Author Topic: the next everdrive?  (Read 343689 times)

Offline KalessinDB

• View Profile
Re: the next everdrive?
« Reply #405 on: January 21, 2015, 03:11 AM »
I also feel as though NG would crucify Darksoft if he announced it.  Because NG is a little crucify-happy, and he got enough (imo, unwarranted) heat from his STV and CPS2 carts already.

Regardless, I'm as happy with Darksoft's products as I am Krikzz's -- I wish the STV one had a menu, but I understand why it doesn't -- and I will continue to purchase anything he comes out with.
Attempting a complete NTSC-U NES set.  Sell me your games!
What I've Got.  253/677 licensed games, 39/95 unlicensed games (drawing # from NA's "semi-official" list

Offline DBloke

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 21, 2015, 07:56 AM »
I initially wanted a Jaguar Everdrive but after acquiring a consolized Neo Geo MVS with excellent RGB output I realized how badly it needs an everydrive of its own. You all know about the multi-carts out there, and I own a couple of them but they're always missing some great games and some roms have problems.

I do believe that the market for Neo Geo have grown exponentially in the past few years mainly due to some of those consolized units and the somewhat affordable price tags of the MVS carts. I'd still pay up to 400$ for a Neo Geo Everdrive (MVS, I guess the conversion to AES wouldn't be hard).
If anyone makes a flash cart for any Neo Geo it won't be Krikzz. It's not about demand, it's not about cost, it's about the complexity of design and manafacturing and the demand on time needed. It's much more complicated than any Everdrive. It needs someone focused on doing just one thing, and Krikzz still has to make and develop the existing products. all the everdrives use the same basic idea, adapted for the individual console but using the same basic principles. Neo requires a completely different way of thinking.

The most likely of the flash cart designers we already know about to make a Neo cart is Darksoft, but he's already busy with CPS2 and plans to do F3 next. He has the skill, but I suspect he won't be announcing one any time soon either.
He has said its possble (sure it was in this thread), its just the cost of such a thing, but in saying that NeoGeo MVS collectors are crazy
TNOG.ORG - Games nights in Manchester - https://www.youtube.com/user/Darkprinny

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
  • So many games, too little time
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
« Reply #407 on: January 21, 2015, 03:22 PM »
NeoGeo MVS collectors are crazy
I have no idea what you're talking about  ::)

* Not shown: a bin full of more MVS carts...
2600-Harmony Encore; NES-PowerPak, EverDrive N8; GB-EverDrive GB v1; SNES-Super ED v1, SD2SNES; GEN-Mega ED v1; N64-ED64 v2; NGPC-Bung 32Mb, NeoFlashMasta, NeoFlashMasta USB, NGP SD; GBA-EZ-Flash II 256Mb, EZ-Flash IV Redux, ED GBA X5; NDS-R4

Offline jim16127

• View Profile
Re: atari jaguar everdrive
« Reply #408 on: February 07, 2015, 06:05 AM »
Figured I'd chime in and put a +1 on this idea as well. It's one of the only consoles I can't emulate well. I also bought all of Krikzz's ED Carts from StoneAgeGamer. Gotta love those deluxe edition. Anyway...I bet more people would be interested in a Jaguar if an EverDrive type cart existed. Hell, I never played a TG16 until Krikzz released a flash cart for it. Now I own a TG16 and all the games! Thanks Krikzz. I welcome ANY and ALL flash carts. I'll buy em all!

Offline NeoXbit

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 12, 2015, 05:30 AM »
Figured I'd chime in and put a +1 on this idea as well. It's one of the only consoles I can't emulate well. I also bought all of Krikzz's ED Carts from StoneAgeGamer. Gotta love those deluxe edition. Anyway...I bet more people would be interested in a Jaguar if an EverDrive type cart existed. Hell, I never played a TG16 until Krikzz released a flash cart for it. Now I own a TG16 and all the games! Thanks Krikzz. I welcome ANY and ALL flash carts. I'll buy em all!

I fully agree and also got myself a couple of consoles I didn't own mainly because of Krikzz's flashcarts. I got a Jaguar and a couple of games for it but a Jaguar everdrive would make me want to dust off the console and actually play a couple of decent games that are now way more expensive than they used to be years ago.

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 12, 2015, 08:19 AM »
if you have a couple of game to play, go and get a Skunkboard.

Offline NeoXbit

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 16, 2015, 03:44 AM »

I guess it's been out-of-production now for many years, correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline KalessinDB

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 16, 2015, 07:22 AM »

I guess it's been out-of-production now for many years, correct me if I'm wrong.

Consider yourself corrected.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/223026-skunkboard-production-batch-declare-list/

(I can't click that link, it's blocked from work, but when I initially told dvd2vcd about it back in May or so the guy who was running the new batch was intending to just keep making them)
Attempting a complete NTSC-U NES set.  Sell me your games!
What I've Got.  253/677 licensed games, 39/95 unlicensed games (drawing # from NA's "semi-official" list

Offline DBloke

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 16, 2015, 07:43 AM »
Id be up for one if they supported more than one game at once

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 16, 2015, 08:04 AM »
Id be up for one if they supported more than one game at once
So you can go and get it, is supports up to 2 games  :P

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 16, 2015, 04:00 PM »
skunkboard has no eeprom chip for game saves, supports only 2 games at once it's supposed to be a pain to use and needs connection to a pc.
 as much as i really would like an atari jaguar flashcart i would prefer to go without than get a skunkboard.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 16, 2015, 04:08 PM »
Why are they called "skunk boards"? It's not a great name for a product, is it?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 04:18 PM by Kerr Avon »

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 17, 2015, 12:28 AM »
it's called a skunkboard because once you do a little research before buying it you find out that it stinks like a steaming pile of poop and skunks stink too lol.
 i would have purchased one on about the 3rd run or something and i decided to research the product a little more before shelling out my cash and i'm glad i did i could cope with all the other pitfalls with the skunkboard but the no eeprom save option is a complete stinker.
the reason behind the decision not to include a eeprom save chip was to keep the cart inline with development and discourage people from buying the cart to play pirate games of old roms that nobody gives a monkeys about anymore... DOH!
 all i wanted was a basic easy to use flashcart for atari jaguar and the skunkboard fails on so many levels. maybe if the product was from 20 years ago the limitations may have been acceptable, but for a more recent product it really does fall short of my expectations and i gather others feel the same.

Offline DBloke

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 17, 2015, 12:56 AM »
Most Jaguar fans hate priarcy of all kinds, which is why we need a decent flash cart to piss them off

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 17, 2015, 04:53 AM »
Most Jaguar fans hate priarcy of all kinds, which is why we need a decent flash cart to piss them off

yeah deffo. when i first got my jaguar and i started looking for a flash cart(s) i came across some forum threads here and there with some real bad attitude towards atari jaguar piracy but it's not like piracy killed the jaguar ffs.
 the system has some fun games and then some games which are so bad they become good in an AVGN sort of way but the console itself failed for reasons other than piracy.
 for me the console is  a bit of a curio, a glimpse of what might have been but never really took off and failed. it would be great to have the complete jaguar collection sitting on an ad card inside a fully functional flash cart one day.
 and to those anti piracy jaguar guys... come on it's 2015, the console is old now, the games are old now, who cares if i play games like atari Karts from a flash cart, it's not like it's 1995 or anything and a flash cart is going to seriously hurt the system.
 i mean consoles like the snes and megadrive/genesis had copiers being sold at the same time that they were in their prime and the systems still done well so why they making such a big deal over it now.