Author Topic: Save file wiped after reset (ED64 v2.5)  (Read 428 times)

Offline Sqwv

• View Profile
Save file wiped after reset (ED64 v2.5)
« on: February 24, 2020, 01:16 AM »
Game was Star Fox 64. I had just completed the last medal I needed to unlock expert mode. When the credits were done rolling, I enter my initials for the rankings, and then I notice that all of my rankings are gone from 2nd through 10th place, except for the run I had just finished in 1st. This seemed strange to me, but the save didn't fail to load in this session, all of my medals except the final mission I needed were there when I first booted up. Anyways, after entering my initials into the ranking screen the game then goes back to the title screen and I reset to make sure my progress is saved. Now I boot up and everything is gone, it's like a completely fresh save file. All the rankings have the default names, none of the missions have been completed, let alone acquired the medals.

Saving seems to work fine again, I can complete a mission or two, die to get the game over screen enter my initials into the rankings, reset and then power off the N64, power back on load up the game and my progress is all there. I backed up all of my save files just in case, and tried to make progress in another game and save to see if it would wipe another game's save and everything worked normally. In other words, I cannot replicate the behavior, but I still don't know what caused it.

Any ideas what happened here?

Offline Sqwv

• View Profile
Re: Save file wiped after reset (ED64 v2.5)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 04:29 PM »
I was able to find GameShark codes to re-unlock the medals I had and get into expert mode and then save the game, so I'm not too upset about losing my progress. My rankings are still gone but I don't care much about that. I'm mainly just interested in what could have caused the save file to wipe, because I don't want that to happen again. I thought maybe if there was a save battery going bad in the cartridge, but when I looked into it the EverDrive 64 v2.5 doesn't have one.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: Save file wiped after reset (ED64 v2.5)
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 09:27 PM »
Only V3 and later has a battery. That's why you have to reset after saving so it can copy the save to SD card even if the game is made for saving with battery and SRAM.

Things that I could think of have happened:
* You accidentally forced a different save type so Star Fox 64 couldn't be saved.
* You shut the power too soon after the reset last time you played before it was done writing to SD card. Wait for the message to disappear.
* You had very bad luck and the save file was spontaneously corrupted at some point (either in SD or in ED64's save memory) and was wiped by the game. Some games displays an error message if this happens but not all.

A good idea is to make regular backups of all your save files on the SD card to your computer. If it happens again you might want to try and reformat the SD card.