Author Topic: Mapper for Bootleg and Pirate Fighting Games  (Read 2144 times)

Offline LasagnaDevil

• View Profile
Mapper for Bootleg and Pirate Fighting Games
« on: September 21, 2019, 06:53 AM »
Hey there! I'm interested to know if stuff like World Heroes 2 (the one with Goku, Ryu, and Mario) will ever run... And there are many other cheap knockoff fighting games which use this inexistant mapper. :(

Offline dreimer

• View Profile
    • Reimi's Blog
Re: Mapper for Bootleg and Pirate Fighting Games
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 12:31 PM »
Which mapper?

This is what Krikzz has right now, not many known headers missing I guess.

Offline LasagnaDevil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 07:21 PM »
It's Mapper 83. Other pirate carts use it... I bet it's a modified version from other pirates like Super Fighter 3.

Offline LasagnaDevil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 12:35 AM »
I'm gonna bump this; in case anyone can help me out, I'll be grateful.  :)

Offline Missingno255

• hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 06:28 AM »
Yeah, bump. Don't care. :)

Anyways, Mapper 83 is the Conysoft pirate mapper. More info here: http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/INES_Mapper_083

The mapper obviously exists (I REALLY don't understand why he thinks these "not exist"!), as do the other 76 in white. Hopefully more of these will be implemented in future updates for the pro and original N8 carts. The pirate ones I'm looking forward to, are the rest of the Hummer Team/JY Company mappers (116, 121, 123, 208, 209) because at least they are actually decent for what they are worth compared to other bootleg games....

NESdev mapper grid: http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Mapper Best information for implementing these is here, along with the Nestopia-UE source code.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 06:46 AM by Missingno255 »
Owned Everdrives: Everdrive MD, Mega Everdrive, Everdrive N8, Everdrive GB X5, Turbo Everdrive, Super Everdrive, Everdrive GBA

Misc Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline dreimer

• View Profile
    • Reimi's Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 12:53 PM »

Yeah,
Mappers 083, 121, 123, 208, 209 not existing
Mappers 116 not supported

Why he says not supported? Simple answer for that. Everyone out there thinks he can pile up some s*it and call it a game these days and while being at it invent another even more useless mapper version. iNES v1 was a mess already, but these "game" devs/idiots need EVEN MORE ids and invent even MORE useless pirate mappers. I understand that there is no priority for these ones as these games are not worth the cardboard PCB the parts were glued onto!
Newest example: Caltron 9-in-1 with a so called mapper 389. It is patched with less than 16 bytes to be a normal MMC3 cart!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 05:28 PM by dreimer »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 02:57 PM »
The iNES mapper system is simply just not adequate for mapper metadata, that's why NES 2.0 was invented, and in a way that it's backwards-compatible with iNES. It's a mess, but that's a problem with the platform.

Those mentioned mappers do all exist, it's just that the Everdrive's mapper table is outdated.
Like it's said on the nesdev wiki: "Do not assume undocumented mappers are currently unassigned; consult the source code for well-used emulators like Nestopia, FCEUX and Nintendulator". So basically the source code of the leading emulators are what controls what mapper numbers are assigned and which ones are still unused.

Hopefully it will be updated when NES 2.0 arrives to the N8.

Offline NewRisingSun

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 05:47 PM »
Quote from: dreimer
Newest example: Caltron 9-in-1 with a so called mapper 389. It is patched with less than 16 bytes to be a normal MMC3 cart!
What are you talking about? There is no MMC3 patch for that cart, and there can never be one, because MMC3 has a fixed bank at $E000-$FFFF, which makes it unsuitable for multicart use. I have made an MMC5 patch, but it occupies more than 16 bytes.
Quote from: dreimer
but these "game" devs/idiots need EVEN MORE ids and invent even MORE useless pirate mappers
The "idiots" assign new mapper numbers when new cartridge circuit boards are discovered. A lot of time goes into reverse-engineering rare and unlicensed hardware. Your attitude is not appreciated.

Offline dreimer

• View Profile
    • Reimi's Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2019, 12:58 AM »
I wanted to stop here to not hijack even more, but NewRisingSun blocked PMs from me. Sooo, I have to post it here, hoping that he reads it before my report to the mods kicks in and the thread is cleaned up from my stuff and all after that. Yes, I reported myself. If he does read it, great, one misunderstanding less. If not... then not.

PM for NewRisingSun:
Small misunderstanding here. I have absolutely no problem with the guys reversing and documenting these mappers. Nothing is further from me and my opinion than to say something like that.
My problem are the ppl thinking that every new so called game needs a new wheel invented out of no reason. Just check the mapper documentation how many of these are mere clones or made for cheaper parts usage than anything of any use. It's like rewriting stuff again and again instead of using available resources.
And yes, the patch I was talking about was for ONE game inside of the pack, so mea culpa here.
I could have posted this in the topic, but I want to leave the thread hijacking I started there in a sometimes showing up rage when ppl ask for another "mapper" for some.... GAME from Krikzz at a minimum. You are free to post this there or leave it be. Cya

-----

Anyways sorry for causing trouble. Back to topic I guess?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 01:44 AM by dreimer »

Offline LasagnaDevil

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 06:30 AM »
I understand that there is no priority for these ones as these games are not worth the cardboard PCB the parts were glued onto!
Honestly, no need to be this rude. Tons of nice fighting game hacks use those mappers, and I honestly want to play those.

Are there any news on this?