Author Topic: Dreamcast Everdrive possible?  (Read 3219 times)

Offline ThunderForce

• View Profile
Dreamcast Everdrive possible?
« on: October 14, 2019, 05:05 PM »
It's a question for Kritzz and anyone who can technically answer:

Would it be possible to make a Dreamcast Everdrive using the expansion port (the one that is used by the Modem) or the serial port?

I think it would be the ideal solution to have all the advantages of Everdrive while mantaining all the functionalities of the Dreamcast (GD Rom drive included).
Please take this in consideration for future products.

Offline supersign

• View Profile
Re: Dreamcast Everdrive possible?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 06:31 PM »
Someone already sort of asked that on Twitter and replied:
Quote from: Krikzz
Hi. I love dreamcast, but for now i have no plans about cb-based systems

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 07:46 PM »
Dreamcast is a big step up for Krikzz, far more advanced than any system he's hit before.  As for the technique itself, it's something I've actually mentioned on various forums.  The expansion port certainly has the speed to handle it, unlike the serial port.  You'd also eliminate the issues with VA0 and VA2 consoles, making it truly universal.  The PSIO team continues to work on DCIO in the background, but I believe that's still being looked at as a drive replacement. 

Offline ThunderForce

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 01:31 PM »
So technically it is possible, that's a good news.

Hope Kritzz will work on it in future, unfortunately all other solutions require to get rid of the gd-rom drive, so they aren't suited for my needs.

Offline Davestra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 12:42 AM »
Possible? With the type of technology that we have nowadays, it's definitely doable.

Offline ThunderForce

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 03:01 PM »
Sorry if I resume this topic

But now that Mega Everdrive Pro is released, and Everdrive started with CD systems (Mega CD), do you think that Dreamcast and Saturn Everdrive will be possible in a near future?

Any news from krikzz?

Offline Relikk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 03:27 PM »
Don't see much point when there's Fenrir, Rhea/Phoebe, GDEmu and MODE available.

Offline ThunderForce

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 05:34 PM »
like I said previously, I was thinking to a more natural solution where you don't have to phisical remove the optical drive.

Maybe an everdrive that sits in the dreamcast modem slot.

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 09:38 PM »
like I said previously, I was thinking to a more natural solution where you don't have to phisical remove the optical drive.

Maybe an everdrive that sits in the dreamcast modem slot.

I proposed that, but was told by someone far more knowledgeable that this would not be possible.  Essentially the way the data can be accessed. 

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 10:22 PM »
Maybe an ODE that can be connected so that the optical drive is daisy-chained and can be disabled and bypassed with a switch if you want to use the optical drive again.

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2020, 02:05 AM »

But now that Mega Everdrive Pro is released, and Everdrive started with CD systems (Mega CD), do you think that Dreamcast and Saturn Everdrive will be possible in a near future?

Any news from krikzz?

Maybe this is not the best place to ask. If you want a straight answer from Krikzz, I think he is more active on twitter. if you geniunely want to know if its possible, then a more technical forum (like nesdev or atariage?, try classic gaming discord?), or a dedicated dreamcast forum would have the kind of audience that could answer your question. In the end, only someone like Krikzz, Kevtris, Brian Parker, etc with hardware design and FPGA experience would be suited to answer your question IF they were aware of the dreamcast's schematics. Don't just believe any forum "expert".
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO - MODE - MISTer

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2020, 05:59 AM »

Any news from krikzz?

Maybe this is not the best place to ask. If you want a straight answer from Krikzz, I think he is more active on twitter. if you geniunely want to know if its possible, then a more technical forum (like nesdev or atariage?, try classic gaming discord?), or a dedicated dreamcast forum would have the kind of audience that could answer your question. In the end, only someone like Krikzz, Kevtris, Brian Parker, etc with hardware design and FPGA experience would be suited to answer your question IF they were aware of the dreamcast's schematics. Don't just believe any forum "expert".

Well I scoured the many forums I visited and found the information in question proving that the expansion port is not feasible.

The expansion port is almost certainly not going to work. The Dreamcast G2 bus that the expansion port is attached to is specifically designed not to be able to read or write to the bus the GD-ROM is on, nor does it have DMA access to the memory mapped to the game execution.

Furthermore, Krikzz himself wrote this on Twitter not long ago, indicating he's not looking at new devices right now.

https://twitter.com/krikzz/status/1281629351277191169

In near future i am going to work over software updates for existing carts. Not sure what will be next. I had a PCE project at pipeline for a long time, even prototype was manufactured, but right now i just not ready for another massive project.

Maybe an ODE that can be connected so that the optical drive is daisy-chained and can be disabled and bypassed with a switch if you want to use the optical drive again.

The PSIO team have teased this type of device, though "they are not releasing any details until they're close to release."