to assemble due to the complexity.
3)It's not especially user friendly. It's fine for its target audience, not so much for people who want a visual menu like they expect from krikzz gear
4)Neo Geo has extra complexity due to it's two board design.

It's quite a serious undertaking and requires a lot of focus. And Money. The STV cart was limited to 100 units and was $200. The CPS2 cart that is coming next will be $300 and still requires a game for it to connect to, and will involve a upfront payment just to get the thing made. Serious projects with serious commitments, and not suited for the krikzz customer base who want to be able to buy the carts when they want.

Offline trekeyus

• View Profile
    • my soundcloud
« Reply #387 on: December 22, 2014, 06:41 PM »
Would be sweet to have a ngpc or ws cart but the complexity of both systems are a bit daunting. I'm not even sure a wonderswan flash cart is possible.
Chaos reigns within - Reflect, repent and reboot - Order shall return

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 22, 2014, 10:07 PM »

Offline crans

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 28, 2014, 08:57 AM »
im down for some EVERJag.