Author Topic: Everdrive gb x3 Fat error  (Read 973 times)

Offline LuKiller09

• View Profile
Everdrive gb x3 Fat error
« on: August 14, 2019, 10:01 PM »
Hello, I had already put the same topic on this forum but nobody has managed to solve this problem so I ask again almost a year later.

When I save by pressing the button of the cartridge, it puts me very often Fat error and what forces me to extinguish my gbc and lose my save! Help me, I beg you  :'(

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
Re: Everdrive gb x3 Fat error
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 02:01 AM »
Have you tried deleting the SRAM (SRM games) I had a similar issue and it was resolved in this link http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=8958.0
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline LuKiller09

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 11:21 AM »
 Thank you for the advice, it seems to work, I tell you if there is another problem of save.
By cons, I deleted a file called I think, recentlist01.SRM
But in the backups, all the files were called. SRM, is this normal?

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 10:41 PM »
Thank you for the advice, it seems to work, I tell you if there is another problem of save.
By cons, I deleted a file called I think, recentlist01.SRM
But in the backups, all the files were called. SRM, is this normal?

Yes because SRM is different to SAV files. I think at end of the day an everdrive is only as good as what it can contain even if you have a lot of SAV files they may sooner or later need to be removed or reduced to make sure the FAT error wont happen again.

It may be best to see if renaming a folder to keep the SAV and SRM files you want to not delete in a different folder than the default all games are remembered in for further reference, though the sad thing is even if settings are changed the memory feature will always create a back up game you used into that folder... of course for someone like me those over 2000 games remembered was just me checking out to see if they are compatible with the device they are on which I doubt in a normal gamers lifetime would end up in the issue I came across.

My problem was at the time I forgot to keep track of every GB/GBC/GBA and any game the GAB X5 Everdrive could run on... then again I did randomly try and organize what games would only work on GBC as opposed to the standard GB/GBC folder the rom sets are usually defaulted to.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 10:45 PM by Richardragon87 »

Post changed:

In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 01:49 PM »
Hmm? What's the difference between SRM and SAV files? From what I remember the Everdrive just saves a raw dump of the SRAM, so there are no special formats. For GBA it may be different because games uses battery-backed SRAM, EEPROM or flash to save. But for Game Boy pretty much every game uses battery-backed SRAM (maybe there are a few exceptions, I don't know).

In my experience the Everdrive does not keep the SRAM dump of games that doesn't have a battery (there is a flag in the rom header for battery that the Everdrive probably checks). I don't know about emulators though.
I have the original EDGB, not the X-series so there might be some differences.

I didn't know the Everdrives has a limit how many save files they can handle, but yes if you for some reason have a ridiculous amount of save files and the Everdrive doesn't work as expected anymore. I guess the solution is to backup all files you want to keep, reformat the SD card and then copy back files to the card again, but not too many save files. Also report the problem to Krikzz.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 07:13 PM »
Hmm? What's the difference between SRM and SAV files? From what I remember the Everdrive just saves a raw dump of the SRAM, so there are no special formats. For GBA it may be different because games uses battery-backed SRAM, EEPROM or flash to save. But for Game Boy pretty much every game uses battery-backed SRAM (maybe there are a few exceptions, I don't know).

In my experience the Everdrive does not keep the SRAM dump of games that doesn't have a battery (there is a flag in the rom header for battery that the Everdrive probably checks). I don't know about emulators though.
I have the original EDGB, not the X-series so there might be some differences.

I didn't know the Everdrives has a limit how many save files they can handle, but yes if you for some reason have a ridiculous amount of save files and the Everdrive doesn't work as expected anymore. I guess the solution is to backup all files you want to keep, reformat the SD card and then copy back files to the card again, but not too many save files. Also report the problem to Krikzz.

It's not the save files. It just seems that everdrives like to create a back up of any rom you play which is hard to remember it does that. So lets say you decide to play a Gameboy rom like Mario Land despite it not having a save feature the device will always remember your previous settings. Though from memory there really isn't anything that could be remembered on that game but it will still remember it which is how the FAT error comes to in the end.

I think future everdrives need a way to only be permitted to create a back up of the game if you so much like do it from a menu or save in game. It's not like creating a back up of all the games you play that don't have save states would do you any good... I presume it is vital for emulator games like playing SNES roms on a GBA or even playing NES games on a GBA with the save states and even GB series games which would remember the goomba settings it has but by default why does it need to remember every game you play?

Post changed:

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 12:44 AM »
It's not the save files. It just seems that everdrives like to create a back up of any rom you play which is hard to remember it does that. So lets say you decide to play a Gameboy rom like Mario Land despite it not having a save feature the device will always remember your previous settings.
I have no idea what you are talking about. You say it backups the roms (this has never happened to me) and not the save files? Then you talk about remembering settings, so you DO talk about some kind of save file after all?

I just tried loading Super Mario Land on my EDGB (the pre-X-series Everdrive) and then I power-cycled and loaded Tetris. No save files or any other files was created by doing this, since Super Mario Land is marked as a game that does not use battery backup RAM. All my other Everdrives also works like this.

Emulators like Goomba may make save files for each game to store save data, save state data and emulator settings or so in. But the Everdrive itself should not create save files for games that doesn't save.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 01:43 AM »
It's not the save files. It just seems that everdrives like to create a back up of any rom you play which is hard to remember it does that. So lets say you decide to play a Gameboy rom like Mario Land despite it not having a save feature the device will always remember your previous settings.
I have no idea what you are talking about. You say it backups the roms (this has never happened to me) and not the save files? Then you talk about remembering settings, so you DO talk about some kind of save file after all?

I just tried loading Super Mario Land on my EDGB (the pre-X-series Everdrive) and then I power-cycled and loaded Tetris. No save files or any other files was created by doing this, since Super Mario Land is marked as a game that does not use battery backup RAM. All my other Everdrives also works like this.

Emulators like Goomba may make save files for each game to store save data, save state data and emulator settings or so in. But the Everdrive itself should not create save files for games that doesn't save.

By back up the roms… I mean when you check your recent games played that's where the issue happens. You may just not notice it till many years later but each time you play a game the device will always remember what game you used and played or even saved. So lets say you decided to add a rom hack but found out the hack didn't match you expectations so you deleted it. The SRM can now never be deleted as the device cannot find the game you used to put on there.

So basically if you checked your folder which showed all the games played which I presume would be SAV or SAVE it will list a copy of every game you played on the evedrives lifetime though excluding when the device would be formatted and everything is wiped.

Over time the memory will eventually come up with the FAT error due to how many games have been remembered, I presume the sizes are really minimal and are not the same size as the rom itself as it's just remembering everything that has been loaded to it.

Post changed:

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 11:34 AM »
The recent game list is just a list you can use to load games you have played recently. I believe you can purge it by deleting a file in the system folder or something. Not all Everdrives has this feature though (my EDGB doesn't).

The Everdrives may also store things like cheat codes or save type settings for each rom. Save type wouldn't apply for Game Boy since there are only one type of save memory (battery SRAM), but N64 and GBA games do use various types of save memory.

If the Everdrive GB both have a .SAV and a .SRM file I would guess that the SRM is the game's own save file (battery SRAM) and the SAV stores either the above-mentioned settings or save states.

If this FAT error happens because you have deleted files and have some kind of save files that no longer has a matching rom, the FAT error should go away if you just backup all roms and save files (skipping any unused/unneeded save files), reformat the SD-card and then put a new copy of the latest OS (redownload it or uncompress it again if you already have the archive file) and also restore the backed up roms and save files in their respective folders.