Author Topic: the next everdrive?  (Read 366626 times)

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: the next everdrive?
« Reply #780 on: July 02, 2020, 12:58 PM »
I would love to see the next Everdrive for NeoGeo Pocket and, after that, for WonderSwan.
+1

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #781 on: July 02, 2020, 03:00 PM »
i would like to see a a new tg-16/pc engine cart which plays all cd game versions aswell as hucards. i know terra onion has a product which does this but it is expensive and i would prefer an everdrive with these features.
 i decided not to buy a mega-sd from terra onion but i was tempted for the sega cd support but i made the right choice in not rushing in with the mega-sd because krikzz has made the mega everdrive pro with sega cd support. the same for tg-16/pc engine would be great and probably cheaper then the terra onion product. just like the mega everdrive pro is cheaper than the mega-sd.
 my first choice for next everdrive was always atari jaguar but i recently received my jaguar gamedrive which is made by saint and it is a great product and not too expensive price like terra onion products so jaguar is covered.
 i'm not bashing terra onion in any way. i just feel that the products are overpriced. maybe they have good reason but if krikzz can deliver a product with same funtions at way cheaper price then it has to be everdrive range for me everytime.

Offline rouken

• View Profile
« Reply #782 on: July 02, 2020, 07:28 PM »
But I would love to see some kind of Everdrive SS (for Sega Saturn), not to load ISOs, but to do some crazy features, like:
1) Have the ROMs of Ultraman and KoF'95 cartridge pre-burned and ready to select;
2) Suport for RAM expansion, with 1MB and 4MB selectable (or disabled);
3) Backup cartridge support (to be used by the compatible games and the Sega Saturn system);
4) Data Bank (for saves) support (separated from the Backup cartridge function);
5) Import/Export saves from the backup / data bank to a conected SD card;
6) Homebrew launcher from a conected SD card;
7) Region lock breaker;
8) Action Replay codes supported.

Do you mean something like this? but made by Krikzz?

Half that... The Action Replay Plus have the following features:
  • 4MB RAM;
  • Cheat Codes;
  • Save backup function.

Without counting the old versions of this Action Replay Plus have a port for updates, who was used to connect other homebrew devices.

But there's some notes:

1) The cartridge don't have an auto 1Mb/4Mb function. It's full 4Mb. That means some SNK games who asks the 1Mb cartridge will show some graphical glitches. I have a 1Mb/4Mb cartridge with switches, who let me select 1Mb or 4Mb manually. I think some kind of controller command / menu option / disc check could be better options, but I'm ok with switches.

2) The Save backup functions don't make the ARP work as a Backup cartridge. It works more like a Save Bank, who is good and bad at the same time. The good part is you have a separate place to backup the saves, who is inacessible to the console or the games. The bad part is it don't work as a backup cartridge. So, compatible games will not recognize the cartridge and save data on it.

I'll list again what an Everdrive SS could feature, with explanations:

1) Have the ROMs of Ultraman and KoF'95 cartridge pre-burned and ready to select:
Ultraman and KoF'95 are games who combine ROM cartridge with CD. As they have dedicated ROM cartridge each. That means each game was splited between the disc and the cartridge, and you can not have access of those game with the disc alone. Make an Everdrive SS have these games with burned ROMs for that games pre-installed will be very interesting, but it also can have some legal problems. The "legal" choice here is the user to have the ROMs, and the Everdrive SS have the option to flash the ROMs into its memory. It could be cool to flash homebrew games and softwares.

As said before, there's games who runs only with the 1MB cartridge (most SNK games), only with 4MB cartridges (most some Capcom games), and games who have optional support to use the 1MB cartridge (Marvel Super Heroes, Cyberbots) or both 1MB and 4MB cartridge (Pocket Fighter, Astra Super Star). And some SNK games who runs only with the 1MB cartridge shows some graphical glitches if it be played with the 4MB cartridge stead (Metal Slug, Samurai Shodown IV). It would be nice to have the option to let the user select which RAM will use, or just disable it.

3) Backup cartridge support (to be used by the compatible games and the Sega Saturn system);
The backup cartridge is what it is: It is an extended memory option to save your game's progress. Not all the Sega Saturn games are compatible with this cartridge, who means the games make use of the console's internal memory to save the game's progress is not necessarily compatible with the cartridge, while the others are. Some games even make use of the bigger memory size to create huge save files who can not fit inside the console's internal memory alone, as create ghost files in some racing games, who askes about 900 blocks, or even Fantasy Zone, who can create up to two replay files who askes more than 2.000 blocks each.

4) Data Bank (for saves) support (separated from the Backup cartridge function);
It works as said above: It's is a place to backup your saves and keep then safe and inacessible to the console/games (must access a specific menu to backup/restore the saves). It's important for some games who asks a lot of work to unlock secrets, including those who asks a certain number of hours of play time to unlock secrets (Asuka 120%, Fighters Megamix). In the Action Replay, the saves are locked inside the cartridge's memory, but with the Everdrive SS.

It's the option to backup/restore saves from the console's internal memory or backup cartridge, or even the data bank to the SD card and vice-versa. Professor Abrasive's Satiator will have this same feature of transfer saves from the Saturn's internal memory (and backup cartridge?) to the device's SD card. If you think about it, it's really necessary a Data Bank backup function to the cartridge, if you can have the option to backup saves directly to the SD card?

It what it is: Instead of burn the homebrew into a CD, the user have the option to launch from the Everdrive SS. I think it could work in the same way as flashing a ROM into the cartridge, but it could be different from how the CD's data is not a single file ROM.

7) Region lock breaker;
Play games from other regions in a locked Sega Saturn system. It can even defeat the copy protection system like the Pseudo Saturn Kai.

Cheat codes? Why not? I always need to put infinity life to the 2nd player to create Traning Mode in fighting games who don't have this kind of mode.

But, in general, an Everdrive SS could work more as a multi-task device (including flash ROM feature) than a dedicated flash cartridge with some extra functions.

I don't think if an Everdrive SS could be more efficient using switches to select some functions, of by holding buttons during boot section, or using a menu, but it could be amazing if the cartridge could have some kind of code-forced function to auto-select some of functions. With Professor Abrasive's Satiator on the way, is could be amazing if a combined team work of these two devices could occour for a better quality of life experience, like... Before selecting one game using the Satiator, open a specific menu and active options to make the Everdrive SS enter in a specific mode when that game load. Example: Set X-Men VS Street Fighter to make the Everdrive SS enter in 4MB mode each time this game is loaded; Set Sakura Wars to enter in Backup Cartridge Mode each time the game is loaded; etc...

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #783 on: July 02, 2020, 10:14 PM »
I would love to see the next Everdrive for NeoGeo Pocket and, after that, for WonderSwan.

Next, for Atari 2600, Atari Lynx and Atari Jaguar.

After that, maybe some revision for the Turbo Everdrive.

But I would love to see some kind of Everdrive SS (for Sega Saturn), not to load ISOs, but to do some crazy features, like:
1) Have the ROMs of Ultraman and KoF'95 cartridge pre-burned and ready to select;
7) Region lock breaker;

RetroHQ UK already HAS a NGPC flashcart.  https://www.retrohq.co.uk/products/neo-geo-pocket-neopocket-gamedrive-flash-cartridge

RetroHQ UK already HAS a Lynx flashcart.  https://www.retrohq.co.uk/products/atari-lynx-gamedrive-eeprom-flash-cartridge

RetroHQ UK already HAS a Jaguar flashcart.  https://www.retrohq.co.uk/products/atari-jaguar-gd-flash-cartridge

Atari Age's Harmony cart for the Atari 2600 is a perfect device.  https://harmony.atariage.com/Site/Harmony.html

I won't even comment on the Saturn request because that won't sell.  Not to mention there's soon to be FOUR competing devices for that plus Pseudo Saturn. 

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: July 03, 2020, 03:50 AM »
Half that... The Action Replay Plus have the following features:
  • 4MB RAM;
  • Cheat Codes;
  • Save backup function.
The Action replay plus also has Region lock breaker BTW

1) The cartridge don't have an auto 1Mb/4Mb function. It's full 4Mb. That means some SNK games who asks the 1Mb cartridge will show some graphical glitches. I have a 1Mb/4Mb cartridge with switches, who let me select 1Mb or 4Mb manually. I think some kind of controller command / menu option / disc check could be better options, but I'm ok with switches.
I didn't know this, in fact all the marketing about the features of this product say that it has automatic 1M/4M RAM switching. So are they lying? Or they sell a faulty/incomplete product?

Can you give more details about this switch? It's a mod you did to your cartridge or it came this way from the factory?
Thanks

WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline rouken

• View Profile
« Reply #785 on: July 03, 2020, 04:59 AM »
RetroHQ UK already HAS a NGPC flashcart.  https://www.retrohq.co.uk/products/neo-geo-pocket-neopocket-gamedrive-flash-cartridge

RetroHQ UK already HAS a Lynx flashcart.  https://www.retrohq.co.uk/products/atari-lynx-gamedrive-eeprom-flash-cartridge

RetroHQ UK already HAS a Jaguar flashcart.  https://www.retrohq.co.uk/products/atari-jaguar-gd-flash-cartridge

Atari Age's Harmony cart for the Atari 2600 is a perfect device.  https://harmony.atariage.com/Site/Harmony.html

Harmony is a product everybody says good things. The other devices from RetroHQ UK are nice they exist, but I would love dedicated Everdrive for those systems to expect something with the same quality and functions as in the existing Everdrives.

If you look for the idea of "there's already a flash card for that system, so no need for a Everdrive for it", so krikzz had no need to release a Mega Everdrive Pro, once the Mega SD existed before it... But he did the job, and between choose one of the two to get, I go to the Everdrive.

I won't even comment on the Saturn request because that won't sell.  Not to mention there's soon to be FOUR competing devices for that plus Pseudo Saturn.

I think you jumped my last post, so I'll explain better...

The "FOUR competing devices" are just optical drive emulators, who askes to mod the system to install them, and compatible with specific models, except for the Satiator, who is a plug-and-play device compatible with any Sega Saturn model (and my personal choice). Even so, even if you can load disc images from those devices, some relevant Sega Saturn games askes for expansions from the cartridge slot, so any optical drive emulator will not be able to offer a complete experience alone.

Ask about special cartridges for the Sega Saturn for the Sega Saturn fans... There's a lot: The Backup cartridge, the 1MB RAM, the 4MB RAM, the KoF'95 ROM cartridge, the Ultraman ROM cartridge, and the Action Replay Plus are must have in any collection. Put in this pack other cartridges, like a modded boot cartridge to load the Pseudo Saturn Kai, or the Gamer's Cartridge. Now ask for any Sega Saturn owner if they don't like to get an all-in-one cartridge, with all the features from the cartridges cited, plus some extras. So, you can't tell it won't sell for sure... And I can't tell it will sell for sure. But my personal answer is: I'M WAITING FOR IT, even having all the essential cartridges in my collection, nothing can beat an all-in-one cartridge to keep it inserted in my console... And I'm not counting other things like backup the saves into the SD card, or simulate the Saturn Floppy Disc Drive. Who knows if it's possible to even run ROMs of Sega Titan Video into the Saturn (but I believe it's not possible to run ST-V ROMs into the Saturn, but who knows)...

The idea of an Everdrive for the Sega Saturn is to work as a multi-purpose device than a ISO loader (that was never the main point, specially because it was discursed it won't be viable to load ISOs from the cartridge slot before). As I said in my last post, using an Everdrive SS with the multi-purpose concept combined the Satiator will be the ultimate Duo for the Sega Saturn system: One load the games, and the other do the expansions switch. And it will be even better if the switch of the cartridge functions can also be set by software commands. By the way, there's a video where Professor Abrasive comment about flashing an Action Replay cartridge with a specific tool (like the Pseudo Saturn Kai) to work combined with the Satiator. So, an Everdrive SS with all features cited can be even better than a flashed AR cartridge with some functions.

And by the way, the main purpose of the Pseudo Saturn Kai is to enable non-modded Sega Saturn systems to play CD-R games in any region. Of course there's other functions, but lack others (extra RAM, etc...). There's the Gamer's Cartridge, who is a SD Card cartridge with the same purpose of the Psedo Saturn Kai, plus the use of the SD Card to load homebrews or to work as a regular backup cartridge (with not an 100% of compatibility).

The Action replay plus also has Region lock breaker BTW

It too... :-P

I didn't know this, in fact all the marketing about the features of this product say that it has automatic 1M/4M RAM switching. So are they lying? Or they sell a faulty/incomplete product?

In fact, the SNK games runs normal, but sometimes the graphics do some glitch in some (not all) sprites, but it do not crashes the game. So, SNK games will work, but with this visual problem. I think the "auto" 1M/4M thing is just false marketing, because the cartridge must, first, recognize the disc's contents to make the change of which memory size will select, and I believe this thing do not exist in this cartridge. Metal Slug and Samurai Shodown IV are examples I had in the past...

Can you give more details about this switch? It's a mod you did to your cartridge or it came this way from the factory?
Thanks

In fact I forget I have two cartridges, and both are identified with the code SSH-32-5188: A light grey one with the switch from the factory, and one dark gray with no switch from the factory, but with a installed switch. This last one with the installed switch I forget I had, probably I got it in a online marketplace with it already installed.

I search for some info of this cartridge with this code (SSH-32-5188), and I found the pictures of the light grey cartridge at Sega Retro: Front and Back. The dark grey one I have is like this, but with the same label of the light grey one, and with no holes for the switches (the previous owner had to make a hole into the cartridge to install a long metal switch into the cartridge's corner). Also, there's a variation with three switches (I found pictures here).

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: July 03, 2020, 05:48 AM »
Thanks for the info Rouken.
I thought you had an EMS Action Replay with the switches  :'(
That weird cartridge looks hard to find.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #787 on: July 03, 2020, 06:15 AM »
Harmony is a product everybody says good things. The other devices from RetroHQ UK are nice they exist, but I would love dedicated Everdrive for those systems to expect something with the same quality and functions as in the existing Everdrives.

If you look for the idea of "there's already a flash card for that system, so no need for a Everdrive for it", so krikzz had no need to release a Mega Everdrive Pro, once the Mega SD existed before it... But he did the job, and between choose one of the two to get, I go to the Everdrive.

Firstly, those systems are not exactly trivial to program for, and they have tiny user bases compared to what Krikzz currently supplies for.  He's free to tackle them, but it wouldn't make a ton of financial sense.  For that matter, he ought to hit up the Virtual Boy.  Though the DS/3DS I should think would be his next go since they have massive user bases.  Lastly, the RetroHQ carts are really, really, really good.  You won't be disappointed.  Right now the owner has had to restructure his distribution but in a few months he'll have quantities widely available. 

I think you jumped my last post, so I'll explain better...

The "FOUR competing devices" are just optical drive emulators, who askes to mod the system to install them, and compatible with specific models, except for the Satiator, who is a plug-and-play device compatible with any Sega Saturn model (and my personal choice). Even so, even if you can load disc images from those devices, some relevant Sega Saturn games askes for expansions from the cartridge slot, so any optical drive emulator will not be able to offer a complete experience alone.

Ask about special cartridges for the Sega Saturn for the Sega Saturn fans... There's a lot: The Backup cartridge, the 1MB RAM, the 4MB RAM, the KoF'95 ROM cartridge, the Ultraman ROM cartridge, and the Action Replay Plus are must have in any collection. Put in this pack other cartridges, like a modded boot cartridge to load the Pseudo Saturn Kai, or the Gamer's Cartridge. Now ask for any Sega Saturn owner if they don't like to get an all-in-one cartridge, with all the features from the cartridges cited, plus some extras. So, you can't tell it won't sell for sure... And I can't tell it will sell for sure. But my personal answer is: I'M WAITING FOR IT, even having all the essential cartridges in my collection, nothing can beat an all-in-one cartridge to keep it inserted in my console... And I'm not counting other things like backup the saves into the SD card, or simulate the Saturn Floppy Disc Drive. Who knows if it's possible to even run ROMs of Sega Titan Video into the Saturn (but I believe it's not possible to run ST-V ROMs into the Saturn, but who knows)...

The idea of an Everdrive for the Sega Saturn is to work as a multi-purpose device than a ISO loader (that was never the main point, specially because it was discursed it won't be viable to load ISOs from the cartridge slot before). As I said in my last post, using an Everdrive SS with the multi-purpose concept combined the Satiator will be the ultimate Duo for the Sega Saturn system: One load the games, and the other do the expansions switch. And it will be even better if the switch of the cartridge functions can also be set by software commands. By the way, there's a video where Professor Abrasive comment about flashing an Action Replay cartridge with a specific tool (like the Pseudo Saturn Kai) to work combined with the Satiator. So, an Everdrive SS with all features cited can be even better than a flashed AR cartridge with some functions.

And by the way, the main purpose of the Pseudo Saturn Kai is to enable non-modded Sega Saturn systems to play CD-R games in any region. Of course there's other functions, but lack others (extra RAM, etc...). There's the Gamer's Cartridge, who is a SD Card cartridge with the same purpose of the Psedo Saturn Kai, plus the use of the SD Card to load homebrews or to work as a regular backup cartridge (with not an 100% of compatibility).

I knew exactly what you meant, but I just don't think the development time and effort is going to yield much in return for Krikzz.  I agree a cart like that would be good to have, but we don't even know if it's possible to do all of those functions with one device?  I personally would like to get a RAM cart with game saving that didn't look like ass (Action Replay) ha ha ha.  Just not sure Krikzz is the ideal candidate.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 06:52 AM by Greg2600 »

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile
« Reply #788 on: July 03, 2020, 08:22 AM »
RetroHQ makes indeed very good stuff. No doubt about this.
As far as i know, the Jaguar GameDrive isn't available for now.

Offline rouken

• View Profile
« Reply #789 on: July 03, 2020, 03:05 PM »
Firstly, those systems are not exactly trivial to program for, and they have tiny user bases compared to what Krikzz currently supplies for.  He's free to tackle them, but it wouldn't make a ton of financial sense.  For that matter, he ought to hit up the Virtual Boy.  Though the DS/3DS I should think would be his next go since they have massive user bases.  Lastly, the RetroHQ carts are really, really, really good.  You won't be disappointed.  Right now the owner has had to restructure his distribution but in a few months he'll have quantities widely available.

I believe krikzz do the Everdrive thing more for a challenger or fun or love than to selling numbers. Anything krikzz will do, he will sell, more for others systems than anothers... Krikzz said once the Everdrive for Game Gear is the one with the lowest selling numbers and, even so, this device got a X7 revision with a plastic shell and every care as a top-selling Everdrive have (and not much time ago, this Everdrive was the only one still selling just the PCB).

So, even if a NeoGeo Pocket or a WonderSwan or any other not-so-popular system who get a Everdrive don't get high selling numbers, I believe it will get interest of these users, even if they already have a flash cart from other sources...

About the DS and 3DS... I believe those systems already have what they need. The 3DS can be just modded to load ROMs and other apps/plugins from the microSD slot, and dedicated cartridges can let a non-modded 3DS to be banned from the internet connection. From the DS side, there's a lot of good flash carts, from the R4 to the Acekard, combined with some custom firmwares. I don't follow the DS flash scene from years, and some of these flash carts can not being in production anymore, who can open the door for a new dedicated DS flash cart... If it's the case, I just hope a flash card who is able to enable DSi-enhaced games to run these games in this enhaced mode when played in a DSi.

I knew exactly what you meant, but I just don't think the development time and effort is going to yield much in return for Krikzz.  I agree a cart like that would be good to have, but we don't even know if it's possible to do all of those functions with one device?  I personally would like to get a RAM cart with game saving that didn't look like ass (Action Replay) ha ha ha.  Just not sure Krikzz is the ideal candidate.

Well... I know it's not possible to have an all-in-one cartridge offering all functions at the same time. That's why a physical switch or special menu could be the way to go... combined with the option to let software commands overcome manual selections temporarily. Think about the Satiator or other device loading a game and communicating with the cartridge: "Hey, Everdrive SS... I'm loading Street Fighter ZERO 3 and the user set everytime I load this game you must leave the actual mode and enter in 4MB mode. Well... I'm loading this game now. Do your job!!"

And, by the way, the Action Replay saving feature is just a bad marketing... It's not a Backup feature to make the cartridge runs like the official Backup cartridge. It just works as a save bank. As I said before, it's bad and good at the same time. It's bad because you still need an official backup cartridge if you want to have bigger save space and make use of some special save features in some games, and the Action Replay don't do it. But the good part is you can keep a copy of a precious save safe, who is important for games you spend a lot of playtime, or for games who are an ass to unlock things, like time release secrets found in Asuka 120% (20 hours of gameplay) or Fighters Megamix (84 hours of gameplay!!!). Even you can use an official backup cartridge in the same way, who knows if something happens, like overwrite the save...

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #790 on: July 04, 2020, 02:34 AM »
yeah i don't think the jaguar gamedrive is available yet but saint sent out around 50 maybe more to uk customers who had pre ordered. it seems the main plan for this was to get feedback and some/if any bug reports.
 i pre ordered my jag gamedrive around august 2019 i think it was and i was lucky to be one of the ones who received one.
 it is a great product. very good build quality and works great so far.
 i'm really thankful to saint for making this flashcart because no one else was making one. krikzz did not express interest in the project and yeah it's a lot of effort for a small user base with not such a big financial return so it's understandable.

Offline ThunderForce

• View Profile
« Reply #791 on: August 19, 2020, 06:05 PM »
After the price reveal of Satiator that probably disappointed everyone, I think there is a ample space for a cheaper plug and play device, maybe it's time for Saturn Everdrive!

Offline Relikk

• View Profile
« Reply #792 on: August 19, 2020, 10:31 PM »
MODE and Fenrir already have that covered. No point in wasting time and resources on products that are already available. Maybe if it was only one solution, but there are two solutions at different price points.

Offline ThunderForce

• View Profile
« Reply #793 on: August 19, 2020, 11:11 PM »
MODE and Fenrir already have that covered. No point in wasting time and resources on products that are already available. Maybe if it was only one solution, but there are two solutions at different price points.

Not really, Satiator is the only plug and play solution where you don't need to mod your console and throw away your disc drive.

We need more plug and play solutions like this, but possibly way cheaper.
Also Satiator (just like and ODE around) seems very barebones with features, while usually krikzz products are the most complete around.

In future krikzz would jump also on Saturn and Dreamcast, no reason not to, but I hope it will be sooner than later.

Offline EcLlPsE

• View Profile
« Reply #794 on: November 24, 2020, 04:53 PM »
Krizz since I saw your post on twitter about RGB output on famicom av without mod. Every day I look to see if you announce its launch. Do you have it in mind? or do I have to forget that?  :'(
Thanks!!