Author Topic: the next everdrive?  (Read 333161 times)

Offline teamvb

• View Profile
Re: atari jaguar everdrive
« Reply #390 on: December 29, 2014, 01:58 AM »
if we are lucky we may get a jag everdrive next xmas if not next xmas or the next xmas or next xmax and so on
EVERDRIVE 64v3,SUPERDRIVE v2, SD2SNES rev F (mod to H),UFO PRO SD,GAME DOCTOR 7 128MB USB,TURBO EVERDRIVE v1,MEGA EVERDRIVE V2,EVERDRIVE MD V1,MASTER EVERDRIVE,FLASHKIT MD,EVERDRIVE N8/FAMICOM,EVERDRIVE GBA X5

Offline Troyus

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 29, 2014, 02:23 PM »
Just about everyone here thinks that emulation has no soul. Thats the whole point of everdrives!!!! To keep the original feeling on original hardware.

No one cares what you played your nes games on. Or how anyone else does. We here believe emulation has no soul and don't emulate hardware.
Flash carts: game gear ED, megadrive ED, SNES ED, nintendo64 ED, N8 ED, GB ED, GBA ED, PSIO

Offline brooksyx

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 29, 2014, 03:40 PM »
Just about everyone here thinks that emulation has no soul. Thats the whole point of everdrives!!!! To keep the original feeling on original hardware.

No one cares what you played your nes games on. Or how anyone else does. We here believe emulation has no soul and don't emulate hardware.

I don't mind playing emulators on a mobile platform, I played a lot of retro systems on my PSP. Terrible on a phone though without a controller.

But I agree, if I am sitting at home I just can't play an emulator any more now that I have everdrives for the NES, SNES, N64, GB/C, GBA (ez-flash IV), and Genesis. It's just better playing games the way they are meant to be played. Now I just need a good tube TV to play them on.
NES - EDN8 | SNES - Super ED | Genesis ED-MD | Gameboy - EDGB | N64  - ED64 | Game Geear - Everdrive GG | GBA - EZ-Flash IV| Gamecube - XenoGC & EZ Flash IV | NDSL - R4 wood & EZ Flash 3in1

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 29, 2014, 04:21 PM »

Not necessarily. I bought my Everdrive 64 (the only ED I currently own) because I wanted to play a hacked version of Perfect Dark (Goldeneye X), and it was either play it on my real N64, or on an emulator. And N64 emulators are notoriously bad at the moment, with hit and miss compatibility, slight but noticeable pauses and slowdowns, and various audio/graphical errors in some games. And a few games N64 don't run on any emulator yet. It's actually a fact that the Playstation 2 and the Gamecube are currently better emulated than the N64, despite them being newer and more powerful than the N64.

So I bought an ED64 so I could play Goldeneye X (which is brilliant, BTW) and I now use the ED64 instead of real game cartridges.

On the other hand, I do like emulation too. It mostly depends on how good the emulation is really, I think - 8 and 16 bit conputers and consoles are mostly emulated more or less perfectly, so I can emulate them on my PC or original (modded) XBox.

I think on the whole I prefer real consoles, but I don't mind emulators at all, as long as they're done well.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 29, 2014, 04:24 PM »

I don't mind playing emulators on a mobile platform, I played a lot of retro systems on my PSP. Terrible on a phone though without a controller.

Yes to both your points. I have a PSP which I use for emulation (ZX Spectrum and C64, mainly), and as an ebook reader. I also have a tablet, which I can't play games on as I can't stand touch screen gaming. I really wish I could, but no matter how often I try to get used to it, it doesn't feel right for me. It would be great for mobile gaming, except I can't get used to the controls. I feel the same about motion controls, too, sadly (so no Metroid Prime 3 for me, I really wish that Nintendo had produced a Gamecube version of Metroid Prime 3, with joypad controls).

Offline Bernie

• doooogamit....
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 01, 2015, 07:48 PM »
Man, it would be nice to have a Jag ED.  I'd be all over it.

Offline cvskid

• View Profile
Re: the next everdrive?
« Reply #396 on: January 06, 2015, 12:49 AM »
NeoGeo AES/MVS, GBA, Nintendo DS, and NeoGeo Pocket/Color are the 4 main systems i can think of off the top of my head that do not have everdrives for them yet.

Offline brooksyx

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 06, 2015, 01:36 AM »
NeoGeo AES/MVS, GBA, Nintendo DS, and NeoGeo Pocket/Color are the 4 main systems i can think of off the top of my head that do not have everdrives for them yet.

Does DS really need on though? The market is flooded with R4's and similar cards. Even the 'clones' work just fine. NeoGeo would be cool but such a small market there. I think a Sega Saturn one would be cool, word on the street is that images could be loaded from a everdrive type cart in the expansion port behind the disc drive. Might need a boot disc though.

Word on the street (from krikzz own twitter) is that a GBA cart is in the works. That would be cool!
NES - EDN8 | SNES - Super ED | Genesis ED-MD | Gameboy - EDGB | N64  - ED64 | Game Geear - Everdrive GG | GBA - EZ-Flash IV| Gamecube - XenoGC & EZ Flash IV | NDSL - R4 wood & EZ Flash 3in1

Offline CoolPrizes

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 06, 2015, 02:11 AM »
Yeah, the DS doesn't really need one. The Supercard DSTwo is pretty much flawless.

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 06, 2015, 06:25 AM »
The only thing with DS cards is that there are TONS of fakes/clones of them.  So you could wind up buying a SC/DSTwo and getting a fake, and then the firmware won't work.

Neo Geo cart would have a decent demand, but far less than anything he sells now, even the SMS.  Cost could be an issue as well.

Neo Geo Pocket Color and Wonderswan have too small a following.  Sales #'s worldwide are dwarfed by systems like Game Gear even.

Sega Saturn has many options.  There's a method to reflash the 3rd party Action Replay carts to load a game.  Another is the Rea, which is a drive replacement from the GDEMU guy.  Also a Chinese site working on a device that would plug into the RAM cart slot.  Lastly, there's a guy investigating a board that would slip into the expansion slot for the VCD card. 

CD-based systems are a whole new ball of wax which Krikzz may not have time to get into right now.

Offline CoolPrizes

• View Profile
« Reply #400 on: January 08, 2015, 07:30 AM »
The only thing with DS cards is that there are TONS of fakes/clones of them.  So you could wind up buying a SC/DSTwo and getting a fake, and then the firmware won't work.

Neo Geo cart would have a decent demand, but far less than anything he sells now, even the SMS.  Cost could be an issue as well.

Neo Geo Pocket Color and Wonderswan have too small a following.  Sales #'s worldwide are dwarfed by systems like Game Gear even.

Sega Saturn has many options.  There's a method to reflash the 3rd party Action Replay carts to load a game.  Another is the Rea, which is a drive replacement from the GDEMU guy.  Also a Chinese site working on a device that would plug into the RAM cart slot.  Lastly, there's a guy investigating a board that would slip into the expansion slot for the VCD card. 

CD-based systems are a whole new ball of wax which Krikzz may not have time to get into right now.

There are no fake DSTwos.

Offline NeoXbit

• View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 20, 2015, 12:11 AM »
I initially wanted a Jaguar Everdrive but after acquiring a consolized Neo Geo MVS with excellent RGB output I realized how badly it needs an everydrive of its own. You all know about the multi-carts out there, and I own a couple of them but they're always missing some great games and some roms have problems.

I do believe that the market for Neo Geo have grown exponentially in the past few years mainly due to some of those consolized units and the somewhat affordable price tags of the MVS carts. I'd still pay up to 400$ for a Neo Geo Everdrive (MVS, I guess the conversion to AES wouldn't be hard).

Offline Shinjo360

• That´s mr 360 to you!
    • View Profile
    • Retrospelboxar.se
« Reply #402 on: January 20, 2015, 01:34 AM »
I would love an Atari Jaguar Everdrive.
Official Authorized Online Retailer - Sells EV´s all over Scandinavia.

Offline DandySephy

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 20, 2015, 02:14 PM »
I initially wanted a Jaguar Everdrive but after acquiring a consolized Neo Geo MVS with excellent RGB output I realized how badly it needs an everydrive of its own. You all know about the multi-carts out there, and I own a couple of them but they're always missing some great games and some roms have problems.

I do believe that the market for Neo Geo have grown exponentially in the past few years mainly due to some of those consolized units and the somewhat affordable price tags of the MVS carts. I'd still pay up to 400$ for a Neo Geo Everdrive (MVS, I guess the conversion to AES wouldn't be hard).
If anyone makes a flash cart for any Neo Geo it won't be Krikzz. It's not about demand, it's not about cost, it's about the complexity of design and manafacturing and the demand on time needed. It's much more complicated than any Everdrive. It needs someone focused on doing just one thing, and Krikzz still has to make and develop the existing products. all the everdrives use the same basic idea, adapted for the individual console but using the same basic principles. Neo requires a completely different way of thinking.

The most likely of the flash cart designers we already know about to make a Neo cart is Darksoft, but he's already busy with CPS2 and plans to do F3 next. He has the skill, but I suspect he won't be announcing one any time soon either.

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
  • So many games, too little time
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
« Reply #404 on: January 20, 2015, 03:04 PM »
The most likely of the flash cart designers we already know about to make a Neo cart is Darksoft, but he's already busy with CPS2 and plans to do F3 next. He has the skill, but I suspect he won't be announcing one any time soon either.
I'll admit my secret dream is for a Darksoft/Krikzz collaboration.
2600-Harmony Encore; NES-PowerPak, EverDrive N8; GB-EverDrive GB v1; SNES-Super ED v1, SD2SNES; GEN-Mega ED v1; N64-ED64 v2; NGPC-Bung 32Mb, NeoFlashMasta, NeoFlashMasta USB, NGP SD; GBA-EZ-Flash II 256Mb, EZ-Flash IV Redux, ED GBA X5; NDS-R4