Author Topic: Is it just me or does Nintendos new SNES online service for Switch feel naff?  (Read 4005 times)

Offline Galron

• View Profile
Game Genie is not a company, but a series of cheating devices made by Codemasters. I don't understand what Richardragon87 means by "true hacks". A hack is a hack.

Well to me a true hack is one that only alters stuff like giving the player infinite health, infinite lives, invincibility, infinite time, infinite ammo or jumping in mid air. Anything that exceeds that such as those ones that alter sprites, change backgrounds or even make a whole new game out of it... doesn't feel the same way as the developers intended because at least with those mentioned above the game can still be played with no changes to the structure and what not.

Romhacks sometimes use unused code or even unused graphic assets. A simple sprite change like putting Mickey into Super Mario generally doesn’t change the essential mechanics of the game. Neither do level hacks.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Game Genie is not a company, but a series of cheating devices made by Codemasters. I don't understand what Richardragon87 means by "true hacks". A hack is a hack.

Well to me a true hack is one that only alters stuff like giving the player infinite health, infinite lives, invincibility, infinite time, infinite ammo or jumping in mid air. Anything that exceeds that such as those ones that alter sprites, change backgrounds or even make a whole new game out of it... doesn't feel the same way as the developers intended because at least with those mentioned above the game can still be played with no changes to the structure and what not.
OK so by "true hack" you mean those simple hacks that can be done with a cheating device. Those hacks are usually called "cheats" though.
Hacking is about unauthorised modifications of the software. No matter what kind of hack you do, it probably won't be what the developers intended because you change things to your liking.

I don't think cheat hacks feels like what the developers intended one bit, since you break the rules of the game. It's destroying the game in my opinion.

Romhacks sometimes use unused code or even unused graphic assets. A simple sprite change like putting Mickey into Super Mario generally doesn’t change the essential mechanics of the game. Neither do level hacks.
True, but it might change the style or atmosphere of the game. Just randomly putting Mickey into a Super Mario game (without touching anything else) is also like destroying the game in my opinion.

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
OK so by "true hack" you mean those simple hacks that can be done with a cheating device. Those hacks are usually called "cheats" though.
Hacking is about unauthorised modifications of the software. No matter what kind of hack you do, it probably won't be what the developers intended because you change things to your liking.

I don't think cheat hacks feels like what the developers intended one bit, since you break the rules of the game. It's destroying the game in my opinion.

Back when I was younger cheats were actually the ones the developers intended in game. So lets say we go way back to the days a site called Cheatheaven existed. Those in game codes were what I used to call cheats, I really didn't know the difference between a hack till I got a complete Smoke Monster set which had the folder called Hacks I then looked up the area where they were from and ended up patching over thousands of rom hacking versions that fans make there.

It really wasn't until I realized they were modified way too much from changing landscapes, making stuff play differently and more... I really wanted the authentic experience without the hassle of the true struggle but I didn't want to make the game change what it looked like... it was only a few years later when I decided that gamehackings versions seemed to be more what I thought a true hack was and have used them ever since.

Could you imagine I even once made a completely different category for those homebrew demo message screens and decided to give them a better name than homebrew and instead listed them by Intro's and Demo's and even categorized them by the group that made them xDD

And let's not forget the time I mistakenly labelled unlicensed games by the name they were given thinking they were the developers name when they were the Chinese names for the games they called them.. ahhha haha ah good memories ^^
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Well a cheat is a modification of the game's rules in a way that is clearly not the intended way to play the game in. How the cheat is achieved, if it is done by hacking (permanently modifying the rom or using a cheat device to hack the memory at run-time) or by some in-game button combination, doesn't really matter, both are cheats. The developer may have used these built in cheats to make play testing the game easier and then decided to leave it in when releasing the game, and possibly even leaking the cheat to gaming magazines and such. In some cases the cheat may work more like a reduced difficulty level (like the Konami code) than a clear violation of the game rules, and people might still call it a cheat though.

But I think you got my point that a cheat and a hack is not the same thing. A hack may be for cheating but doesn't have to, and a cheat doesn't necessarily have to be from a hack.

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
Wow just recently this review surfaced online on the newest ones that came out and yeah it sums up my rant but in words lol - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm9UqhztWzE
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline Davestra

• View Profile
Well, it definitely doesn't have rave reviews.