Author Topic: the next everdrive?  (Read 333418 times)

Offline fille1976

• View Profile

Offline DBloke

• View Profile
Re: the next everdrive?
« Reply #646 on: April 16, 2016, 01:18 PM »
SainT is also working on a jaguar cart.

I DEMAND NAMES
PLACES
DATES
And cost
TNOG.ORG - Games nights in Manchester - https://www.youtube.com/user/Darkprinny

Offline KalessinDB

• View Profile
« Reply #647 on: April 16, 2016, 10:48 PM »
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/250637-lynx-multi-card-preorders/
hah! On the list without even realizing he had started an official list. Score.
Attempting a complete NTSC-U NES set.  Sell me your games!
What I've Got.  253/677 licensed games, 39/95 unlicensed games (drawing # from NA's "semi-official" list

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #648 on: April 20, 2016, 05:13 PM »
no list for the jag flash cart then? I already saw the lynx list...
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline wilykat

• View Profile
« Reply #649 on: April 22, 2016, 11:42 AM »
Not ready for Jags yet.  Lynx is already being made and shipped, right now he is expecting batch of 100 at the end of April. Last I checked, the list is around 220 people long but some of the names on the top 50 are old and aren't active on AA forum so if the user isn't checking at all, they will miss the window and some names will be skipped.

Offline JET

• View Profile
« Reply #650 on: July 04, 2016, 07:21 AM »
all cd/dvd based consoles could still have everdrive support through memory cards and card slot, simply make the consoles memory card have a slot to put sd card with loaded everdrive roms in it.

Offline randomviewer896

• View Profile
« Reply #651 on: July 04, 2016, 08:04 AM »
I would like to see some device created by Krikzz that fits into the PS2 network adapter port and does everything a hard drive does for it.
I know that it's currently possible to scrounge for a used ps2 network adapter and an IDE hard drive and accomplish what an Everdrive can do but I would love to see a quality device made by Krikzz that does it without having to fuss and dig around for legacy adapters.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #652 on: July 04, 2016, 04:47 PM »
all cd/dvd based consoles could still have everdrive support through memory cards and card slot, simply make the consoles memory card have a slot to put sd card with loaded everdrive roms in it.

It's not that simple, sadly. The console would need to be able to boot from the memory card or card slot, which as far as I know, none can do normally (there'd be no advantage for the manufacturer to deliberately add such a feature). If there's a flaw or vulnerability in the console's operating system then it can be possible to force the memory card to boot as a result of this, but that's not easy to do, and you usually need another way to run homebrew party software on the console first so that that software can then make the memory card bootable.

The PS2's ability to boot from the memory card (or hard drive) is only possible because some very clever people spent a lot of time doing some very hard work to find and exploit a suitable vulnerability, and few consoles have a user base as fanatically devoted as the PS2, sadly.

I would like to see some device created by Krikzz that fits into the PS2 network adapter port and does everything a hard drive does for it.
I know that it's currently possible to scrounge for a used ps2 network adapter and an IDE hard drive and accomplish what an Everdrive can do but I would love to see a quality device made by Krikzz that does it without having to fuss and dig around for legacy adapters.

A PS2 with a hard drive is fantastic, but it's not perfect, as not every game works from hard-drive (though compatibility is still being improved, and it is now very high), and some games need some experimentation with some settings (in the boot loader software) to get them to run properly. It's not like an Everdrive (or even a modded XBox) where every game works fine.

Having said that, though, it's difficult to see how an SD card would make a better storage medium for the PS2 than a hard drive, as PS2 games are much larger than any games for any of the consoles that so far the Everdrive range caters for. Some games on the PS2 are more than 5GB in size, and I've filled my 250GB* hard drive on my PS2, and I don't have that many PS2 games (i think it was around 72 when I last counted, but that was a year or two back).

Even if you could get larger than 250GB SD cards, they'd cost a lot more than a hard drive of the same capacity would. Though then again, since the PS2 + network card needs an IDE hard drive, which can be hard to find as they began to be phased out a while back, then an Everdrive that used SD cards, or even SATA hard drives, might be tempting. BTW, you can use a SATA to IDE converter and a SATA hard drive, but sadly a lot of them apparently don't work with the PS2, so it's not too straightforward there.

* I could be wrong here, but I seem to remember that I could only access about 220GB (or 230GB?) of the hard drive, as to use the rest I'd need to reformat it, or use a new BIOS, or something, and by the time I found out about it, I'd installed most of my games, so I didn't want to go to the trouble of having to reinstall them, so I decided to just 'lose' the extra GBs of hard drive space.

Offline randomviewer896

• View Profile
« Reply #653 on: July 04, 2016, 10:53 PM »

A PS2 with a hard drive is fantastic, but it's not perfect, as not every game works from hard-drive (though compatibility is still being improved, and it is now very high), and some games need some experimentation with some settings (in the boot loader software) to get them to run properly. It's not like an Everdrive (or even a modded XBox) where every game works fine.

Having said that, though, it's difficult to see how an SD card would make a better storage medium for the PS2 than a hard drive, as PS2 games are much larger than any games for any of the consoles that so far the Everdrive range caters for. Some games on the PS2 are more than 5GB in size, and I've filled my 250GB* hard drive on my PS2, and I don't have that many PS2 games (i think it was around 72 when I last counted, but that was a year or two back).

Even if you could get larger than 250GB SD cards, they'd cost a lot more than a hard drive of the same capacity would. Though then again, since the PS2 + network card needs an IDE hard drive, which can be hard to find as they began to be phased out a while back, then an Everdrive that used SD cards, or even SATA hard drives, might be tempting. BTW, you can use a SATA to IDE converter and a SATA hard drive, but sadly a lot of them apparently don't work with the PS2, so it's not too straightforward there.

I wasn't really talking about a PS2 to SD adapter, I was thinking of a PS2 to SATA adapter. Currently to do what you're suggesting you have to:
A) find a PS2 network adapter, which have now become completely useless for anything other than homebrew since the PS2's online services were shut down last march
B) find an IDE hard drive or find a compatible IDE to SATA adapter.

It would be cool to have an adapter that circumvented all of that and went straight from the PS2 adapter to a SATA, and possibly also emulated some of the unique features official PS2 HDDs offered in the process.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2_Expansion_Bay#Hard_disk_drive

I'm not sure of the logistics of this or if Krikzz is the best person to ask to make this device but it is something I would like to see nonetheless.

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile
« Reply #654 on: July 05, 2016, 12:18 PM »
Well, i can't see what Krikzz could do better than that's already existing for the PS2.
you have 3 ways to set your PS2 :

- IDE HDD, using the genuine PS2 network adapter. The easier, maybe the more compatible. That's the first setup i did for myself.

- SATA, either using IDE-to-SATA adapter (but space will be your issue), either modding the genuine network adapter (a bit tricky), or using the chinese clone network adapter. I have this one (not from this seller):
http://fr.aliexpress.com/item/free-shipping-wholesales-SATA-Network-Adaptor-for-PS2/430359280.html?spm=2114.44010208.4.167.w3oQwd
It has some compitibility issues, i personnaly had some playing Ico (wild freezes while playing). Those issues don't exist using IDE HDD.

- SD card, following this tut' :
http://psx-scene.com/forums/f20/my-ps2-hdd-setup-reading-off-sd-card-adapter-133944/
The last mod i did for myself. I went a bit further than the author, as i used a SD extension flex, and set my SD slot in front of my PS2, under the CD tray. There is plenty of room in the HDD bay to fit the whole.
For now, i didn't spot any compatibility issue, and it's the easier way to remove your storage support.

Hope you'll find this useful...

Offline dragonblood

• View Profile
« Reply #655 on: July 21, 2016, 06:13 AM »
What would be interesting it is if Krikzz make a Neo-Geo Pocket EverDrive or WonderSwan Everdrive, I know there flashcards of these handhelds on the market, but leave much to be desired because you can only use a rom at

Offline Peamur

• View Profile
« Reply #656 on: July 22, 2016, 11:10 AM »
I think Krikzz needs to develop it's own (clone) multiconsole.

I imagine something like:

NES/FAMICOM + SNES/SF + MD/GEN/SMS + GB/GBC + GBA + NEOGEO + ATARI2600/Jaguar+N64
With HDMI / AV output

Device price: 599$

with or without embedded Everdrives modules (integrated and cannot be used separately)
Each Everdrive module: 49$

Or it can be a basic device without any consoles parts but with separated modules for all those consoles listed.
So you can add only needed modules (e.g. if you need NES/FAMICOM+SNES/SF only). You have the device itseld and can add only needed modules.

Each console module: 99$

Of course, you can buy a PC, but what I imagine is a full clone with support of original catrtidges and controllers. I think with a proper marketing and kickstarter, he can do it.

Offline rocketblast

• View Profile
« Reply #657 on: August 09, 2016, 05:43 AM »
What would be interesting it is if Krikzz make a Neo-Geo Pocket EverDrive or WonderSwan Everdrive, I know there flashcards of these handhelds on the market, but leave much to be desired because you can only use a rom at

I second this reqest to Krikzz for an NGPC EverDrive only because the Flashmasta doesn't have SD card support.  Also I'm not sure since I don't own one, but how the Flashmasta kit has USB may end up requiring a legacy PC depending on the drivers.

As far as WonderSwan goes, I'm not sure what the attachment rate is.  The attachment rate of the NGPC should be pretty good though, considering they used to sell it at Toys R Us and Fry's Electronics (in bundles after the system was pulled from manufacturing and distributing).  It would be cool to see flash carts from Krikzz for both systems though.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 05:56 AM by rocketblast »

Offline Jmbarnes101

• View Profile
« Reply #658 on: August 11, 2016, 04:15 AM »
I'd buy a NGPC one as quickly as I bought a GBA once which was pretty dang quick. The only Everdrive I still want is the Turbo but I don't have a system to use it on yet so it'll wait.

Offline Estil

• View Profile
« Reply #659 on: August 14, 2016, 06:22 AM »
How about a DS Everdrive?  Will that be possible in the near future if it's not being worked on already?