Author Topic: the next everdrive?  (Read 341009 times)

Offline KalessinDB

• View Profile
Re: the next everdrive?
« Reply #555 on: September 14, 2015, 07:19 PM »
Correct. Existing GBA flash carts cannot play GB/GBC games without using an emulator, because the size of the cartridge itself pushes the GBA into GBA mode, locking out GB/GBC functionality.

Unless krikzz figures something out that no one else has been able to (which is certainly possible, but maybe not probable given the current GB(C) flash cart he already had), you will need both to access all 3 types of games.
Attempting a complete NTSC-U NES set.  Sell me your games!
What I've Got.  253/677 licensed games, 39/95 unlicensed games (drawing # from NA's "semi-official" list

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #556 on: September 15, 2015, 12:08 AM »
gameboy everdrive is a great device and works very well with my gamecube gameboy player and also works great on my super gameboy for snes and it's very affordable. so even if krikzz does get around to making the majority of us happy by spoiling us with the release of a gba everdrive it's not a big deal if gameboy and gameboy colour games wont work with it because we have the already great GB everdrive product available anyway.
  i think supporting krikzz's hard work by buying both GB and GBA everdrive  would be a good thing since he has to put as lot of effort into these devices.
 i myself am happy to buy both products and would not be disappointed in the least if there was no backward compatibility.
 lets face it we save a fortune already in not having to buy all these cool retro games with more and more inflated second hand prices from ebay and so on to play on real hardware and playing on real hardware beats emulation hands down imo.
 when i mention inflated second hand prices for old games i mean the situation is getting worse. i passed over the chance a few times to buy atari karts for the jaguar because i thought it was it was over priced and a decent jaguar flash card would more than likely be made sometime in the future by someone.
 well a few years down the line the price has almost doubled for that game and i know the same thing is happening for lots of games for other systems which we are fortunate enough to have everdrives for.
 i will keep buying everdrives so long as krikzz keeps making them, the more the better i say :)

« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 12:12 AM by butfluffy »

Offline TDIRunner

• View Profile
« Reply #557 on: September 15, 2015, 01:16 AM »
gameboy everdrive is a great device and works very well with my gamecube gameboy player and also works great on my super gameboy for snes and it's very affordable. so even if krikzz does get around to making the majority of us happy by spoiling us with the release of a gba everdrive it's not a big deal if gameboy and gameboy colour games wont work with it because we have the already great GB everdrive product available anyway.
  i think supporting krikzz's hard work by buying both GB and GBA everdrive  would be a good thing since he has to put as lot of effort into these devices.
 i myself am happy to buy both products and would not be disappointed in the least if there was no backward compatibility.
 lets face it we save a fortune already in not having to buy all these cool retro games with more and more inflated second hand prices from ebay and so on to play on real hardware and playing on real hardware beats emulation hands down imo.
 when i mention inflated second hand prices for old games i mean the situation is getting worse. i passed over the chance a few times to buy atari karts for the jaguar because i thought it was it was over priced and a decent jaguar flash card would more than likely be made sometime in the future by someone.
 well a few years down the line the price has almost doubled for that game and i know the same thing is happening for lots of games for other systems which we are fortunate enough to have everdrives for.
 i will keep buying everdrives so long as krikzz keeps making them, the more the better i say :)

I definately agree, and I plan on supporting Krikzz by eventually buying each of his Everdrives.  The only one I was thinking about passing on was the Game Boy simple because I assumed the GBA ED would be able to cover GB and GBC.  With that said, if I have to buy both versions, I won't be unhappy.  It's a fantastic product, and I can't wait to see what systems he plans on next. 

My wish list is............ any cart based systems since I have nearly all of the manyway.  ;)  (although Jaguar is probably at the top of the list).
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Turbo EverDrive    EverDrive N8    SD2SNES    EverDrive64 v3    EverDrive GB    EverDrive GBA    Master EverDrive    Mega EverDrive    EverDrive GG

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #558 on: September 15, 2015, 05:03 AM »
the only everdrive i don't own is the game gear one and thats because some vital games seem to not be working at this time. if the cart gets an update fixing compatibility for these games i will get one along with  a refurbished game gear or maybe a game gear with one of those rgb mods which allows you to play game gear on a tv.
 i don't own a super everdrive either but thats cos i chose to buy the sd2snes instead but krikzz also makes the sd2snes even though it's ikari's cart.
 i'm not sure myself exactly what the deal is with sd2snes, ikari and krikzz but it's a great cart so far.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 05:05 AM by butfluffy »

Offline TDIRunner

• View Profile
« Reply #559 on: September 15, 2015, 05:07 AM »
the only everdrive i don't own is the game gear one and thats because some vital games seem to not be working at this time. if the cart gets an update fixing compatibility for these games i will get one along with  a refurbished game gear or maybe a game gear with one of those rgb mods which allows you to play game gear on a tv.
 i don't own a super everdrive either but thats cos i chose to buy the sd2snes instead but krikzz also makes the sd2snes even though it's ikari's cart.
 i'm not sure myself exactly what the deal is with sd2snes, ikari and krikzz but it's a great cart so far.

Yeah, the Game Gear Everdrive will probably be the last one I get, but that's mainly because the GG library is the least interesting to me out of all of the systems that have EDs.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Turbo EverDrive    EverDrive N8    SD2SNES    EverDrive64 v3    EverDrive GB    EverDrive GBA    Master EverDrive    Mega EverDrive    EverDrive GG

Offline RogeCM

• View Profile
« Reply #560 on: September 15, 2015, 02:52 PM »
If krikkz make a jaguar flash cart I would buy it because i am looking for a skunkboard for a long time

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #561 on: September 15, 2015, 04:06 PM »
i kinda wish i purchased a damn skunkboard when i had the chance from goatstore. even though it seems a pain to use and is lacking features it would have been ok until something better came along i guess. also it's a little easier to use now apparently if you use the skunkgui.
 who knows maybe there will be another SkunkBoard SillyVenture Edition run in the future. i would still hate to have to buy a skunkboard though, a flash cart should be in this day and age way more user friendly, the operation on the damn thing just seems so dated and kinda reminds me of the old school flash carts from the 90's.
 i would much prefer something with sd card slot and menu like the everdrives. the main reason for this is all my retro systems are setup upstairs hooked up to my sony trinatron crt tv and nowhere near a pc. i don't fancy taking the laptop up stairs and flashing jag roms to a skunkboard from the laptop everytime i want to change games.
 i also don't care how unpopular the jaguar system is because thats not the point. i would say that out of all my systems the jag is one of my least favorite but all my other retro systems have already got flash carts or some kind of mod chip etc.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 04:41 PM by butfluffy »

Offline gba4life

• View Profile
« Reply #562 on: September 15, 2015, 06:57 PM »

I definately agree, and I plan on supporting Krikzz by eventually buying each of his Everdrives.  The only one I was thinking about passing on was the Game Boy simple because I assumed the GBA ED would be able to cover GB and GBC.  With that said, if I have to buy both versions, I won't be unhappy.  It's a fantastic product, and I can't wait to see what systems he plans on next. 

My wish list is............ any cart based systems since I have nearly all of the manyway.  ;)  (although Jaguar is probably at the top of the list).

I too have been waiting for news about the capability of the gba everdrive to play gb/gbc games before deciding to buy a gameboy everdrive. It seems likely that the gba everdrive won't be able to play it - which is fine as playing gba games is the priority to me - and I'll probably just buy both a gba and gameboy everdrive when the former is released.

Offline FriendofSonic

• View Profile
« Reply #563 on: September 15, 2015, 07:31 PM »
Aww, tons of activity in this thread. Thought I was going to read about how the GBA Everdrive was going to be sale. Crossing my fingers for later this year!

Offline rafaelalvesals

• Hue Hue BR BR
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: September 15, 2015, 11:14 PM »
Aww, tons of activity in this thread. Thought I was going to read about how the GBA Everdrive was going to be sale. Crossing my fingers for later this year!

have you been a good boy this year? Santa Krikzz is watching you haha  ;D

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #565 on: September 16, 2015, 12:47 AM »
santa krikzz. haha thats proper funny :)

Offline SillyWalks

• View Profile
« Reply #566 on: September 16, 2015, 08:22 AM »
Correct. Existing GBA flash carts cannot play GB/GBC games without using an emulator, because the size of the cartridge itself pushes the GBA into GBA mode, locking out GB/GBC functionality.

Unless krikzz figures something out that no one else has been able to (which is certainly possible, but maybe not probable given the current GB(C) flash cart he already had), you will need both to access all 3 types of games.

This would be a fairly simple physical hack. You just need to fill up the notch in the GBA cartridge so it will push the switch of the GBA, putting the GBA into GBC mode. Perhaps something can be used that turns or clicks into place.

Now how to make a cartridge that is at the same time accessible as both a GBA and a GBC cartridge? I have no idea how to do that, because my knowledge of the inner workings of game cartridges is limited. It would probably be about the same as squeezing two different Everdrives into one cartridge, just sharing the cartridge pins.

Perhaps you can use the position of the 'notch-filler' to activate a switch on the board between GBA and GBC modes of the cartridge...

Offline FriendofSonic

• View Profile
« Reply #567 on: September 17, 2015, 03:11 PM »

have you been a good boy this year? Santa Krikzz is watching you haha  ;D

Ha! Santa Krikzz! As funny as that is, I'll accept it if it allows me to have the GBA Everdrive!

Offline Gh0st

• View Profile
« Reply #568 on: November 22, 2015, 12:13 AM »

This would be a fairly simple physical hack. You just need to fill up the notch in the GBA cartridge so it will push the switch of the GBA, putting the GBA into GBC mode. Perhaps something can be used that turns or clicks into place.

Now how to make a cartridge that is at the same time accessible as both a GBA and a GBC cartridge? I have no idea how to do that, because my knowledge of the inner workings of game cartridges is limited. It would probably be about the same as squeezing two different Everdrives into one cartridge, just sharing the cartridge pins.

Perhaps you can use the position of the 'notch-filler' to activate a switch on the board between GBA and GBC modes of the cartridge...

Only thing I could think of would be to ensure that your main memory can be read by the system in GBA and GBC mode, then have the following:
1. Physical switch running down the side of the cartridge to press in the button in the slot that switches the system into GBC mode
2. Separate OS that would be loaded if this physical switch was pressed

That way, when you want to play GBC games, you press down the switch (it would stay down), the flash cart automatically loads the "GBC" OS instead, and the system is in GBC mode.

Offline FriendofSonic

• View Profile
« Reply #569 on: December 13, 2015, 07:48 PM »
I guess Santa Krikzz isn't visiting us this year. :-(