Author Topic: Corrupted FMV video for Zelda Redux (Video inside!)  (Read 2250 times)

Offline sysopgrace

• View Profile
Corrupted FMV video for Zelda Redux (Video inside!)
« on: October 14, 2019, 11:58 AM »
Today I patched the Zelda ALTTP with https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2594/
I applied the OPTIONAL VIDEO patch first and then then REDUX NEW GFX patch second.

I added all of the PCM files and the MSU file from the OPTIONAL VIDEO pack and then loaded it up on my SD2SNES -> AND IT WORKED!

Then I moved stuff around on my memory card and suddenly the video is all corrupted... I have repeated the above steps three more times, tried renaming stuff and moving it around more and nothing appears to fix the broken video! The audio from the video is still playing however.

I am a still photo to demonstrate what I mean. I will link to a video file here so you can see what it looks like and sounds like. HERE IS THE VIDEO: https://iruberleet.org/files/rb/sd2snes-corrupted-fmv-zelda-alttp.m4v

Any help would be deeply appreciated as I feel quite bad that it was working and has now broke for an undetermined cause.

Additional:
I have tested the same exact folder of rom/pcm/msu files in emulators and they are running perfectly which makes this all the more baffling.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 12:03 PM by sysopgrace »

Offline teamvb

• View Profile
Re: Corrupted FMV video for Zelda Redux (Video inside!)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 07:37 AM »
what type of sdcard or mirosd (spec)u using ,console ,power supply eg.
EVERDRIVE 64v3,SUPERDRIVE v2, SD2SNES rev F (mod to H),UFO PRO SD,GAME DOCTOR 7 128MB USB,TURBO EVERDRIVE v1,MEGA EVERDRIVE V2,EVERDRIVE MD V1,MASTER EVERDRIVE,FLASHKIT MD,EVERDRIVE N8/FAMICOM,EVERDRIVE GBA X5

Offline teamvb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 07:48 AM »
i had this problem ; http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=2884.msg34398#msg34398

now i use super nt no problems ,also test on
 different console
EVERDRIVE 64v3,SUPERDRIVE v2, SD2SNES rev F (mod to H),UFO PRO SD,GAME DOCTOR 7 128MB USB,TURBO EVERDRIVE v1,MEGA EVERDRIVE V2,EVERDRIVE MD V1,MASTER EVERDRIVE,FLASHKIT MD,EVERDRIVE N8/FAMICOM,EVERDRIVE GBA X5

Offline Stripeless

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 11:25 PM »
I’m not sure if you have found a fix for this yet or not, but I had a similar issue where my MSU-1 games weren’t loading or performing properly. Super Road Blaster actually gave me a fatal-error message, stating “data access errors may be caused by slow storage media or bad and/or missing files.”

I upgraded my 8GB Class 10 Toshiba SDHC card to a newer 32GB UHS-1 SDHC by PNY and the problems resolved themselves.

Offline ikari_01

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 01:05 AM »
That is a strange misbehaviour of the SNES hardware actually. Depending on the layout of DMA vs. HDMA channels it sometimes ignores data transfers when HDMA to register $2100 is carried out on a channel adjacent to a general purpose DMA channel (which is what my player did to limit the visible picture area to 160 scanlines). Thus it simply doesn't transfer the entire image properly.
I had made an updated version of the example video player (the usage of which I always discouraged because it is quite limited) but I don't think it has been adopted very much.

... Now that I think about it, register $2100 and $2133 have more recently been discovered as "somewhat special" in that they are sensitive to the clock phase relation of S-CPU vs. S-PPUs with regard to HDMA operation. Can you check if "Reset patch for clock phase" is enabled in the "In-game Settings" menu and if by any chance enabling it helps with the issue?

Offline sysopgrace

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2020, 03:50 AM »
Hey ikari_01,

Thank you for taking the time to help me out here.
I tried that and it appears to do the trick!
shikashi/however: I also reformatted the micro SD card with the SD Card Formatter app and then copied (the exact same) files back over to it. It may have been some manner of micro SD card corruption but I am glad to see the cutscenes again!