Author Topic: EverDrive N8 PRO has been released!  (Read 14983 times)

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
EverDrive N8 PRO has been released!
« on: November 28, 2019, 01:05 AM »
Cyclone IV FPGA.
16MB of ROM memory. 8MB for PRG and  8MB for CHR.
256K of battery ram for saves.
Real time clock for logging date and time of saves.
High quality 6-layers PCB.
ARM based 32bit I/O co-processor for SD and USB operations acceleration.
Up to 1024 files per folder, or unlimited if file sorting disabled.
Wide support of file systems: FAT16/FAT32/EXFAT.
In-game menu. You can save game or return to system menu without physical reset.
Multi slot save states. 100 independent slots for save states.
Instant ROM loading.
USB port for development and system update without removing SD card.
Improved audio mixing circuit with op amp.
Dedicated button, which is used for swap FDS disk side or as alternate method to call Save State menu.
Built-in NSF player with expansion chips support (VRC6, VRC7, Sunsoft-5b, Namco-163).
Battery voltage monitoring. Battery can be replaced in time if it going dry.
Ultra low battery ram consumption. Estimated battery life 25 years.
Wide range of supported mappers.
NES2.0 partial support.
Game Genie cheats support.

https://krikzz.com/store/home/56-n8-pro-fami.html

At the moment only Famicom version, NES version will come out bit later, in 2 months approx

« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 06:36 PM by KRIKzz »

Offline skaman

• View Profile
Re: EverDrive N8 PRO has been released!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 06:03 AM »
Bought one.

Thanks KRIKzz for making it available for the sale!

Happy Holidays!

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 10:39 AM »
Excellent.

I'm working currently on perfecting the balance of external audio with AV Famicom and Original Famicom for the N8 Pro that will match the original cartridges.
It will be ready sometime this weekend.

I can say that the quality of this thing is astonishing, no boot problems, super fast.
I'm having fun.  :)

« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 11:10 AM by James-F »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 12:17 PM »
Looks nice! Volume control for each expansion audio type, FDS disk side button and NES 2.0 support! Not sure what RTC is for but I suppose it could be used by homebrew.

I have a question about the in-game menu. Is it running in parallel to the game somehow or is the game patched (like in-game-hooks of the SD2SNES)? If it has its dedicated button I guess it's running in parallel hardware.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 06:09 PM »
Looks nice! Volume control for each expansion audio type, FDS disk side button and NES 2.0 support! Not sure what RTC is for but I suppose it could be used by homebrew.

I have a question about the in-game menu. Is it running in parallel to the game somehow or is the game patched (like in-game-hooks of the SD2SNES)? If it has its dedicated button I guess it's running in parallel hardware.

RTC is useful for save files logging.

Patching is not used for in-game menu and save states.
It works this way: Save state core in FPGA constantly monitors cpu bus, FPGA sniffs state of controller buttons and vblank interrupts. Once detected that certain buttons combination is hitted on controller , FPGA will intercept next vblank interrupt and redirect it to save state handler. After than system state will be saved to internal memory we can boot in-game menu, when we will back to game, system state will be restored from internally saved snapshot. If You hit "save state" internally saved snapshot will be moved on sd card. Cart also have option to save without in-game menu, like in original N8, in this case menu booting skipped and snapshot always moves to/from sd card.
Dedicated button useful in case if you use some poor clone which not allow joypads monitoring via system bus, with original N8 you can't use save state at all with such systems.[

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 06:15 PM »
Excellent.

I'm working currently on perfecting the balance of external audio with AV Famicom and Original Famicom for the N8 Pro that will match the original cartridges.
It will be ready sometime this weekend.

I can say that the quality of this thing is astonishing, no boot problems, super fast.
I'm having fun.  :)

Looks damn serious! (:

Offline Tianfeng

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 07:01 PM »
Looks good.  I grabbed one right away.  I am most excited about the audio and I will be doing some fourier capture when I get mine for sure.

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2019, 10:45 AM »
Jesus Christ!!
This looks awesome, can't wait for the reviews ::)
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline James-F

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2019, 10:55 AM »
I'm putting extra care for VRC6 and Sunsoft-5B since Akumajou Densetsu and Gimmick are the gems of external audio on the Famicom.
These will (already) sound within 0.5db of the original cartridges, where average human hearing can detect 1db in good studio conditions.
Actually, I'm putting extra care for all of them so the default presets will sound great for even hardcore enthusiasts, like myself.  :)

I have most cartridges by I'm also relying on this excellent source for Gimmick (av modded original famicom + original Gimmick):
http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?t=8639

EDIT:
Right, so I'm going to use an even more accurate method and reach 0.1-0.2db accuracy,, with this:
https://github.com/bbbradsmith/nes-audio-tests

Also my OG Famicom vs AV Famicom are -4.75 db external audio relative difference, so I can calculate % from OG to AV without measuring,, but I measure anyway.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 02:02 PM by James-F »
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Offline RickyKustafason

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2019, 03:13 PM »
When I go the store link KRIKzz posted, there is no button for amazon to buy this. Strange as the other product pages have amazon buttons.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2019, 06:58 PM »
When I go the store link KRIKzz posted, there is no button for amazon to buy this. Strange as the other product pages have amazon buttons.

They need time to be arrived on Amazon. Probably carts will available on amazon in the begin of 2020

Offline Aether Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2019, 07:17 PM »
OK....Silly question...I have the AVS and I would like to get this, but how tall is this cartridge? Is it roughly the same as an NES cartridge? I have my AVS sitting just underneath my TV but using the NES slot, it doesn't require the "lid" to be open.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2019, 07:34 PM »
OK....Silly question...I have the AVS and I would like to get this, but how tall is this cartridge? Is it roughly the same as an NES cartridge? I have my AVS sitting just underneath my TV but using the NES slot, it doesn't require the "lid" to be open.
Famicom version with adapter isn't fits with closed lid.

Offline Akira

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2019, 11:54 PM »
What kind of adapter should we use to fit the Famicom N8 to the NES? Will the cart still work on the original NES if the new Famicom N8 + adapter can't be pressed down? My NES can only play games if the cart is pressed down after it is inserted.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2019, 12:24 AM »
What kind of adapter should we use to fit the Famicom N8 to the NES? Will the cart still work on the original NES if the new Famicom N8 + adapter can't be pressed down? My NES can only play games if the cart is pressed down after it is inserted.

There is no suitable adapter in the market as far as i know. Using famicom version with front loader is a possible but such solution is kinda ugly. I would not buy famicom version for using with front loader. I already posted in twitter how is it looks: https://twitter.com/krikzz/status/1200110547682955264?s=20