Author Topic: New "X-Series" ED64OS?  (Read 6561 times)

Offline Galron

• View Profile
Re: New "X-Series" ED64OS?
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2019, 05:30 PM »
That’s pointless to me really since I only use ntsc system.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2019, 03:13 PM »
That’s pointless to me really since I only use ntsc system.

Yes, I really doubt many people would find a use for the auto-region-switching feature, as most people will only use an N64 of one particular region and never vary it. Still, it will remove the confusion of new owners who don't know about the current in-cartridge ED64 switch that selects the region.

Krikzz has basically snookered himself with the ED64, as existing models are so good that there's probably very little improvement that can be done to it, at least not without a totally new design and new hardware added. I mean, it seems to me that most of the features people request for the ED64 can be added in software, not hardware, and so don't merit a new ED64. These include:

1) the ability for the ED64 to use many more Gameshark codes at once that it does at the moment,

2) a full GUI for the Gameshark code entry and the ability to easily select/deselect single and multiple codes and the ability to have all code sets listed in menus for easy selection (i.e. "Infinite energy", "Infinite Ammunition", "Moon Jump", etc),

3) the ability to read long text files, page by page, and to go back again page by page, and to jump to the top and the bottom of the text,

4) the ability to edit controller paks (preferably both the physical pak, and the controller pak saves on the SD card) to copy and delete individual saves from one pak or ED64 save file to another, and also to create new saves on the SD card (so you  don't have to keep on removing the SD card and put it into your PC to create new save files manually),

5) the ability to set the ED64 so it always boots up to immediately load one particular game, bypassing the ED64's menu, for people who want to speed run the game and so simulate the N64 immediately booting up the game's real cartridge. To cancel this, the player would, say, have to hold down the Left Shoulder Button when booting the N64, as a signal for the ED64 to cancel the auto-load of the game and to instead revert back to it's normal behaviour of booting to the ED64's menu,

6) the ability for the ED64's menu to also display box art (or even a miniature video?) in the menu, when a given game is high-lighted,

7) a 'Favourites' feature, whereby, at the ED64's game select menu, if you hold down a certain controller button, say the Left Shoulder Button, then a list of pre-defined favourite games would pop up. The player

8 ) the ability to enable/disable anti-aliasing for each individual game from the ED64 menu, for more details see https://assemblergames.com/threads/is-it-possible-to-disable-anti-aliasing-in-n64-games-via-gameshark-cheats.59916/,

9) a feature whereby the N64 can be reset by holding down a predefined combination of buttons on the controller. This can be done now, via the Gameshark (which is the only way to do it, at least without physically altering either the controller itself or the N64 console) but the Gameshark codes would have to be created by someone knowledgeable in this area, and there would probably have to be several different versions of the code, as different games leave different areas of RAM free. So for this feature, the ED64's software would allow the gamer to choose whether or not to activate the in-game reset feature, and if the reset feature is desired then it would select the correct, working Gameshark codes for the game it was about to load. This feature isn't exactly vital, but some people would really love it,

All of the above can be added to the current ED64 models (v2, v2.5, v3) via updates to the OS or additional software on the SD card. I can't remember offhand any more requested ED64 features, but there may be a few. Hopefully we'll see all the above added to the ED64 range sometime. I wish Krikzz would make the OS open source, as that way fans of the ED64 could have a try at adding these features themselves.

Regarding hardware based functions, snapshot save/loading would no doubt be very popular, but if that's possible at all, then it would probably require a hardware adjustment to the N64 console, as the ED64 would need some way to monitor the writing to the write-only ports which I read might not be possible via the cartridge port (and there are no doubt more potential problems - life is never simple). The ability to copy saves from a genuine game cartridge (so you can get your old saves from games like Super Mario 64, and Goldeneye) would be popular with a few people, but probably not enough people to justify the extra cost of adding an expansion port (to slot in your old game cartridges) on the top of the Everdrive 64 x7.

I believe the 64Drive (the ED64's main competitor) now has extra RAM added, to support programs that are larger than 64MB? That would be great if any worthwhile games or programs do emerge for it, but given that N64 home-brew software is almost non-existent (and 99% of it is hacked games, if you class hacked games as home-brew, which never use more than 64MB of RAM, ) then it doesn't seem likely that the extra RAM will ever be used for something that most N64 gamers would want.

The only other change I can think of to the ED64 would be to make it more compatible with SD cards, as that's the problem we hear most about on this forum. But I don't know if that's a hardware or a software problem with the ED64.

Offline Link83

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2019, 04:32 PM »
I believe the 64Drive (the ED64's main competitor) now has extra RAM added, to support programs that are larger than 64MB? That would be great if any worthwhile games or programs do emerge for it, but given that N64 home-brew software is almost non-existent (and 99% of it is hacked games, if you class hacked games as home-brew, which never use more than 64MB of RAM, ) then it doesn't seem likely that the extra RAM will ever be used for something that most N64 gamers would want.
I believe the extra RAM on the 64drive HW2 is to potentially enable support for original 64DD disk images (Not cartridge conversions) with a future update.

Offline hepef

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2019, 06:51 PM »
When can I buy the EverDrive-64 X7 ? There is no Available at Amazon.ca button to buy it :(

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2019, 10:47 PM »
I normally play on my Japanese N64 but whenever I want to play a PAL game I use my PAL N64, so the region freeness is a welcome feature. I'd be fine with a switch though, unless you have to unscrew the case every time you switch.

Extra RAM sounds like it could be a useful feature, but it's a potential thing.
64DD support is cool and all, but I'd rather see a complete 64DD clone like that one for Mega CD.

The only other change I can think of to the ED64 would be to make it more compatible with SD cards, as that's the problem we hear most about on this forum. But I don't know if that's a hardware or a software problem with the ED64.
I suspect people are just using shitty cards. Some card manufacturers cheap out on features which the Everdrive 64 needs.

Offline Link83

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2019, 12:54 AM »
Extra RAM sounds like it could be a useful feature, but it's a potential thing.
64DD support is cool and all, but I'd rather see a complete 64DD clone like that one for Mega CD.
As far as I understand it thats exactly what the intention is with the extra RAM on the 64drive HW2 - to eventually support a 'complete 64DD clone'.

The expansion port on the bottom of the N64 that the 64DD connects to is basically a mirror image of the cartridge port on the top. It has all the same connections, so in theory it should be possible to make a cartridge which mimicks the 64DD hardware exactly but connected only to the to the top cartridge slot (Much like how the Mega SD works)

Keep in mind though that this is just a 'potential' future feature - it may take years (Especially given how busy marshall has been with the UltraHDMI recently) or never even happen.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 12:57 AM by Link83 »

Offline MadBullBunny

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2019, 07:38 PM »
I just assumed older models were going to continue to get OS updates and I went ahead and bought the v3 a couple months ago.  Seeing this announcement of the x7 now that it seems I was wrong to think that I'm bit disappointed. I had the v2 for over 5 years and now I felt like I should've just wait for the x7 instead. I hope krikzz continues to add updates to the v3 and below if its non-hardware related changes.

Offline CrashOveride

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2019, 08:50 PM »
I just assumed older models were going to continue to get OS updates and I went ahead and bought the v3 a couple months ago.  Seeing this announcement of the x7 now that it seems I was wrong to think that I'm bit disappointed. I had the v2 for over 5 years and now I felt like I should've just wait for the x7 instead. I hope krikzz continues to add updates to the v3 and below if its non-hardware related changes.

I highly doubt he'd discontinue updates for v3 over a new UltraCIC, krikzz isn't like that

It's more likely that v2.x may be affected tbh

Offline MadBullBunny

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2019, 11:05 PM »

I highly doubt he'd discontinue updates for v3 over a new UltraCIC, krikzz isn't like that

That would be ideal, but krikzz has been keeping all the versions OS's built into one previously and now the new x7 has its own.

EDIT: Also to add to that, he calls the x7's OS v3 and testing that on my v3 cart it doesn't work. So I'm going to assume carts prior to the x7 will not be getting updates past the current v2 OS.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 11:50 PM by MadBullBunny »

Offline CrashOveride

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2019, 05:04 AM »
I mean tbh there might not be that much room for improvement? Maybe he has to port over changes to an older codebase, maybe x7 code was revamped

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2019, 03:32 PM »

That would be ideal, but krikzz has been keeping all the versions OS's built into one previously and now the new x7 has its own.

EDIT: Also to add to that, he calls the x7's OS v3 and testing that on my v3 cart it doesn't work. So I'm going to assume carts prior to the x7 will not be getting updates past the current v2 OS.

I wouldn't expect the same code to work, it does after all have a newer FPGA chip on it doesn't it, plus other hardware differences over the earlier models?

Offline CrashOveride

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2019, 04:32 PM »

I wouldn't expect the same code to work, it does after all have a newer FPGA chip on it doesn't it, plus other hardware differences over the earlier models?

Considering the new chip, existing 2/3 series may be incompatible with x7. Maybe he'll backport it to v2/v3

Offline Metro City

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2019, 09:53 AM »
ok, but v3? will have the update 3.0?

Offline CrashOveride

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2019, 03:18 AM »
Krikzz has said on twitter that it is likely he will port ED64X7 os to 3.0