Author Topic: 3DO Russian usb ode questions.  (Read 4905 times)

Offline nastc1

• View Profile
3DO Russian usb ode questions.
« on: August 02, 2019, 09:20 AM »
Has anyone purchased a USB host mod from Russia for 3DO? I put an order in for one. From my understanding it’s an “ODE” type usb mod. I purchased a Japanese FZ-1 with the A/B switch for 480i/240p and a retrotink 2x for the s-video input. Also wondering if the mod works for said console(Pretty sure it will). And how well does retrotink work with 3DO? Do I need a special ac adapter for using the Japanese 3DO in USA?(Like using Sega 32x ac adapter for my Japanese Turbo Duo-R) Kind of odd questions but figured I’d ask here. Someone here has to have went through these motions with a 3DO before. Thanks!

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 3DO Russian usb ode questions.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 11:35 AM »
If you have an FZ-1, you might need a step down converter to take the 120VAC to the required 100VAC the FZ-1 is expecting. I believe most FZ-1s are straight plug in (read: internal power supply). You can use it as is, but avoid leaving it plugged in after playing.

I've been tempted to order one of those ODEs (both for the 3DO and the Dreamcast), but I've heard that they're all built to order, so there is a lot of wait time after ordering. I've read of customers waiting for several months for their order to even begin to process.

I'm not familiar with the retrotink (I'm using an OSSC), so I'd be of no help there. My 3DOs (I have both an FZ-1 and an FZ-10) are both stock.

Offline nastc1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 02:04 PM »
I will try to find a reliable step down converter for that purpose just in case. I have an ossc but I ordered the retrotink for the 3do alone because of its s video port. I wanted to avoid having to do an RGB mod on the system. And the reason I bought the Japanese FZ-1 is to avoid having to do the 240p mod. Seems like I just need that step down converter and I’ll be all set up. The USB host FZ-1 ODE is also insanely easy to install compared to the FZ-10 ODE, from checking out the videos. There is a fairly recent video and the guy said he received it 11 days after he ordered it. Hopefully I’ll have a similar experience. I have a Rhea and PSIO Saturn and PSX. I love them so now I’m hooked on these things. I may even replace my RGB Duo-R with a Super SD System 3. I’ll report back if and when the USB host mod shows up from Russia. Thanks for the reply!

Offline nastc1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 07:51 PM »
I ordered a powerbright 120v to 100v step down converter. Has pretty good reviews, and someone specifically stated they use it for their Japanese consoles. Perfect. And less than 20 bucks. 8)

Offline nastc1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 04:15 PM »
The USB host mod showed up from Russia today! About 2 weeks. Not bad at all. If you want one I would take the dive. Now I just need the 3do to show up. Which was in NY 8/16. I’m in pa, so it’s not far.

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 05:36 PM »
https://atariage.com/forums/topic/275218-is-anyone-selling-the-usb-stick-adapters-for-3do-currently/?do=findComment&comment=4237356

That's what I did with a US-FZ-1 and this device.  I had the 240p switch installed and rather than cut a hole in my CD drive bezel, I ran a USB extension cable to the side and put it there.  I got the cable off the web, it's one you would use to install in a car dash.  I also had the caps changed, to be safe, though doing so did fix the CD drive (which I'm no longer using anyway).

Offline nastc1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 03:37 AM »
https://atariage.com/forums/topic/275218-is-anyone-selling-the-usb-stick-adapters-for-3do-currently/?do=findComment&comment=4237356

That's what I did with a US-FZ-1 and this device.  I had the 240p switch installed and rather than cut a hole in my CD drive bezel, I ran a USB extension cable to the side and put it there.  I got the cable off the web, it's one you would use to install in a car dash.  I also had the caps changed, to be safe, though doing so did fix the CD drive (which I'm no longer using anyway).

Oh wow, I didn't even think about recapping...Are the caps on the FZ-1's known to go bad/leak? How easy would it be to recap it myself?(with no experience recapping) Or how much would a recap cost somewhere? As far as the USB mod. I got the external version to cut the usb slot into the front. I feel like the 3DOs are still cheap enough that it's replaceable. I got the external version to have easy access to the thumb-drive. I do think I like what you did better though for sure. I never thought of just getting a little usb extension cord for the internal version, that's pretty dang smart.

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 07:56 AM »

Oh wow, I didn't even think about recapping...Are the caps on the FZ-1's known to go bad/leak? How easy would it be to recap it myself?(with no experience recapping) Or how much would a recap cost somewhere? As far as the USB mod. I got the external version to cut the usb slot into the front. I feel like the 3DOs are still cheap enough that it's replaceable. I got the external version to have easy access to the thumb-drive. I do think I like what you did better though for sure. I never thought of just getting a little usb extension cord for the internal version, that's pretty dang smart.

Well I bought the "external" version, I just didn't cut the bezel up.  All it is different is he gives you blank PCB that you affix the bezel to.  The device itself is the same, you just mount it in the front for external and the back (of the drive bay) for internal. 

Caps go bad on a lot of early 90's systems, and CD-based systems are affected more.  Like I said, it was obvious they were bad (discs couldn't be read).  I'm in NJ, and I have my friend Leo at Digital Press in Springfield, NJ, fix all my systems.  He did the 240p switch mod too.  The cap kit wasn't that much, and he did the labor at a reasonable price. 

Offline nastc1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 05:12 PM »
I ordered one of those usb cables you linked on AtariAge. I think I’m definitely going to install the same way you did. Yours looks so clean. I’ll also look around for local shops who can do a recap for longevity. Thanks for all of the information.

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 08:07 PM »
I ordered one of those usb cables you linked on AtariAge. I think I’m definitely going to install the same way you did. Yours looks so clean. I’ll also look around for local shops who can do a recap for longevity. Thanks for all of the information.

Just be aware the VDP chip I have may not be the same as yours, they used several of them, and the pins to solder for 240p may not be the same.  I had help with that on Assembler Games forum, the user Taijigamer2 is pretty expert.

Offline nastc1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 08:52 PM »

Just be aware the VDP chip I have may not be the same as yours, they used several of them, and the pins to solder for 240p may not be the same.  I had help with that on Assembler Games forum, the user Taijigamer2 is pretty expert.

I should be fine for the VDP chip if I have the Japanese FZ-1 with a native 240p switch on the back right? I don’t need to do that mod.

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 10:36 PM »

I should be fine for the VDP chip if I have the Japanese FZ-1 with a native 240p switch on the back right? I don’t need to do that mod.

Ohhhhhh, I didn't realize it was one of those.  Yeah, those are hard to find, and you don't have to do anything. 

Offline nastc1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2019, 11:04 PM »
130 bucks on eBay. 50.00 shipping though because it’s coming directly from Japan. I even got a step down converter so it gets the correct Japanese voltage  ;D

Offline nastc1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2019, 04:04 AM »
I've got it installed and it works great! I'm really impressed by the quality of the 3DO's s-video output. I usually play these old systems on scart and this looks pretty close to that picture quality. Thanks to Greg for pointing me to your AtariAge thread and Goomba for suggesting the step down converter. Here's some pictures and wire spaghetti.

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2019, 02:41 AM »
 8) 8) 8) Nice!  I play on a CRT, but in testing we saw the 240p/480i difference immediately, like night and day.  There are RGB mods, but currently involve a lot of wire soldering.  The dude I mentioned, Taijigamer, was supposed to come up with a new technique and possibly a board to do it.  I think it's unnecessary.