Author Topic: the next everdrive?  (Read 327881 times)

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
Re: the next everdrive?
« Reply #705 on: December 08, 2016, 10:28 PM »
I'm waiting for the Everdrive that replaces the SEGA CD unit.

That would be a tough sell, but if someone out there made a flashcart for a console like the jaguar, then there also hope for the Sega CD.

It would be much, much easier to make a FPGA based clone console of the Sega+SegaCD+ 32x, cheaper to purchase and lot less cumbersome.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 09:32 PM by leonquest »
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO - MODE - MISTer

Offline Estil

• View Profile
« Reply #706 on: December 09, 2016, 02:46 PM »
I tried to get a Sega CD a couple of times but both broke down on me (the front loader because a cord was in the way of the disc tray and knocked it out of alignment) and the side car one because it no longer read the discs.  So yes it would be quite nice to run Sega CD ISO's off the Everdrive w/o needing the Sega CD itself, if such a thing can be done.  *sigh* Then again maybe the Sega CD isn't anything that special... :(

Offline TDIRunner

• View Profile
« Reply #707 on: December 09, 2016, 04:38 PM »
I tried to get a Sega CD a couple of times but both broke down on me (the front loader because a cord was in the way of the disc tray and knocked it out of alignment) and the side car one because it no longer read the discs.  So yes it would be quite nice to run Sega CD ISO's off the Everdrive w/o needing the Sega CD itself, if such a thing can be done.  *sigh* Then again maybe the Sega CD isn't anything that special... :(

For future reference, there is a small clip on the side of the model 1 Sega CD that holds the cord out of the way so that the tray never hits it. 
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Turbo EverDrive    EverDrive N8    SD2SNES    EverDrive64 v3    EverDrive GB    EverDrive GBA    Master EverDrive    Mega EverDrive    EverDrive GG

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #708 on: December 10, 2016, 05:16 AM »

The sega cd has its own procesor, ram and video chip, i dont think its possible with a flashcart.
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO - MODE - MISTer

Offline bas

• View Profile
« Reply #709 on: December 13, 2016, 05:21 PM »
How about a universal virtual CD-Rom board.
It would take the motor voltages of various CD-Rom designs of the past
as input and output as if it where the laser unit the system expects.
This could be a solution for all (obscure) lens based systems at once.
yes? no?....  i'll let myself out....

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #710 on: December 16, 2016, 05:02 PM »
judging by the work some people are doing designing units to emulate cd-roms from old systems it's enough of a task getting one system working properly. a universal virtual cd-rom board while sounding like a dream come true idea would more than likely be an huge undertaking.
 i would be happy with one ODE solution for each system, maybe when the gdemu guy finishes with the pcengine cd project he may consider working on mega/sega cd.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #711 on: December 16, 2016, 05:30 PM »
How about a universal virtual CD-Rom board.
It would take the motor voltages of various CD-Rom designs of the past
as input and output as if it where the laser unit the system expects.
This could be a solution for all (obscure) lens based systems at once.
yes? no?....  i'll let myself out....

That would be a nice solution, but I doubt it would be financially viable, as you would buy it, put it in one console (say a Sega Saturn), and then the extra hardware it contained to make it work on a dozen or more other consoles (say the Playstation, Neo-Geo CD, etc) would never get used, so you'd be paying for hardware that you'd never ever use.

If you have one flash cartridge* that worked on all cartridge based consoles, then you might get your money's worth, since you could just remove it from your SNES, put it in your Megadrive, play some Megadrive games, then remove it and put it in your N64 and play some N64 games, etc.

But with an ODE, you mostly have to solder it to the console's board, so most people wouldn't be happy, say, unsoldering the ODE from their Playstation and soldering it to their Saturn when they wanted to play some Saturn games.

You're right, though, a universal ODE, if it were priced reasonably enough, would be brilliant. I just don't think it's possible to bring the price down that much, especially given how few people, relatively speaking, would want one. If they could be sure of selling ten million of them, then I'd imagine someone could make one that was attractively priced, though.

* I know, a universal flash cartridge would be too expensive, and have a dozen different ports meaning it would be big and uncomfortably shaped, but you get my point.

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #712 on: December 16, 2016, 07:54 PM »
I think a Sega CD or Turbo Grafx/PCE CD application is very doable.  It might be a might expensive due to the FGPA needed, but today's chips are plenty powerful enough to emulate the function of each sub-system. 

The transmission of data to MD/GEN would be straight forward, and could see a board/device simply plugged into the expansion slot.  Potential pitfalls?  Well, you'd have to see if the unit can draw enough power from the system to work, or if power can even be drawn through the expansion slot?  For Stereo sound, would the unit need stereo output jacks as well as a mix jack for Model 1 systems?

Turbo CD would need to interface with the pin outs in the back of the console.  There's also a device that does that, the new/aftermarket one that does RGB output.  Less pitfalls in my view.  Again, both implementations are possible and probably will sell for Krikzz.  Given that both utilize standard CD's, they are likely a lot easier to develop than later CD systems like Playstation or Saturn. 

Offline haightc

• View Profile
« Reply #713 on: January 13, 2017, 03:50 AM »
what you are thinking is a more a device emulator like the Rhea/Pheobe (Saturn), GDEMU dreamcast and 3do drive and gekko drive.    It might be nice to have these for the systems that don't have them like Sega and turbo CD and CD-I.    I don't think this is realistically in the scope of Krikzz's products though as they require hardware modification. 

What I would rather see is improvement on existing everdrive, for example

Turbo Everdrive: save management and save states, perhaps even having enough ram to emulate the arcade card.
Master Everdrive: lot's of room for improvment here, more mappers please! The homebrew scene on SMS scene is active although much of it can't be played on the everdrive :(    Also I would love to have built-in FM support!   I think these two factors have kept me from buying this cart yet.
Everdrive NES: ROM has become big enough space had runout to add more support.   I would nice if there was room to finish adding more mappers.
MegaEverdrive X7 continue to expand out support, it would be nice if save states worked on 32x as well.

Also in Krikzz doesn't have interest in continuing the develop an everdrive it would be nice to allow the community to contribute to it development, I am looking at you Master Everdrive.

Offline slb

• View Profile
« Reply #714 on: February 13, 2017, 02:53 PM »
Hello Thanks for your work krikzz.
What is your futur everdrive please?

Offline wolfpacleader1986

• View Profile
« Reply #715 on: April 06, 2017, 06:16 AM »
I was just talking about this when I did my YouTube video on my new backlit Neo-Geo Pocket a Color and Flash Masta cart.

I'd love to see Krikzz do an Everdrive for the Neo-Geo Pocket Color. It may be a hard sell for him though as it only had maybe 80-90 games released for it. But still, it's a community worth selling to as there were a LOT of good, but expensive games made for that system.

I know Flash Masta also makes one for the Wonderswan, but to me, the only reason to own one is for the Final Fantasy games, but those are also on the GBA which does have an Everdrive.

Offline Wolf_

• View Profile
« Reply #716 on: April 11, 2017, 10:21 AM »
I think a Sega CD or Turbo Grafx/PCE CD application is very doable.  It might be a might expensive due to the FGPA needed, but today's chips are plenty powerful enough to emulate the function of each sub-system. 

The transmission of data to MD/GEN would be straight forward, and could see a board/device simply plugged into the expansion slot.  Potential pitfalls?  Well, you'd have to see if the unit can draw enough power from the system to work, or if power can even be drawn through the expansion slot?  For Stereo sound, would the unit need stereo output jacks as well as a mix jack for Model 1 systems?

Turbo CD would need to interface with the pin outs in the back of the console.  There's also a device that does that, the new/aftermarket one that does RGB output.  Less pitfalls in my view.  Again, both implementations are possible and probably will sell for Krikzz.  Given that both utilize standard CD's, they are likely a lot easier to develop than later CD systems like Playstation or Saturn.

This seems like the most practical way to do it. The cartridge would have the advantage of not needing an fpga for any mappers because cds have no hardware on them so it would be a one size fits all for the cd addon replacement. Basically you have the fpga imitate the cd hardware and it just needs to read the cd isos and everything is good to go. If the console gives enough power to work the original hardware and cd laser/tray then it should have enough power to work with modern tech that is more power efficient and also running less things.

Offline skaman

• View Profile
« Reply #717 on: April 11, 2017, 10:50 AM »
New Everdrive GB coming:  https://t.co/qBt9x9qzVv

Offline Mad Hatter

• View Profile
« Reply #718 on: April 11, 2017, 01:39 PM »
A new GB Everdrive? Interesting. What can he add to the  GB Everdrive already? I thought it was already pretty complete.
Mega EverDrive x7, EverDrive-GB X7, SD2SNES Original, EZ Flash IV, R4i-SDHC

Offline EthanW

• EthanW
  • Was "Ridj"
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: April 11, 2017, 07:24 PM »
A new GB Everdrive? Interesting. What can he add to the  GB Everdrive already? I thought it was already pretty complete.
he could add savestates.
Everdrives i own: EDN8, EDGB, EDGBx7, EDGBAx5, EDGG