Author Topic: ROM Hacking with the EverDrive  (Read 406 times)

Offline Taboo Tongue

• View Profile
ROM Hacking with the EverDrive
« on: October 09, 2019, 05:52 PM »
Is it possible to use my EverDrive to do ROM Hacking?
Are there tools for it? Or would I be better off using something else, and just testing it on my EverDrive 64?

Offline triclon

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacking with the EverDrive
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 08:37 PM »
 An EverDrive 64 IS extremely useful for testing rom hacks you cook up on a PC on actual N64 hardware.  It's takes less than a minute to to just copy a rom hack onto an SD card and swap it out of your PC to an Everdrive and flip the power switch on the N64 to test out the hacked ROM.   It does have Gameshark/ActionReplay code capabilities (although it is limited to to the number of lines of code), but that just limits you to real basic hacking.  It has no built in debugger or other features for ROM/RAM hacking beyond that on the Everdrive itself.

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 09:06 PM »
If you're interested in ROM hacking, PJ64 has a nice debugger built into it.  It's the best one available at the moment.  Personally, I download the latest one that LuigiBlood builds since I do some 64DD hacking.  Otherwise, NEMU is a much older one with an OK debugger.  MAME can technically debug too, but it is a huge PITA though it has some features not available in other N64 debuggers.

The ED64 or 64Drive are the only ways to test your hacks on hardware, which is important.  These days just about everyone is trying to create hacks that work on original hardware.  The reason being that emulators change regularly, so if your hack only works on a certain emulator, one day that may not be true.
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive64 3.0, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES

Offline Taboo Tongue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 10:31 AM »
..., PJ64 has a nice debugger built into it.  It's the best one available at the moment.  Personally, I download the latest one that LuigiBlood builds since I do some 64DD hacking.  Otherwise, NEMU is a much older one with an OK debugger.  MAME can technically debug too, but it is a huge PITA though it has some features not available in other N64 debuggers.
Thank you. I tried getting PJ64 to work on my Linux box and my Android but was having trouble getting it to load the ROM (No Mercy). Mupen works perfect on my Android and has a flashing problem on my Linux box. I'll try NEMU and report back! Thanks again!