Author Topic: Turbo Duo backup saves from Internal to Turbo Everdrive  (Read 915 times)

Offline Loganix

• View Profile
Turbo Duo backup saves from Internal to Turbo Everdrive
« on: November 13, 2019, 05:57 AM »
Hello,

Is it possible to backup saves from the internal memory from the US Turbo Duo to the Turbo Everdrive V2.5 like with an Tennokoe Bank card?

From what I understand the Tennokoe Bank card is region locked and would need a region free Turbo Duo but might still not work, not sure.

Thanks for any input.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: Turbo Duo backup saves from Internal to Turbo Everdrive
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 12:42 PM »
Nope the TED does not have that function. It's possible to implement it in an update though.

Tennokoe Bank isn't region locked other than that the pins are for Japanese PC Engines, just like all Japanese Hucards (no Japanese game is region locked in software). You just need a pin adapter.

Tennokoe Bank and the Arcade Card are also the two only Hucards that are known to be unsupported by the TED.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 12:44 PM by nuu »

Offline Loganix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 09:11 AM »
Thanks a lot for your answer. Would be nice to see if that feature could be implemented.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 11:38 AM »
Yes it would.
Either support for Tennokoe Bank or adding an option to the Everdrive menu that can copy between the backup RAM and SD card. Or both.

Offline TheShadowRunner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 07:50 PM »
It definitely would be very welcomed if Krikzz could implement this, in addition to an option to swap the menu buttons: (I) to Select, (II) to Cancel.
Yes it would.
Either support for Tennokoe Bank or adding an option to the Everdrive menu that can copy between the backup RAM and SD card. Or both.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 08:43 PM »
Yes that too!

Offline TheShadowRunner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 05:26 PM »
Yes that too!
And it's out!
Krikzz was kind enough to release a new TED v2 fw with swapped buttons for the menu.
It can be downloaded here:
http://krikzz.com/pub/support/turbo-everdrive/v2/os/
Thanks Krikzz !!

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 09:44 PM »
Nice! Thanks Krikzz!!

Offline elmer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 10:49 PM »

While it's great to see KRIKzz release a new version of his OS yesterday, I was sad to see that there weren't more new features in it.

In strangely coincidental timing, I released a public beta of my replacement OS for the Turbo Everdrive yesterday, too.

While it actually does have support for running the Tennokoe Bank software, it is much easier to use its own built-in BRAM backup functionality.

Anyone that wishes to try it can download it here ... TEOS Beta4.

Just extract the archive, and copy the files to the root of your Turbo EverDrive's SD card.

In particular ... the contents of the /TBED/ directory *must* go in that directory.

If you have already got some of those files in your /TBED/ directory, then you must have been running an earlier beta version ... please do NOT overwrite those specific files, or you will lose your BRAM saves.

While you *can* theoretically rename teos.pce to OS.PCE and put it in your /TBED/ directory, and it should work, I do NOT recommend doing that at this point. This is a beta test version of TEOS, and it is far safer to just run it like a normal cart from KRIKzz's OS ... you have been warned!

If you find any problems, then it would be better to report them in the "Homebrew Development" section of the "PC Engine Software Bible forum", rather than cluttering up KRIKzz's forum here.

Developers ... please note that TEOS does not currently support uploading HuCard images through the Turbo EverDrive's USB connection!

EDIT: Link updated to beta 4 version which fixes the free space display on empty BRAM slots.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 09:02 AM by elmer »

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019, 01:25 AM »
Going to give both a try. I've been tracking your progress on TEOS for a while, elmer. :)

EDIT: Is the KRIKzz update just for the button swap? I didn't see any save functions, unless I'm just being derpy.

elmer, that backup is something I've wanted for a long time! I lost some saves a while back to Shapeshifter, which apparently randomly wipes the entire save RAM. Fun times! I lost a fairly advanced Xak III save in the process.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 05:25 AM by Sarge »
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline elmer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2019, 09:15 AM »
EDIT: Is the KRIKzz update just for the button swap? I didn't see any save functions, unless I'm just being derpy.

AFAIK the button swap is the only significant change in KRIKzz's latest OS, so nope, no save functions.

When I tested it, I still get the graphical glitches in Populous that lots of folks have reported over the years, too.

That's definitely something caused by his OS, because I don't have the same problem in TEOS.

Anyway ... I've updated the file link in the message above to the latest TEOS beta 4.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 09:18 AM by elmer »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2019, 01:31 PM »
Tennokoe Bank support, built-in BRAM backup tool and fixing Populous? This is too good to be true! Thank you elmer!!

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2019, 06:16 PM »
Rock on. Thanks so much, elmer!
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline elmer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2019, 10:51 PM »
Tennokoe Bank support, built-in BRAM backup tool and fixing Populous?

It also supports patching the System Card 3 (both Japanese and American) at runtime in order to avoid the potentially-damaging bus-fighting on the TED2 that was reported years ago.

That means that you no longer need to run my patched copy of those on your TED2, and you can go back to using the original verified-correct dumps of those HuCards, which is nice for purists.

The latest System Card 3 patch in TEOS also fixes the crash that was found in "DRAGON SLAYER - THE LEGEND OF HEROES II" when it is run with the TED2 operating as the Super CD RAM.

The problem isn't really because of the TED2, it is because Dragon Slayer still has some development-system code in it that should have been removed before shipping, and that code gets confused when it sees all of the TED2's RAM.