Author Topic: Earthwork Jim freezes with Mega Everdrive X5  (Read 491 times)

Offline sharporigami

• View Profile
Earthwork Jim freezes with Mega Everdrive X5
« on: November 17, 2019, 09:46 PM »
I was playing Earthworm Jim and it kept freezing. At first it was freezing at the beginning of New Junk City after the level title screen. I kept resetting and I was able to get to What the Heck but then it froze at the first instant in Down the Tubes just after the level title screen. I tried different roms and I tried skipping to Down the Tubes and it kept freezing. I get a purple screen or a menu with save state, load state, or menu options.
I don't think the Everdrive is broken. I had been using it with a High Definition Graphics, with ext port, Model 1, non-tmss, va3, sega genesis without issue. I recently got a no-High Definition Graphics, no ext port,  model 1, with tmss and the game suddenly started freezing in the first level and third level.  I have googled to try and find some answers and have had no luck. I have not taken apart my genesis but I think it might be a va6 since others have had the same issue with this model of sega genesis.
Is there a patch for this?

Offline gaavoid

• View Profile
Re: Earthwork Jim freezes with Mega Everdrive X5
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 11:31 AM »
I think it’s specifically the VA6.5 that has this issue. The VA6.5 I owned would crash with Earthworm Jim and Super Street Fighter 2 when using Cammy (using X3). The only thing I could do to fix was to get a new console.
I have a model 1 VA6 Genesis, model 2 VA2.3 Genesis, model 2 VA4 region modded PAL Mega Drive and there’s no issues with any game. I also had a model 1 VA4 that worked fine but would sometimes crash when resetting a Master System ROM.
I tested the X3 on a different VA6.5 and the crashes occurred exactly like the one I owned previously and just as you described.
Maybe if someone donated a VA6.5 to Krikzz he’d be able to figure it out and fix it.
I also get SD card corruption with a Model 3 VA2 Genesis after resetting/powering off the console with the X3 so makes it basically unusable on that console.

If you search through my posts, I’ve mentioned this issue a few times 😂
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 11:37 AM by gaavoid »

Offline sharporigami

• View Profile
Re: Earthworm Jim freezes with Mega Everdrive X5
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 09:21 PM »
Is your model 1 va6 a tmss console? I am looking into getting a high def console but non-tmss are more expensive on ebay.
The model I have is a v0 but it has a discrete yamaha chip.

Offline TheShadowRunner

• View Profile
Re: Earthwork Jim freezes with Mega Everdrive X5
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 03:33 PM »
Hmm JPN va0 is already a "High Def" system ?