Author Topic: GBA Sleep Issue  (Read 462 times)

Offline thtroyer

• View Profile
GBA Sleep Issue
« on: August 18, 2019, 03:44 AM »
I've have a possible Everdrive X5 issue with my GBA.

I have a self modded GBA (AGS101 clone screen with Bennvenn's voltage regulator and brightness controller).

Everything works as expected except when I use a game's sleep mode with the Everdrive. I can wake the Gameboy back up as expected if I do it right away (L+R+Select). However, the longer it sits, the less likely it will wake up. After about five minutes, the GBA almost certainly won't wake up. The green light stays on, but no display or audio will resume.

This happens with all games I've tried on the Everdrive as well as PocketNES when it sleeps. I recently tried a real cart's sleep function (Super Mario Advance 2) several times today and the GBA would sleep for hours and woke up every time, so I don't think it's an issue with my Gameboy hardware.  I wish I had another device to test with, but at the moment, I don't.

So, are there any known issues with the Everdrive causing GBA sleep issues?  Any workarounds?  I've had the Everdrive since October last year   (purchased through RetroModding) and I believe I updated the firmware when I got it.

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile
Re: GBA Sleep Issue
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 04:43 AM »
Its your unofficial hardware as I just tried it with minish cap 10 mins in sleep mode on a GBA SP AGS-101 and no problems at all

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 07:15 AM »
I've have a possible Everdrive X5 issue with my GBA.

I have a self modded GBA (AGS101 clone screen with Bennvenn's voltage regulator and brightness controller).

Everything works as expected except when I use a game's sleep mode with the Everdrive. I can wake the Gameboy back up as expected if I do it right away (L+R+Select). However, the longer it sits, the less likely it will wake up. After about five minutes, the GBA almost certainly won't wake up. The green light stays on, but no display or audio will resume.

This happens with all games I've tried on the Everdrive as well as PocketNES when it sleeps. I recently tried a real cart's sleep function (Super Mario Advance 2) several times today and the GBA would sleep for hours and woke up every time, so I don't think it's an issue with my Gameboy hardware.  I wish I had another device to test with, but at the moment, I don't.

So, are there any known issues with the Everdrive causing GBA sleep issues?  Any workarounds?  I've had the Everdrive since October last year   (purchased through RetroModding) and I believe I updated the firmware when I got it.

Was there a way to turn off the sleep mode on PocketNES? I recall PCEAdvance (Premade version from Smokemonster) having a way to turn off Autosleep but I can't remember the latter having a way to do it... even more so SNESAdvance has no way to get out of sleep mode either.
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline thtroyer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 10:44 PM »
Its your unofficial hardware as I just tried it with minish cap 10 mins in sleep mode on a GBA SP AGS-101 and no problems at all

Well, that's hardly a conclusion at this point. If it were my modifications, I would expect sleep mode to be broken for all carts, but that's not the case.

I'm going to be doing another build (with one of those new IPS screens), so I'll have an unmodified GBA to test with in a week or so.

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 03:31 AM »
Okay I did some further research on how the sleep mode is avoided across all GBA modes on the X5 it varies amount emulators too

GBA = Sleep mode is deactivated when pressing L+R+Select in any game play mode this also counts for emulators

PocketSNES/SNESAdvance = Sleep mode cannot be turned off on this emulator but it seems pressing A and B and start and select stops it from going onto a black screen after a long time of inactiveness on a GBA.

PocketNES/VisualNES = This has an autosleep off feature so this will stop the device turning it self off no mater how long the device is left idle, if it goes into sleep mode the usual button input that Nintendo made with the NES classic series works here too.

PCEAdvance = This also has an autosleep off feature and as before I think you can get off the black screen doing the same input if it's left on.

SMSAdvance/GGAdvance = These both have an autosleep off feature just like the other emulators they can be left idle for as long as you want in gameplay and will never make the screen turn off as long as the feature is set to off.

NeoGeo Pocket = I haven't used this emulator for a long time but I don't think it ever had one

Goomba = As with the other emulators this also has the feature

Though speaking of Sleep Mode, I never really understood the reason why it was implemented way back on the near end of the Gameboy lines series of consoles. I could understand on a DS or 3DS it was vital as it ran on a rechargeable battery but the GBA used normal batteries excluding the SP and you could always replace them. Those handhelds were known to burn themselves out and have new batteries each and every time they were overused... so yeah the whole sleep mode thing seemed awkward for the GBA to me!

*Contrary to popular belief the device still goes into sleep mode even if the screen is not closed when on, having a genuine AGS-101 device and a more sturdy refurbished one which had an even brighter screen than the genuine one I tend to love using more did it*
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 01:51 PM by Richardragon87 »
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!