Author Topic: New Mega Everdrive X5 and 32X problem (different than the usual issues)  (Read 1525 times)

Offline eightbit

• View Profile
Hello,

I hope someone could shed some light on this. I recently purchased a Mega Everdrive X5 and am using it in a Genesis Model 1 NTSC unit with TMSS. It has been working fine. I found a good deal on a 32X unit and I received it today. I am no stranger to the 32X and issues it has, and this one had the black screen issues as usual. After cleaning it throughly and reseating and cleaning the cables the 32X now worked to get to the ROM select menu on the Mega Everdrive X5. I thought I was done....until I tried to load a game.

Loading a game (any game, 32X or standard Genesis ROM) will show the "loading" screen for a second or two and then immediately show "OS INIT" and bring me back to the rom select screen. I was sure this was a 32X problem and took it apart yet again, inspected the board for any visible issues, cleaned it again, and tried again. Same thing.

I was going to chalk this up to a defective 32X, but this is where it gets interesting. I still have an old EDMD (v2 I believe?) and I decided to try it there. Guess what. It works fine. All 32X games work fine as well as Genesis games. I have been running Virtua Racing Deluxe 32X for over an hour.

If I bring the Mega Everdrive X5 back to the unit it does the same as before. Just says "loading" when selecting a ROM, then "OS INIT" and then back to the menu selection. Now I know for a fact that the Genesis and the 32X are working fine (as they are working with the EDMD) it appears this Mega Everdrive X5 has a very unusual problem in that it will not launch games when connected to a 32X.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Can it be some defect in the Mega Everdrive X5 that I will need to contact Stone Age Gamer about for warranty?

Offline eightbit

• View Profile
I should add that the cart diagnostic passes tests and the system info says "yes" to 32X present. I am using an original power brick. I actually have two original power bricks for both the 32X and the Genesis model 1 and I have swapped them all. I have swapped the controllers. I have cleaned the Genesis and 32X cart pins thoroughly.

I only found one other post here in which someone had a similar problem and swapped their Genesis and it works. But I have only one Genesis so that is something I cannot do. So to recap:

1. Mega Everdrive X5 will load games when directly connected into the Genesis

2. It will load the menu, rom lists, and allow all menu things like diagnostics to work through the 32X

3. It will not play any game when connected through the 32X. Games "load" and then I am immediately returned to the rom select menu

4. An older EverdriveMD loads all games (32X and Genesis) through the 32X on this system...no problems at all

« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 02:51 AM by eightbit »

Offline eightbit

• View Profile
I guess this problem is not so different afterall:

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=6280.0

Much older post, but same issue as mine. Krikzz, do you have any ideas why this is happening? Could it be some strange compatibility issue with specific console revisions? I am unsure of my revision, but it is a TMSS model 1 and I know it is not a VA7 due to where the power port is. This really stinks, as I just purchased this Mega Everdrive X5 and the whole plan was to use it with a 32X setup.

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing
    • View Profile
Try using different SD cards.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline eightbit

• View Profile
Try using different SD cards.

I have already done this. I actually work for a manufacturer that makes SD cards, so I have access to many :) I have tested half a dozen cards, same result. I will also add that I have tested previous versions of the MegaOS going back to v3.00...when the X5 support was added. Trust me when I say I have done everything in my power to troubleshoot this problem. For now I am just using the old EDMD to play games with this as it is working....but of course I purchased the X5 because of its faster loading and I want to get it to work.

This issue is not as simple as it may seem. It is not a hardware (Genesis/32X hardware) or SD media issue. I suspect this is some sort of compatibility issue with the 32X and Genesis mixed with the X5....or at least a compatibility issue with certain revisions of the Genesis and 32X mixed with the X5. I am not sure how easy it will be to find the problem, but I am hoping. I will test another Genesis model during the week to see if that makes a difference, but I think some deeper troubleshooting is going to be required.

Does anyone else have a model 1 TMSS Genesis and a 32X (and a Mega Everdrive X5) that are using it successfully?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 08:38 AM by eightbit »

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
I have 2 NTSC VA6 model 1 that works fine with my 32x and X5 built in 2016.

My 32x had save issues, it was a pin not making connection between the 32x and the cartridge, between the console and 32x the connection was working. Check the ribbon cables again.

Did you tried with class 10 sd cards? The x series is picky with sd cards at times.

Offline eightbit

• View Profile
Yes, all of the cards I am testing are class 10. The cards work fine when the X5 is plugged into the Genesis directly, so highly unlikely this is a card issue.

I emailed the person who posted in 2017 having the same issue (link to thread in my earlier post) and his solution was to get another 32X. I have a feeling that the Mega Everdrive X5 has some sort of compatibility issue with whatever revision 32X this is. I highly doubt it is a bad Genesis, 32X or sd card issue. And this is primarily becuase the Everdrive MD is playing all of the Genesis and 32X roms just fine. If I didn't own a Mega Everdrive X5 at all I would not be seeing this problem is my point.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 07:43 PM by eightbit »

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
Can you check what version is your 32x main pcb version?

The sub pcb, where the cartridge goes, are VA0

The main pcb, the one with the two SH2 chips can be VA0 or VA1.

Offline eightbit

• View Profile
It appears they are both VA0. This is an MK-84000 model.

Offline RetroRGB

• View Profile
I'm not sure if this applies to your situation, but I had similar issues with my 32x that appeared to be related to my Mega Everdrive x7...but once I had my 32x recapped the probably went away.  If you have the ability to recap yours (or know a mod shop), it's something worth doing:  Even if that isn't the issue, we're starting to see leaky or bad caps in 32x consoles, so it'll need it at some point:  https://console5.com/store/sega-32x-cap-kit.html

Offline eightbit

• View Profile
I'm not sure if this applies to your situation, but I had similar issues with my 32x that appeared to be related to my Mega Everdrive x7...but once I had my 32x recapped the probably went away.  If you have the ability to recap yours (or know a mod shop), it's something worth doing:  Even if that isn't the issue, we're starting to see leaky or bad caps in 32x consoles, so it'll need it at some point:  https://console5.com/store/sega-32x-cap-kit.html

I am not so sure on this one. I can recap it myself (I have done quite a few Game Gear units) but I see no indication that the caps in this 32X are leaking or swollen. Granted they are old, but I think there is something else going on here....and I'd rather not risk damage to the 32X via a recap unless it is absolutely necessary.

I have tested now with two different model 1 Genesis units and an Everdrive MD v2 as well as my brother's Everdrive MD v3 and both of those flash carts can play all games (32X or Genesis) no problem and it works great.

The big difference I see between the X5 and the older Everdrives is that the older models completely reset the machine after a ROM is written, but the X5 does not do this. Something in the way it is launching the titles while using this 32X is not working correctly.

Does anyone have an early model 32X to test? VA0 (MK-84000)? I know the MK-84000A VA1 models are much more common, so maybe a compatibility issue with the first run 32X?

I have already been granted RMA for the cartridge for return, so if I can't get it sorted I guess I'll just keep on using the old EverdriveMD instead...but I would really like to know why this is happening.