Author Topic: What is USB port for + time setting  (Read 470 times)

Offline Yugisokubodai

• View Profile
What is USB port for + time setting
« on: August 31, 2019, 10:14 AM »
As title, recently I've bough SD2SNES. It works perfectly except 2 minor things that make me currious.

1. What is the purpopse of the USB port on SD2SNES? I plugged the cable, which charges my PS3 controller, to SD2SNES, and the other end to my PC. But nothing happened.
2. How to set time? Everytime I turn on the console with SD2SNES, it forces me to enter the time (default is 2012.....). How can I save the time setting?

Thanks for reading.

Offline bola

• View Profile
Re: What is USB port for + time setting
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 12:14 PM »
I wish it would let me load up a game remotely.. so I can voice command launch a game.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 12:49 PM »
1. The USB is currently only used for technical stuff. You need a tool to communicate with the SD2SNES via USB. Developers can use it for uploading roms to it without having to go via the SD card (faster testing and less wear on the SD card). There's also cheat and experimental save state tools using the USB I think, and there was talk about network play.

2. The RTC time is set in the menu (press X I think) and should save automatically (it seems to drift a bit though). If not, there is something wrong with your battery or SD2SNES. Contact the seller or manufacturer, or try replacing the battery. The RTC is used by S-RTC, SPC7110 (not supported yet) and Satellaview games.

Offline Yugisokubodai

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 01:31 PM »
Thank for your reply.
I can save other settings, like video, audio, starting up.... but except the time.

And... which tool do I need to communicate with SD2SNES?

Offline supersign

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 01:46 PM »
The USB port is also used for Crowd Control that I posted about before. It's a twitch.tv extension that allows viewers to interact with your game by using Twitch.tv Bits.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 04:11 PM by supersign »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 12:33 PM »
Thank for your reply.
I can save other settings, like video, audio, starting up.... but except the time.

And... which tool do I need to communicate with SD2SNES?
It still sounds like something is wrong with the battery. Settings doesn't use the battery, they are written to the SD card. Unlike most other flashcarts, the SD2SNES can even copy save files from games to SD card while playing, so the battery is only really needed by the RTC, and I think currently it's the only thing that uses it. MSU1 games is an exception, their save files can't be copied to SD while playing, so they require that you reset back to the menu after playing (hold reset for a few seconds) or you will loose your save.

I have never used the USB and I don't know if a tool is provided or if you have to make it or build it yourself, but it's not something for causal users. You have to look at sd2snes.de or github (https://github.com/mrehkopf/sd2snes) for information. You can use ready made programs though, like the above mentioned Crowd Control app.

Offline FartPuff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 07:24 PM »
It can probably be (is?) used for button overlays for streaming, so the viewer can see what buttons are being pressed synced with the video output of the console.  Another thought is that it can probably be (is?) used for TAS (Tool Assisted Speedrunning) to have an AI provide the button input and/or devise best/novel game"play".  The other two I can think of are mentioned already:  save states and net play.

I wish it would let me load up a game remotely.. so I can voice command launch a game.

You could probably have a rPi or something listen for web requests, and a "smart device" make a request to it upon command, and the rPi would control the SD2SNES via USB - you would probably have to leave the SNES powered at all times unless you go further and have the rPi capable of switching power for the SNES, probably need to customise the SD2SNES source code and maybe keep a directory listing copied to the rPi
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 08:12 PM by FartPuff »
retroUSB AVS / EverDrive N8 / Analogue Super NT / SAG SD2SNES Pro ( Mk. III Rev. B ) / SNES collection

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 09:12 PM »
I'm not sure why things like save states would need the USB though? The problem with save states is that there's no easy way to reliably track the contents of the S-APU which state also needs to be saved.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 07:02 PM »
Supposedly the Pro is supposed to get an updated save state feature in the unforseeable future that has improved method of saving the state.. But who knows when that'll be out, or how well it works,

Offline bola

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 10:39 PM »

You could probably have a rPi or something listen for web requests, and a "smart device" make a request to it upon command, and the rPi would control the SD2SNES via USB - you would probably have to leave the SNES powered at all times unless you go further and have the rPi capable of switching power for the SNES, probably need to customise the SD2SNES source code and maybe keep a directory listing copied to the rPi

I have everything else almost setup.. voice request to all-in-one WIFI power on consoles, switch input on tv, change the extron switcher input by http request.. almost there really.

Just missing a nice "chooser" API where I can load the ROM remotely.. as I understand it, SD2SNES only supports remote loading via USB which isn't ideal.  You could have a really nice frontend on your google tv box then (with metadata, etc).. or voice control... e.g. "play super mario world" and it would do everything. Probably inbuilt wifi would be easier in the end (like DCHDMI).
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 10:50 PM by bola »