Author Topic: Tobu Tobu Girl Deluxe makes it's way into the SGB enhanced and Boarder catagory  (Read 2402 times)

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
Actually, a lot of games did set up more than 4 static palette screens, it was fairly common. You actually don't need to upload a program that takes complete control of the SNES to run code, you can actually upload simple routines with DATA_SND and make changes to the SGB program itself for extra effects or whatever you want as long as there is enough free RAM then setting up a simple JUMP command.

I remember reading about that on those dedicated sites that dump data in those folders which had a description of parts they deciphered, it also led me to finding out how to download a coded file that could either boot a SGB2 screen, crash it or even cause a interference on the GB device if the file was opened on a EDGB device.

There are three banks basically unused and was meant for this purpose. You could access the unused / unfinished SNES OBJ_TRN mode and set up locations in VRAM and have them interact with the GB game for example, you could even overwrite and expand on currently existing functions but that would take a lot more effort and time so I guess it is "understandable" why sadly none of this happened in any commercial game, though surprisingly larger game studios didn't touch the Super Game Boy hardware with a ten foot pole including Nintendo.

I remember reading of this one on a huge SGB topic that had a really weird way of wording what they were calling the topic and I also remember reading of this on the TCRF section of the SGB too.

Instead they mostly locked the player out of palette selection which was ridiculous even by their standards. I reverse-engineered the SGB and SGB2 BIOS revisions and I can tell you that there was a LOT that could have been done to spruce up games if they were just given a little more time and effort and at most 256kb of ROM space, which was still a lot for smaller game institutions at the time.

I am 99.9% certain if the boarder and the enhanced color pallet is running without the game that locked you out of accessing it causes the lock to allow you to change to different selections plus keeping the locked one they made specifically for that said game.

Pin 30 here is the RESET pin which should reset the hardware. I think all EDGB (even the first one without a switch) might be using this to reset the SGB border after loading a game.

Ah so that's how the device resets the boarder when loading an enhanced game, I kind of thought you meant there was a button under the label of the EDGB device that reset the game. Still though just like a regular game the EDGB cannot reset the boarder back if the enhanced game boarder from a different game was already running on it when going back to the menu or loading a non enhanced SGB game which would retain the unique pallet selection as with the boarder.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 03:50 AM by Richardragon87 »
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline nensondubois

• View Profile
Actually, a lot of games did set up more than 4 static palette screens, it was fairly common. You actually don't need to upload a program that takes complete control of the SNES to run code, you can actually upload simple routines with DATA_SND and make changes to the SGB program itself for extra effects or whatever you want as long as there is enough free RAM then setting up a simple JUMP command.

I remember reading about that on those dedicated sites that dump data in those folders which had a description of parts they deciphered, it also led me to finding out how to download a coded file that could either boot a SGB2 screen, crash it or even cause a interference on the GB device if the file was opened on a EDGB device.

There are three banks basically unused and was meant for this purpose. You could access the unused / unfinished SNES OBJ_TRN mode and set up locations in VRAM and have them interact with the GB game for example, you could even overwrite and expand on currently existing functions but that would take a lot more effort and time so I guess it is "understandable" why sadly none of this happened in any commercial game, though surprisingly larger game studios didn't touch the Super Game Boy hardware with a ten foot pole including Nintendo.

I remember reading of this one on a huge SGB topic that had a really weird way of wording what they were calling the topic and I also remember reading of this on the TCRF section of the SGB too.

Instead they mostly locked the player out of palette selection which was ridiculous even by their standards. I reverse-engineered the SGB and SGB2 BIOS revisions and I can tell you that there was a LOT that could have been done to spruce up games if they were just given a little more time and effort and at most 256kb of ROM space, which was still a lot for smaller game institutions at the time.

I am 99.9% certain if the boarder and the enhanced color pallet is running without the game that locked you out of accessing it causes the lock to allow you to change to different selections plus keeping the locked one they made specifically for that said game.

Pin 30 here is the RESET pin which should reset the hardware. I think all EDGB (even the first one without a switch) might be using this to reset the SGB border after loading a game.

Ah so that's how the device resets the boarder when loading an enhanced game, I kind of thought you meant there was a button under the label of the EDGB device that reset the game. Still though just like a regular game the EDGB cannot reset the boarder back if the enhanced game boarder from a different game was already running on it when going back to the menu or loading a non enhanced SGB game which would retain the unique pallet selection as with the boarder.

The Everdrive does not actually reset in SGB mode, it just runs the game as it normally would. You *could* actually write a DATA_SND routine and JUMP to it using SGB commands as the NP GB Memory cart does to boot into games. Border selection was never disabled, in fact there isn't even complete code to do that in the SGB BIOS. ICON_EN could only disable palettes and or controller selection and register file transfers. The wording in the official Game Boy documents just gives the most basic information and even excludes a few commands such as OBJ_TRN because it was never properly implemented. TEST_EN does not actually work and points to a ret.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile

The Everdrive does not actually reset in SGB mode, it just runs the game as it normally would. You *could* actually write a DATA_SND routine and JUMP to it using SGB commands as the NP GB Memory cart does to boot into games. Border selection was never disabled, in fact there isn't even complete code to do that in the SGB BIOS. ICON_EN could only disable palettes and or controller selection and register file transfers. The wording in the official Game Boy documents just gives the most basic information and even excludes a few commands such as OBJ_TRN because it was never properly implemented. TEST_EN does not actually work and points to a ret.

Sure enough from this image https://imgur.com/a/35mOebC

It can indeed run according to this image on another game https://imgur.com/a/oA4MejO

Post changed:

In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

Offline nensondubois

• View Profile
That makes sense because wwapping out actual games does not actually remove what is already loaded into the SNES but there is no way you could copy what is in RAM to cart or use it in any meaningful or useful way. You can maybe intercept the packets as they're being sent and maybe save them to cart by writing a lot of custom routines. I haven't actually done this but it may be an interesting project.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
That makes sense because wwapping out actual games does not actually remove what is already loaded into the SNES but there is no way you could copy what is in RAM to cart or use it in any meaningful or useful way. You can maybe intercept the packets as they're being sent and maybe save them to cart by writing a lot of custom routines. I haven't actually done this but it may be an interesting project.

Strange I thought it was already noticed years ago... anyways I did a few more tests on certain games even one that takes advantage of a full color pallet too - https://imgur.com/a/bZlC7Il

Post changed: