Author Topic: SD Card Compatibility  (Read 3656 times)

Offline Morden

• View Profile
SD Card Compatibility
« on: February 19, 2019, 07:47 PM »
Why is the SD card compatibility so ridiculously low?

So I bought the ED64 v3. I thought it would be the last N64 flash device I'd ever need to get, and it would be, if it supported SD cards. You know, the medium it's supposed to use? What is the deal with SD card compatibility, or rather INCOMPATIBILITY? For a $175 device that's supposed to use SD cards, this thing really sucks at doing what it's supposed to be doing.

I've tried every card I had on hand. It won't work with the slow old ones, because they're too old and too slow. It won't work with MicroSD and adapters, because of who knows what. But I've tried several cards sized between 8 and 32 gigs, brand ones, and it JUST WON'T WORK. Some of them work with the oldest OS, so clearly, the device is capable of handling them, but not with the newer ones, with Aleck64 support, etc. I get 0xF0 FAT error, despite the fact that menu loads just fine.

Please, don't tell me to get more cards, because that's just insane. It's crazy to have a product that's this incompatible at this pricepoint. I just shelled out almost $25 on another brand card just an hour ago and it still won't work. Any ideas?

Also, I am not retarded, so obviously the files are where they should be, and the cards are all FAT32 formatted. I've used several tools, including Tuxera's SD formatter. There's literally nothing else I can think of to make this work, except asking Krikzz to simply fix this. The card compatibility is a major dealbreaker for me. I'm starting to regret the purchase.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 11:21 PM by Morden »

Offline Lisko

• View Profile
Re: SD Card Compatibility
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 10:46 AM »
I use samsung evo plus 64GB microSD and provided adaptor, formatted in fat32 and 32K cluster size and works really well. It's also the only one I ever tried as it worked straight and flawlessly.

Offline Morden

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 09:51 PM »
I use samsung evo plus 64GB microSD and provided adaptor, formatted in fat32 and 32K cluster size and works really well. It's also the only one I ever tried as it worked straight and flawlessly.

Again, trying yet another card is not the kind of help I was looking for. I know exactly how they're supposed to be formatted and what the cluster size should be. This is not the issue. And, as it turns out, it's some kind of bug. I have upgraded from OS 2.04 to 2.13 and that's then the issue started, on a card that previously worked. What seems to have caused this is the memory card backup feature. As soon as I tried booting without it present, ED64 wasn't able to go through the auto backup and load process. One cycle without the card in the controller seemed to fix it. It took a lot of trial and error to get there, and I wouldn't have ever guessed this was the cause. But it was. If you're having the same issue, try booting once without the memory card in the controller.

Offline Immorpher

• View Profile
    • YouTube Page
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 11:16 PM »
Dark ambient horror utilizing a completely-original synthesizer on YouTube, Bandcamp, and Facebook.

Offline Morden

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 11:34 PM »
The issue wasn't the card. It appears to be some sort of a bug in the backup and restore routine for the memory card file. It tricks you into thinking it's a FAT32 issue. You can stop posting things I've never asked for in the first place. I have one of the cards listed as working, anyway. I wouldn't have posted here if I wasn't at my wit's end. I'm glad I was able to resolve the issue myself, because I could have bought 50 more cards and I would still be getting the same error if I hadn't figured it out. So no. Throwing new cards at the problem doesn't always work.

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 06:53 AM »
This is clearly a bug, I hope Krikzz fixes it in the next OS update.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline Junninx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 06:18 AM »
 I also have this problem and never saw a info explaining why this happens exactly, it would be good to have a response from krikzz.

Offline bLackH0le

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 03:04 PM »
Dear All,

I just wanted to notice that I have same problem with the brand-new everdrive 64 X7 model.

The problem occurs when we reset the console (reset button) after a game playing. The next game does not start at all, no one game boot then.
After a couple of trying however the game finally boot, only if there is no controller memory card.
Otherwise we need to format sd card again (or try a complete reset cycle without memory card as suggested above).

Self-diagnosis also indicates SDC and ROM errors after the bug has occurred until complete card format.

I tried three different sd cards with exactly same result. (latest OS from Krikzz site)
The issue is annoying for a daily experience and I wanted to say that I have others Krikzz products and never had any single problem like that.

There is no solution at that moment but I hope this could be fixed in the future with the next OS.

Best regards,