Author Topic: EverDrive N8 PRO has been released!  (Read 19902 times)

Offline zanth

• View Profile
Re: EverDrive N8 PRO has been released!
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2019, 11:53 AM »

@KRIKzz Will existing game save SRAM files and save state files from the previous N8 work with the Pro N8? If they work, do they need to be renamed or will they work as is?

Got a shipment notification earlier today, looking forward to it  ;D

regular saves will work, they should be renamed to .srm, save states files incompatible

I renamed all the .nes files in my SAVE folder from my original N8, copied them to the save folder on the new N8 Pro, and it seems really random on which ones work, and which ones do not. Any ideas on why some are not working properly?

Offline zanth

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2019, 12:23 AM »
Also when starting up Zelda 2 FDS, I get an Err 22 after is says Change Side B. It does load further, but it adds delay for sure. I have the auto side change turned off. Also was curious to see the old FDS load screen did not come up. Did I forget to do something maybe?

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2019, 01:08 AM »
Also when starting up Zelda 2 FDS, I get an Err 22 after is says Change Side B. It does load further, but it adds delay for sure. I have the auto side change turned off. Also was curious to see the old FDS load screen did not come up. Did I forget to do something maybe?

Err 22 appears after than you selected character? I just tried enter to game and everything seem fine
As for boot logo: Everything fine, this is how it works on N8 PRO

Offline zanth

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2019, 05:06 AM »
Hmmmm, I will try and get you a video of it happening.

Offline zanth

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2019, 06:09 AM »
Here is video of it:

https://youtu.be/cvR_9IJGXPQ

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2019, 01:42 PM »
Here is video of it:

Is that crc32 checksum in the end of filename ? Can't find such ROM if so

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2019, 08:21 PM »
I got my N8 PRO cart and did some quick testing. Everything looks and sounds great, except there is one big issue that was not present in OG N8: Famicom expansion port controllers/accessories don't work on the main menu or in-game menu  :'(. They still work within Japanese Famicom games that read inputs from the expansion port, but the N8 Pro menus behave like USA/PAL games that don't support expansion port.

@KRIKzz: can you please add expansion port polling for the menu in the next update, like on the OG N8? This is really important because the OG Famicom has really small cords, so being able to use expansion port pads helps a lot. If this fix could also make non-Japanese ROMs that normally don't support expansion port read inputs from there as well, that would be a fantastic extra, but at least for menu navigation it's essential.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2019, 08:32 PM »
I got my N8 PRO cart and did some quick testing. Everything looks and sounds great, except there is one big issue that was not present in OG N8: Famicom expansion port controllers/accessories don't work on the main menu or in-game menu  :'(. They still work within Japanese Famicom games that read inputs from the expansion port, but the N8 Pro menus behave like USA/PAL games that don't support expansion port.

@KRIKzz: can you please add expansion port polling for the menu in the next update, like on the OG N8? This is really important because the OG Famicom has really small cords, so being able to use expansion port pads helps a lot. If this fix could also make non-Japanese ROMs that normally don't support expansion port read inputs from there as well, that would be a fantastic extra, but at least for menu navigation it's essential.

Ok will fix it. For menu it can be done but game controller handlers is out of my control

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2019, 09:20 PM »
Ok will fix it. For menu it can be done but game controller handlers is out of my control

Wonderful, I'm sure expansion port support in menus will be great news to a lot of people! Thanks KRIKzz!  ;D

FYI, some other more minor issues I encountered:

1. Like with the OG N8, it can happen sometimes that consoles modded with NESRGB there is random video noise (like random pixels going on/off) across the screen, requiring a power cycle until it doesn't happen. This was reported before for N8, and some people were able to fix it by removing a component from the console motherboard, but didn't work for everyone.

2. For the first three attempts to use the N8 Pro there was a "No SD card" error message, after re-inserting the cart and SD card a few times, it finally worked and detected the SD card.

3. FDS sound is much better than before, but still a little off compared to real RAM adaptor. Not sure how to describe it, the sound feels smaller, and a bit more metallic. Maybe someone like James-F can look into it to find better tweaking. But it's already a good sound, so nice work so far!

Expansion cart audio is fantastic, I really like the presets for multiple consoles. I can finally stop relying on original carts for those, and that alone makes the PRO totally worth it  ;D I also tested big ROMs like Legend of Link and they load fine!

Offline zanth

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2019, 10:30 PM »
Here is video of it:

Is that crc32 checksum in the end of filename ? Can't find such ROM if so

No idea what that number is, the checksum of the file is A118214F.
It matches the file name "Link no Bouken - The Legend of Zelda 2 (Japan) (Rev 1)" from the FDS GoodSet collection.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2019, 11:08 PM »
FYI, some other more minor issues I encountered:

1. Like with the OG N8, it can happen sometimes that consoles modded with NESRGB there is random video noise (like random pixels going on/off) across the screen, requiring a power cycle until it doesn't happen. This was reported before for N8, and some people were able to fix it by removing a component from the console motherboard, but didn't work for everyone.

2. For the first three attempts to use the N8 Pro there was a "No SD card" error message, after re-inserting the cart and SD card a few times, it finally worked and detected the SD card.

3. FDS sound is much better than before, but still a little off compared to real RAM adaptor. Not sure how to describe it, the sound feels smaller, and a bit more metallic. Maybe someone like James-F can look into it to find better tweaking. But it's already a good sound, so nice work so far!

1. Have no idea what is in could be. Also i not sure if it something what should be fixed on everdrive side or may be on NESRGB side.
2. Likely it just due some dirt on contacts
3. Just have nothing to say here (:

It matches the file name "Link no Bouken - The Legend of Zelda 2 (Japan) (Rev 1)" from the FDS GoodSet collection.

Still can't find rom with such checksum. Would be cool if you can share yours

Offline zanth

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2019, 12:20 AM »

Absolutely, how should I go about that?

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2019, 01:20 AM »

Absolutely, how should I go about that?

Got your file. Problem related to bad file. There is 16 extra bytes in the end of disk image,  removed them and auto swap working fine now.

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2019, 04:26 AM »
1. Have no idea what is in could be. Also i not sure if it something what should be fixed on everdrive side or may be on NESRGB side.

Here is a video showing what it looks like:

https://youtu.be/gzkxLXF9maY

I don't think it's only on Everdrive side, since it can also happen when using an FDSStick. But it never happens with official cartridges, so these homebrew devices must be doing something different that causes this interference when used with NESRGB. Hopefully some day we can find a full solution.

And regarding bad disk images, the GoodSet should be avoided for FDS. I remember having to remove extra bytes from them a long time ago as well. Better use the Redump images.

Offline flex

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2019, 05:04 AM »
Is this available in the UK at all?

I cant see how to purchase from one from the store.