Author Topic: the next everdrive?  (Read 366402 times)

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: the next everdrive?
« Reply #495 on: May 29, 2015, 11:35 AM »
THIS THREAD IS FUN!!!!!!

I need to look into that Vec cart. :D I know it's been discussed here before.

Offline wilykat

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: June 04, 2015, 01:35 PM »
WTB: Action Max multi cart.

Offline DBloke

• View Profile
« Reply #497 on: June 04, 2015, 01:44 PM »
There was already a compilation DVD made for it,

I will soon start work on my Homebrew games for it
TNOG.ORG - Games nights in Manchester - https://www.youtube.com/user/Darkprinny

Offline arlips

• View Profile
Re: PSX Everdrive
« Reply #498 on: June 06, 2015, 04:49 AM »
I'm just reviving this topic because it exists and didn't see the need to make a new one. Does Krikzz have something inherently against making an Everdrive for a CD based system? The PSIO is currently suffering setbacks and it's already way past its original ETA of end-of-2014. Would love to see our man Krikzz take on the PSX and give us a solid SD based loading system that plugs into the I/O port of the older PSX models. Getting so sick of switching discs manually and needing to burn a new CD for every little obscure game I want to play....I dream of the day I can just browse the entire PSX collection from a single menu and start any game with ease!

Offline KalessinDB

• View Profile
« Reply #499 on: June 06, 2015, 05:53 AM »
Yes, Krikzz has said multiple times he has no interest in doing optical drive-based systems.  Plus there's still other cart-based systems for him to tackle, to say nothing of the upkeep and firmware updates for all the products he already has out.

I'd assume Deunan or Mnemo would be more likely to make a PSX drive replacement.  Because.. yeah... PSIO is vaporware.  I'd love to be proven wrong, but I'm not counting on it.

Right now it seems like Krikzz is focusing on cart systems (with a few others like batari doing the Harmony and Concerto carts for 2600/7800, Atarimania doing 5200/Colecovision, Richard doing Vectrex/Virtual Boy), Deunan and Mnemo doing optical systems (DC/Saturn and 3DO/DC respectively, both with plans for more I think), and darksoft working on arcade systems (STV, CPS3 and CPS2 so far and talking about his next plan)

And all us poor fools happily buying them all.

No?  Just me?  Okay then.
Attempting a complete NTSC-U NES set.  Sell me your games!
What I've Got.  253/677 licensed games, 39/95 unlicensed games (drawing # from NA's "semi-official" list

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile
« Reply #500 on: June 06, 2015, 08:30 AM »
Aerf, sadly, not just you  :P

Offline fille1976

• View Profile
« Reply #501 on: June 06, 2015, 09:17 AM »
for me the most important card based is missing,the aes.
it may cost 500e,i dont care,ill buy it.
but he already said he doesnt do aes.
i have almost almost all cardtrigd based consoles,but the aes rocks.
its just an awesome console with many good games.
also like to have neo geo pocket-atari lynx-wonderswan-atari jaguar flashcard.

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: June 06, 2015, 10:06 AM »
Another thread MERGER!

Offline KalessinDB

• View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 06, 2015, 01:08 PM »
for me the most important card based is missing,the aes.
it may cost 500e,i dont care,ill buy it.
but he already said he doesnt do aes.
i have almost almost all cardtrigd based consoles,but the aes rocks.
its just an awesome console with many good games.
also like to have neo geo pocket-atari lynx-wonderswan-atari jaguar flashcard.

Darksoft (who's doing the arcade stuff) is intending to do a Neo multi, if not next eventually, and he's said he intends to make it work on both AES and MVS (presuming it's physically possible).  And, given his previous price points, he may well manage to get cheaper than 500. Though it may come bare boards
What I've Got.  253/677 licensed games, 39/95 unlicensed games (drawing # from NA's "semi-official" list

Offline KalessinDB

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 06, 2015, 01:12 PM »
Also NGP exists already, albeit not SD based. And a guy on atariage forums has a working prototype for a Lynx one that's SD based. There's also an already existing version of a lynx one that's flash based. Very small production run.

Offline DandySephy

• View Profile
« Reply #505 on: June 07, 2015, 12:34 AM »
I'm just reviving this topic because it exists and didn't see the need to make a new one. Does Krikzz have something inherently against making an Everdrive for a CD based system?
The types of devices are completely different. Everdrives are all based on the same concept and prices, and adapted for each specific system and revision. he has been able to release so many and with different revisions because he has been able to reuse aspects of each one. Cd devices would mean starting from the beginning and need much more work. It's not surprise Krikzz has no interest in them.

Deunan's devices again are based on reusing the same concept, adapted for each system. Rhea was up and running quickly because most of the hardwork was done and just needed to be adapted for the specifics of the Saturn. His PC Engine device will again be based on the same work.

Cart systems are "easy" to do because they just copy the way the system was designed - the game is copied to memory and run from there, once the game is copied to that memory the system doesn't know any different from an original cart. The work is largely in creating code the system will understand to provide the menu and extra functions.

Cd's systems are MUCH harder because the systems are much more complicated as they rely not just on the cd drive, but various processors and memory systems in order to handle the read, process and understand the data. Some systems are also easier to do because of how they are designed. On Saturn and Dreamcast the cd drive is a module that can be removed and replaced with something else - GDEMU and Rhea are drop in replacements for the drive and so the rest of the system doesn't know any different. With some other systems such as PS1 the system is designed so that everything is on a single board and the drive assembly plugs into that without any of it's own processing. This means you can't simply replace the drive, and is the reason PSIO requires you to modify the motherboard and requires additional work.

It's for these reasons that Deunan's PC Engine product will only work on PCE+CD setups and not Duo's - the separate cd is much easier to modify than the single pcbs design of the Duo. Although even the version he has at the moment has issues - obtaining the necessary connector is the obvious problem.

Offline fille1976

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: June 07, 2015, 09:39 AM »
i buyed the atari lynx flashcard,waiting for the sd based one.
and also buyed neo geo flashmasta +linkmasta,so i can try out my neo geo pocket color.
and neo geo aes flashcard ill buy imediatly when its out or if its coming.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 10:37 PM by fille1976 »

Offline Captain N

• View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 11, 2015, 04:11 AM »
The PSIO as far as I can understand is really close to being finished. The Beta tester should recieve their boards any time now. I'm still really excited for this. I am just a bit disappointed that it won't just work as a plug'n play solution. And that you will have to ultimately solder/wire some stuff on.

Offline StarshipUK

• View Profile
« Reply #508 on: June 11, 2015, 04:36 AM »
There was an AES multicart, but it was stupidly expensive and sold out stupidly quickly. I think its also possible to use an AES to MVS converter and a MVS multicart.

I listed a few pages back the 6 or 7 cart systems which have not had a cart made for them and most likely never will due to low demand.

The most comprehensive list seems to be this thread: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/127752-flashcart-and-multicart-list-all-systems/ with consoles in the first post and computers in the second post.

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 17, 2015, 01:39 AM »
longest thread ever?  :o
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B